Tips+tricks for fps in map?

genocide604

Reaction score
I am currently finishing my map, but have stumbled into some problems the fps is crap, lowest 25 -35.. and this is unacceptable.. I have area portaled every room and or enclosed space, ive used some history brushes.. i have the no draw texture on everything you cannot physically see..i dont have many props and i dont have many brushes.. the map is comprised of the oudoor being the perimeter and the building is in the middle... so why is my fps gone to shit?

Please some help would be nice.. I have read through every tut on snark, hl2werld.. etc etc..
:rolling:

hmm, can i see a few shots showing off the shape of your map?

genocide604 said:
I am currently finishing my map, but have stumbled into some problems the fps is crap, lowest 25 -35.. and this is unacceptable.. I have area portaled every room and or enclosed space, ive used some history brushes.. i have the no draw texture on everything you cannot physically see..i dont have many props and i dont have many brushes.. the map is comprised of the oudoor being the perimeter and the building is in the middle... so why is my fps gone to shit?

Please some help would be nice.. I have read through every tut on snark, hl2werld.. etc etc..
:rolling:
I'm guessing there's a lot of cuts been made in the bsp. Find all the smaller details that aren't required for blocking vis and make them all func_detail.

Then place occluders to block prop detail when not visible

edit the individual prop data so the smaller props vanish from view closer than the larger ones.

place brushes inside displacement/terrain to block visibility

Then look at the area portals and ensure their setup correctly.

Place hint brushes to separate high detail area's from low detail area's aswell as visibilty

Hi

One point_spotlight decrese fps on map by 30-45 fps..

Keep them out of rooms with windows ;)

Turn on +showbudget to see what's slowing your fps down...

JEO

What's the difference if you make it "no dynamic lighting"? (The point spotlight entity.)

ok I know hammer well enough except for the tools. Hint, Area Portals, all of those wierd tols textures I dont know what to do with them. Can somebody help.....I just noticed that this thread was talking about area portals so I figured you guys knew about this stuff. Thanks.

Back