Thruster Canister Explosive BOOM! Video Tutorial

IchI

Reaction score
Hey, I got a little bored of doing the standard video tutorials and some people have been crying for some advanced stuff, me and Nic2 from #Halflife2.dev on quakenet got together and started a little project, we found out how to basiclly recreate the scene from gone in 60 seconds where the explsosive canister falls on the floor and begins to fly around killing people. This is a quite advanced tutorial so beware to all the noob0rs out there. Although it would be good to see how people will less experiance coupe. Hopfully my explanation is good enough so even they can follow it. Many people will have many problems and you will see why after you finish the video tutorial. Its just good fun. NOW LETS MAKE BOMBS! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

If you do not really wish to study this video tutorial atm, you can always just download it now and play the vmf (contained in the .rar file) and just have some fun. Its a good idea to do this anyway. Compile my map and shoot the canister once to see what all the hype is about :D

The file is quite large at 70mb, but trust me. Its worth it. This is definatly my best video tutorial yet :D

Spam it around for me if you like, remember to please direct them to a forum that I! post on, rather than making your own post with my download link, thanks.

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/Hammer_Thruster_Video_Tutorial;34058

IchI, can you do one on mounted turrets? It could be a short one. The map posted on here with one doesn't get the turret working properly.

Awesome video tutorial. Really enjoyed this one, thanks!!

I didn't learn much please don't kill me :p... God there are so many quotes that would be good.

I learned alot about mainly the entity system. Seems alot like Starcrafts Map maker, I haven't played around with them in Hammer yet, as I am more worried about my brush skills. Good stuff though man, what do you plan on doing next.

Great tutorial, fun stuff, gonna try it now :D

Great tut, just made it and it works perfectly only problem i had was with the canister staying visible for a bit before breaking like you said happens sometimes but that may just be my crappy pc :p Gonna have a lot of fun experimenting with this.

Z|insane said:
what do you plan on doing next.

I dunno, I have been working a lot with Nic2 latly, we managed to make a buggy fly kinda like an airplane. But its really hard to control. I also added trusters to the back of a buggy so it was kinda like the batman car. But I was having problems getting it to trigger properly and I havn't had much time to try it out. It will proberly definatly be a fun tutorial. I might go ahead and just get all the basic tutorials out of the way quickly though. It depends. I really need to fill the spaces on:

Basic Hammer Configuration
Basic Brush Work
Basic Entity Work

These would only be short though, I could proberly get these done all in 1 day.

Remember these will be put alltogether on a website. Its hard to explain and I havn't got much time to do it anyway. So you will just have to see :D

Great tutorials IchI. Perhaps your maps would compile faster if you turn RAD off. It shouldn't make too big a difference to the appearence of the map and you could save quite a bit of time.

Awesome man !!
You should be a mod in this forum :p

DigiQ8 said:
Awesome man !!
You should be a mod in this forum :p

I can't say I would want to be a moderator since I would never be bothered to read even single post on a certain section. But I wouldn't mind having rights to my own threads. Thats all I want tbh.

Ichi, maybe a tip for a next tutorial: try making a working combustion engine with an env_explosion as the combustion. I've tried it, and it didn't work (almost) but I haven't tried doing it yet with constraintsystems who may provide the needed extra accuracy. It should be possible.

Yeah, dude, you do rock. Your tutorials have all been good so far, and i'll prolly download this one this weekend (downloaded the rope bridge one but don't really need it yet, since the map i'm working on is all inside). If you COULD make a tutorial for making working turrets tho, that would be MUCH appreciated (hehe). Cuz everythign i've seen so far is malfunctioning. I can make one that makes a firing noise and swivels right and left, but no damage, no sprites. I've seen another that works fine in hl2 single player, and does damage in multiplayer (AND lets you use the model) but doesn't swivel in MP. It'd be great to know how to do it.

Oh i have a tip for you ichi.

Instead of copy and paste which seems to mess up one axis, you can simply select the item, hold down shift, click and drag the item to the new location, release the mouse button BEFORE you release shift. Try it, its much easier.

Triggerhappy41 said:
Oh i have a tip for you ichi.

Instead of copy and paste which seems to mess up one axis, you can simply select the item, hold down shift, click and drag the item to the new location, release the mouse button BEFORE you release shift. Try it, its much easier.

kewl, never knew that. I know u can do it in 3dsmax. Anyway. Thanks alot.

hehe.

I noticed there was some error with copy and paste. Is it an all over copying error? Cuz when i try to do it for the face of a building i need to be the same on both sides (for balance in team games) i end up with both copies messed up slightly.

Shouldn't be copying error in something so friggin simple.

I have moved to hl2world because I was able to get a sticky thread and I am able to keep my post updated, so please direct your self to for all the latest video tutorials.

http://www.hl2 world.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=18686

Thanks.

Back