Throwing w/o manipulator in new bink!

Spiffae

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else noticed... there's a bunch of new stuff in the ravenholm clip, and and part of it involves the player picking up a barrel without the manipulator, tossing it, then shooting it to kill some zombies... and did anyone notice how awesome the headcrab ragdoll was?

:thumbs:

yea, lots of new footage in ravenholm...

to bad it's from an earlier build of the engine.

Still. SWEET

havent seen any of the new ones yet

A2597 said:
yea, lots of new footage in ravenholm...

to bad it's from an earlier build of the engine.

Still. SWEET

Who says it's from the earlier build of the engine?

It's an expansion from E3 2004. Meaning it's the same build as the one in E3 2004.

Don't know where he got that idea...

Yeah its an old version but OMG, I cannot imagine what valve did now.

Yeah by using his health you can thow anything, He used 15HP in 3seconds Throwing the barrel

Gorgon said:

Yeah by using his health you can thow anything, He used 15HP in 3seconds Throwing the barrel

wait, are you sure it took health to throw the barrel, and it wasn't him getting hit?

Wow, the first game where its possible to die from over excerting yourself, better start laying off the pies :S

That's lame - you lose health when you pick up stuff?

I'm sure he was getting hit by a headcrab.

Spiffae said:
wait, are you sure it took health to throw the barrel, and it wasn't him getting hit?

Almost certainly it was Gordon getting hit by the headcrab immediately behind him. Losing health when throwing a barrel is the worst idea ever.

Where do some of you get your ideas from?

It's from a newer build of the engine than we saw in 2003, and no health was taken because of the fact that he threw the barrel.

Yes u lose health, and Gordon was surrounded by alot of Zombies, He was quick,

1-Lowerd the gun
2-Lift up the barrel
3-95 after Throwing 80
4-It took 3-4Seconds to do it

Gorgon said:

1-Lowerd the gun
2-Lift up the barrel
3-95 after Throwing 80

Gorgon I think it must be a headcrab attack, I mean you lose your health by picking up stuff is the most lamest thing ever in a VG.

Gorgon said:

1-Lowerd the gun
2-Lift up the barrel
3-95 after Throwing 80

Just your brain for a second, why would Valve put something like that in the game? It doesn't even make any sense.

Ask valve, OK , I will take a screenshot wait for 2 mins

Because barrels are so heavy that Gordon gets a hernia when he tries to lift it by himself.

Lift with your legs, not your back.

Anyway, he's getting attacked by headcrabs as he throws it.

If they wanted to do somthing a little better, heavy objects should get a little temporary bar (or even aux power) which makes u drop it after time, the health thing does seem a bit odd.

He said 2004 ;)

Chris_D said:

It's from a newer build of the engine than we saw in 2003, and no health was taken because of the fact that he threw the barrel.

Gorgon said:

no he didn't.

I just watched the bink again, and he loses the health in the building just before he picks it up.

yes u can lift up stuff without the grav gun just as any1 could lift stuff in real life.

What is so special? They just added another axis to the use movement of HL1.

u dont see legs when you look down? suppose thats stupid too

Milo 7 said:
u dont see his hands when he picks it up??
thats stupid

Considering the sheer amount stuff you can pick up and the different positions you can pick it up with, it would take Valve a while to get all the animations down and one thing Valve does not need is more reasons to delay.

Yah that was so awesome... and did you notice your crowbar makes marks on them :D

Oh, and there were 2 more fans...I think this is part of traptown.

lazicsavo said:
and one thing Valve does not need is more reasons to delay.

Amen to that. Good point, though. Making separate holding postures for each item? That would take a lot of time.

then why just dont take picking stuff out?

floating stuff in midair looks silly they got the manipulator already, and then it doesnt looks so dumb

Milo 7 said:

floating stuff in midair looks silly they got the manipulator already, and then it doesnt looks so dumb

Its quicker to be able to pick stuff like the barrel up while holding the pistol, rather than having to switch guns.

Anyway it was the same in Deus Ex (and IW) and it was fine.

Chris_D said:

Big children have big imagination :E

Gorgon said:
Sorry guys, I was so wrong, His health was not affectd, but I am 100% correct that he lift up the object/s without The Gravity Gun :
http://img43.exs.cx/img43/6821/One.jpg
http://img43.exs.cx/img43/3500/Two.jpg
http://img43.exs.cx/img43/5750/Three.jpg

:)

:rolleyes:

picking up objects is nothing new. Remember you could do it in HL1.

the reason this is so cool is because you can pick up objects and not worry about them flying 50 ft away from your hands when you turn.

Valve is doing a GREAT job with this game. And to think this will have a story to go along with it :)

Milo 7 said:

Yeah. Let's remove a big old chunk of gameplay because your not happy with how its done. Some people. :rolleyes:

Joeslucky22 said:
:rolleyes:

picking up objects is nothing new. Remember you could do it in HL1.

the reason this is so cool is because you can pick up objects and not worry about them flying 50 ft away from your hands when you turn.

Valve is doing a GREAT job with this game. And to think this will have a story to go along with it :)

You could drag, but not pick up, as I remember.

Back