To build or buy?

chu

Reaction score
Ok, I am planning to get a new computer, one strictly to be used for designing. My first plan is to buy a 20" Apple Imac and the second plan is to build a rig as cheap as possible to meet my needs and buy a 23" Apple Cinema Display. (which I believe you can use on a non-Apple PC right? Since it does have a DVI connector.)

If I were to build I would like to be able to build a fairly small PC to take up less space as possible. So i figured I would go with a micro-atx setup. Now I am not too familiar with micro-atx, what are the differences between a regular ATX and a micro-ATX?

So now I ask you which road should I take? If you have any experience with an Imac let me know.

:sniper:

if all your using it for is for designing go with the 20" imac seeing as it dropped in price, everything you need, and will cost less most likly because of the apple monitor. and need i say no ms

My answer would be to build it. You know your what computer specs you want and what it can handle, since you will be building it yourself. You can't really get that from a computer put together by the manufacter. Have you built a computer before?

Micro-ATX cases are used for Micro-ATX motherboards. They are smaller than the regular sized motherboards. Me, personally, prefer the full sized Mobo though. ;)

I bought an alienware (fx-55, X800xt) could not have been happier.. runs like a dream.. havent had a probley in like 5 months (had the computer for 5 months). Also I bought it when alienware was giving its 500$ off discount so it all worked out nicely :)

build...youll save thousands of dollars..plain and simple.....if you want small...go with a shuttle

Back