this might not be appropriate for these forums but...

WAR_Nuker

Reaction score
but the guys on the half life 2 deathmatch forums are bums. my question has to do with hosting a dedicated internet server. i used to be able to host them fine, and not have it host under my network ip. however, one day i decided to host a lan game for shits and giggles and it hosted with my network ip, like its supposed to. only now, when i want to host an internet game, it still uses my damn network ip. is there a way i can manually change where it says my ip? i want to manually change it from my network ip to my internet ip, since no other method seems to be working. if i did this, hopefully people might ACTUALLY be able to join. dont move this thread either please....it would defeat the whole purpose of posting this.

dont move this thread either please....it would defeat the whole purpose of posting this.

I can't see any reason whatsoever why this is in a forum dedicated to HL2 mapping. Moved

because i post often in the hl2 mapping section....and i am familiar with the people there

In which case they'll see the redirect to here.

The forum has specific sections for a purpose.

WAR_Nuker said:
but the guys on the half life 2 deathmatch forums are bums. my question has to do with hosting a dedicated internet server. i used to be able to host them fine, and not have it host under my network ip. however, one day i decided to host a lan game for shits and giggles and it hosted with my network ip, like its supposed to. only now, when i want to host an internet game, it still uses my damn network ip. is there a way i can manually change where it says my ip? i want to manually change it from my network ip to my internet ip, since no other method seems to be working. if i did this, hopefully people might ACTUALLY be able to join. dont move this thread either please....it would defeat the whole purpose of posting this.

Well, as i've never hosted a lan game before, I can't help you. Sorry. ;(

btw, if you call Pi Mu Rho a jerk, he will ban you. :)

NICE....turns out my comp wasnt on the dmz mode. i guess you have to turn off all comps on your network and THEN turn on dmz (for the server computer at least) or it wont work. it gets the ip from the default gateway, and if that gateway is your network ip, source ded server will set up a game using that ip....no matter what you choose on the pulldown menu - internet or lan. so yeah in conclusion your default gateway needs to be set to your internet ip address, and not your network address. check your firewall settings if you wish to tinker with this.

WAR_Nuker said:
NICE....turns out my comp wasnt on the dmz mode. i guess you have to turn off all comps on your network and THEN turn on dmz (for the server computer at least) or it wont work. it gets the ip from the default gateway, and if that gateway is your network ip, source ded server will set up a game using that ip....no matter what you choose on the pulldown menu - internet or lan. so yeah in conclusion your default gateway needs to be set to your internet ip address, and not your network address. check your firewall settings if you wish to tinker with this.

That was an entertaining read, thx. Still shows you have no idea!

WAR_Nuker said:
i called him a jerk?

no, i said: "if"

Usage Note: In informal writing both if and whether are standard in their use to introduce a clause indicating uncertainty after a verb such as ask, doubt, know, learn, or see: We shall soon learn whether (or if) it is true. In such contexts, however, the use of if can sometimes create ambiguities. Depending on the intended meaning, the sentence Let her know if she is invited might be better paraphrased as Let her know whether she is invited or If she is invited, let her know. ·In conditional sentences the clause introduced by if may contain either a past subjunctive verb (if I were going) or an indicative verb (if I am going; if I was going), depending on the intended meaning. According to the traditional rule, the subjunctive should be used to describe an occurrence that is presupposed to be contrary to fact, as in if I were ten years younger or if Napoleon had won at Waterloo. The main verb of such a sentence must then contain the modal verb would or (less frequently) should: If America were still a British colony, we would have an anthem that human voices could sing. If I were the President, I should (or would) declare November 1 a national holiday. When the situation described by the if clause is not presupposed to be false, however, that clause must contain an indicative verb, and the choice of verb in the main clause will depend on the intended meaning: If Hamlet was really written by Marlowe, as many have argued, then we have underestimated Marlowe's genius. If Kevin was out all day, then it makes sense that he couldn't answer the phone. Note also that the presence of the modal verb would in the main clause should not be taken as a sign that the verb in the if clause must be in the subjunctive, if the content of that clause is not presupposed to be false: If there is anything I can do to help, I should be happy to do so. He would always call her from the office if he was (not were) going to be late for dinner. ·Again according to the traditional rule, the subjunctive is not correctly used following verbs such as ask or wonder in if clauses that express indirect questions, even if the content of the question is presumed to be contrary to fact: We wondered if dinner was (not were) included in the room price. Some of the people we met even asked us if California was (not were) an island. ·With all deference to the traditional rules governing the use of the subjunctive, it should be noted that a survey of the prose of reputable writers over the past 200 years would reveal a persistent tendency to use the indicative was where the traditional rule would require the subjunctive were. A sentence beginning If I was the only boy in the world, while not strictly correct, is wholly unremarkable. But the corresponding practice of using the subjunctive in place of the indicative may be labeled a hypercorrection. ·In spoken English there is a growing tendency to use would have in place of the subjunctive in contrary-to-fact clauses, as in if I would have been the President, but this usage is still widely considered incorrect. See Usage Note at doubt. See Usage Note at should. See Usage Note at wish.

damn...

its interesting to read things you said years ago. i really didnt know what i was talking about. let this be a lesson to everyone.

also, sorry for reviving this piece of shit.

Then why did you nerco the thread?

It is something that you could have just smiled at yourself, or maybe I'm just grumpy in this heat.

Haha this is hilarious, you were trying to learn though eh? 4 years of progress since I hope.

yeah definitely. i dont know i was loaded last night and it made me laugh.

but...back then i apparently solved this issue by doing what i did. i dont know how the hell that works.

Back