Through the Looking-Glass

Polaris

Spy
Reaction score
So, maybe I found in Portal materials some interesting connections and references to Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.
First, you are female character in strange environment what looks like some kind of game. Also portals mirroring surroundings like the looking-glass.
Secondly, we have this damn cake mystery. THECAKEISALIE from www.aperturescience.com and this quote from Portal media:
"The experiment is nearing its conclusion. The enrichment centre is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake."
From Alice's Adventures in Wonderland:
Alice noticed with some surprise that the pebbles were all
turning into little cakes as they lay on the floor, and a bright
idea came into her head. `If I eat one of these cakes,' she
thought, `it's sure to make SOME change in my size; and as it
can't possibly make me larger, it must make me smaller, I
suppose.'
Soon her eye fell on a little glass box that was lying under
the table: she opened it, and found in it a very small cake, on
which the words `EAT ME' were beautifully marked in currants.
`Well, I'll eat it,' said Alice, `and if it makes me grow larger,
I can reach the key; and if it makes me grow smaller, I can creep
under the door; so either way I'll get into the garden, and I
don't care which happens!'

So she set to work, and very soon finished off the cake.
Also aperturescience.com questionnaire is very interesting.

Page 22
Question: Which interrogation technique do you think would be most effective on you?
Answer: 26: Alice in Wonderland

Page 42
First name pet: Alice's cat was Dinah, by the way.

Page 49
Pick your favorite type of cake.

So, what do you think? Is there something about it or am I really crazy?
*Mumbling Jabberwocky*

Yeah, sure. I memorized Jabborwocky in 8th grade, I still know it.

I have concluded that there are two possible senarios:

You were looking at the site at the same time as you were reading some alice in wonderland books and got lucky

or

You cross referenced every page of the interent with every page of the portal website.

Given the amount of time between the site going live and now, I suspect the latter. In which case, I don't know wether to congratulate you, or infrom you that you must get laid imediatly, for the good of your health. Of course, if its the former, then the same applys. Dick get must wet you.

Disclaimer - Please note, I am drunk. If this can be veiwed in anything other than a joking light, please rest assured that I am in fact joking. Good find :)

Man, I was kind of hoping they wouldn't be referencing the Alice books. Everyone references them... :/

Either way, good find.

Also, in the questioneer, there is a 'favorite color' option of "alice blue"

I have concluded that there are two possible senarios:

You were looking at the site at the same time as you were reading some alice in wonderland books and got lucky

or

You cross referenced every page of the interent with every page of the portal website.

Given the amount of time between the site going live and now, I suspect the latter. In which case, I don't know wether to congratulate you, or infrom you that you must get laid imediatly, for the good of your health. Of course, if its the former, then the same applys. Dick get must wet you.

Disclaimer - Please note, I am drunk. If this can be veiwed in anything other than a joking light, please rest assured that I am in fact joking. Good find :)
Cross referencing Flash based website is technically impossible, I guess. I read the books and spend lot of time with Aperture Science website.
I agree, staring into this monochromatic mind**** the whole night is not good for my sanity.

Nice find Vectyr! THX

It seems to me that in "Through the Looking Glass" when Alice says something about a door and how to get through it could be interpretted as she needs to use a PORTAL....anyone see the connection?!

Brilliant! This is the first breakthrough since THECAKEISALIE was discovered. I applaud you...even if you end up being wrong.

The phrase "Mad as a hatter" from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a reference to mercury poisoning, and you know who experienced mercury poisoning...founder of the Aperture Science - Cave Johnson.

hmm.. well the original portal game called " Narbacular Drop " the player was also a female, and a princess. So problaly why They in the first place used a girl. But then later added the Alic in wonderland kind of atsmosfear. ANd ND is also about the princess was kidnapped when walking in the forrest. just a side note

The phrase "Mad as a hatter" from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a reference to mercury poisoning, and you know who experienced mercury poisoning...founder of the Aperture Science - Cave Johnson.

hmm....

I'm very tempted to say that's coincidence...

But I really wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't....

After all, mercury poisoning is a very strange way to go...

Back