Tokelau..

Not everyone can afford spanking shiney .com .co.uk or .whatevers

That's very true. In fact, the malicious spammers that bombarded our site with trojan links also couldn't afford fancy domain names, so they just used a variety of T K domains, changing to a new one every time we censored the old one. Hence, we censored the entire domain.

Pi Mu Rho said:
That's very true. In fact, the malicious spammers that bombarded our site with trojan links also couldn't afford fancy domain names, so they just used a variety of T K domains, changing to a new one every time we censored the old one. Hence, we censored the entire domain.

Around when did this happen?

As I recall, it was a very fast and intense attack. Thankfully, there were several of us around to deal with it, so the vast majority of users wouldn't even have noticed it.

I wonder if it occurred to the original poster - we don't censor these things for fun...

The Dark Elf said:
a few months ago, it was very annoying.

Ah, i don't recall it, the only 'Spam' attack i have ever witnessed is the story spoiler one's, in which several morons decided to post fake spoilers left right and centre.

Pi Mu Rho said:
I wonder if it occurred to the original poster - we don't censor these things for fun...

Too true, alot of people take what mods do for granted, assuming they are bieng over zealous and down right mean.

omg u suxxors u lcked mY thred. dis place is sux. - That kinda thing.

Samon said:
Ah, i don't recall it, the only 'Spam' attack i have ever witnessed is the story spoiler one's, in which several morons decided to post fake spoilers left right and centre.

Too true, alot of people take what mods do for granted, assuming they are bieng over zealous and down right mean.

omg u suxxors u lcked mY thred. dis place is sux. - That kinda thing.
well you wont recall it cause we were deleting them as quickly as they were posted. We had a fun system in place and would take turns either banning or deleting and go through the forum like curry through a drunk. Then we got bored pwning them so much and an admin blocked the domain.

The Dark Elf said:
well you wont recall it cause we were deleting them as quickly as they were posted. We had a fun system in place and would take turns either banning or deleting and go through the forum like curry through a drunk. Then we got bored pwning them so much and an admin blocked the domain.

Hehe, fast then :LOL:

I just would have thought i would have noticed at least one, but obviously that day the mods were on top form :p

Samon said:
Hehe, fast then :LOL:

I just would have thought i would have noticed at least one, but obviously that day the mods were on top form :p
it was a few days IIRC, I think Chris_D, me, onions, sidewinder and Pi were the ones dealing with them. Just idling in IRC then someone spots one and we all jump on it "i call bannage!" "I'll take hl2 discussion!" lol. Then abom would get in and ban them as they signed up which was funny hahaha.

Haha, mods on patrol :p

Funny, i never seem to get why people would go to so much bother to spam a forum with trojan links :|

Samon said:
Haha, mods on patrol :p

Funny, i never seem to get why people would go to so much bother to spam a forum with trojan links :|
I think they, or rather he, thought it would annoy people. Nobody really saw anything. And the spoiler attacks we knew were basically wrong so banning those were more for the fun of it :D

The PM attacks were annoying though, with the account jacking, but that just resulted in VB being fixed thanks to the site. So that just made the site look good for finding the exploit :p

Well that's one way of looking at it :D

Hehe, i think remember PM attacks, not too sure, heard it mentioned, but i don't think i remembered it because i was never subject to it :p

Ah well, if they want to 'annoy'' people, best let the little twirps get on with it hehe.

Samon said:
Well that's one way of looking at it :D

Hehe, i think remember PM attacks, not too sure, heard it mentioned, but i don't think i remembered it because i was never subject to it :p

Ah well, if they want to 'annoy'' people, best let the little twirps get on with it hehe.
well it pretty much stopped once school started again hehe :)

Pi Mu Rho said:

I never said you'd do it for fun, but now I understand completely. Thanks for clearing that up.

:thumbs:

Heh, yeah, I remember that Fenric.... I also remember when hls launched all of thier minions (we figured that the 6 or 7 people responisible are actually the entire body of hls) to sign up and spam... 3-4 pages of spam.

That wasn't a fun night. :p

SidewinderX said:
Heh, yeah, I remember that Fenric.... I also remember when hls launched all of thier minions (we figured that the 6 or 7 people responisible are actually the entire body of hls) to sign up and spam... 3-4 pages of spam.

That wasn't a fun night. :p
heh yeah I remember that. And the guy who started it by going crying to hls all got banned in the rush to ban the spammers teeheehee ;)

(we figured that the 6 or 7 people responisible are actually the entire body of hls)

lol! :E :devil:

The Dark Elf said:
I just had a vision of the mods looking like the superheros in the incredibles lol :)

Well, you're the fecking artist, get on with making a picturew for us! (Feel free to include yourself :) )

It was almost beautiful with the way we dealt with it.

On top of "right, I'll do HL2 Discussion and you do Off Topic" it was also "Right, I'll start with the latest thread in HL2 Discussion and you work with the earliest - and then we'll meet in the middle"

:E

"Class" as they'd say in the sunny ol' country of England :D

Back