This will truly amaze you..

I'm just happy someone made the captain planet reference. It was quicker than I was expecting, but the important thing it is there.

And....that is one large star. When I was watching the video, near the end I was actually praying it was going to stop but it kept going for like three more stars.

Someone hold me :eek:

Short Recoil could have it in a fight.

And astronomical calculations are not famous for their accuracy, it's possible that the star is 10 times smaller or 10 times larger. But it still wouldn't make much difference in that movie.

And I think astronomers know what is the maximum possible size for a star based on hydrodynamic equilibrium equations (I think that's what they call them).

Well... not JUST me... but life all around the universe. Especially sentient life.

Well we're really only important or significant because we think we are. The rock that falls off a cliff and squishes you couldn't care less. Not to mention the very concepts of "importance" and "significance" are our own intellectual and emotional creations and thus innately bound up in our own egotistical view of the universe. So applying these ideas to outside objects with respect to ourselves and the universe at large is at best a rather nonsensical philosophical exercise.

Anybody cracked a "Hey look! It's your mom!" 'joke' yet?

Gravitational effects aside, if the Earth were as big as that star, we would truly live in a flat world. Think about it...

Uuuuh... no we wouldn't. If the earth were that big we wouldn't exist. Because we simply wouldn't of had the chance to evolve. Again, gravitational affects aside, we would still be a sphere, due to the way things compact! You sound like you should be on the flat-earther forum... with all the crap you're spouting.

yeah but it would take you millions of years to notice any curvature on that surface.....

im guessing he means the horizon would be so far away that the area covered inside the horizon would be equal to vastly more than the area of the earth, maybe?

LOL @ Ravioli. But if you were to put VV Cephei in the position of the sun now, then it would swollow up Saturn. I think I said that in my first post, bah too lazy to check lol.

I mean, that star is going to blow up into a supernova...just imagine how big that explosion is going to be. And if you think that's large, try to imagine how big Gamma Ray Bursts are, when too much matter gets crammed into a black whole, 2 enormous jets of energy get propelled on both sides of the black whole at nearly the speed of light.

And yet, even gamma ray bursts are extremely tiny compared to the actual size of the universe. Humans are never going to grasp all this knowledge, unless they A) live long enough to evolve into a Type II or III civilization, or B) come into physical contact with a supreme being and having them show us the way.

Yeah, the world revolves around you.

On a slight tangent, I'd just like to share with you all the most important picture taken by man.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0403/hudf_hst_big.jpg

There are 10,000 galaxies alone in that single image; no individual stars. Every little speck is a galaxy.

And that image wasn't of the entire sky. That image is a box the size of 1/10 of the moon from our perspective on the ground. "That's what you see in nothing."

Here's an article that realizes my feelings on that image: http://losangeles.broowaha.com/article.php?id=302

I love that picture.
We're so small D:

A) live long enough to evolve into a Type II or III civilization
Eh what?

Edit - Also, does this make anyone else wanna play Spore? I mean, all the enormity and grandness of the universe is nothing if you can't blow the shit out of it.

Eh what?

Edit - Also, does this make anyone else wanna play Spore? I mean, all the enormity and grandness of the universe is nothing if you can't blow the shit out of it.

Asimov / I robot / Will Smith

Know what I mean?

Actually,

Wikipedia said:
The Kardashev scale is a general method of classifying how technologically advanced a civilization is, first proposed in 1964 by the Russian astronomer Nikolai Kardashev. It has three categories, based on the amount of usable energy a civilization has at its disposal and increasing logarithmically:

Type I — A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available on a single planet, approximately 1016 W. The actual figure is quite variable; Earth specifically has an available power of 1.74?1017 W. Kardashev's original definition was 4?1012 W. (Kardashev had originally defined Type I as a "Technological level close to the level presently attained on earth", "presently" meaning 1964.)
Type II — A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available from a single star, approximately 1026 W. Again, this figure is variable; the Sun outputs approximately 3.86?1026 W. Kardashev's original definition was 4?1026 W.
Type III — A civilization that is able to harness all of the power available from a single galaxy, approximately 1036 W. This figure is extremely variable, since galaxies vary widely in size. Kardashev's original definition was 4?1037 W.
All such civilizations are purely hypothetical at this point. However, the Kardashev scale is of use to SETI researchers, science fiction authors, and futurists as a theoretical framework.

imagine if our planet was that big, we wouldn't have even circumnavigated the globe yet, cultures wouldn't have met or integrated, flights between them would take years.

Amazing perspective. Thanks for the link. Shows you that even an atom to us could be the size of a universe. Small and Big is infinite I believe.

Back