Transfer preloaded HL2 files??

R

RE3456

Hi guys I just finish preloading both HL2 and CS:S however I want to transfer both games to my new pc so I can play there, is there anyway to do it, like burn it on to a dvd-r or something like that?

Thanks

Steam has a built-in backup utility. Just go to My games and RIGHT click any game you have preloaded,then select backup. Youll also get a list of the games you have preloaded that you can add to the backup. The file will go into the /Steamapps/Backup folder in compressed format. The utility will also make appropriate file sizes based on you picking whether you want CD or DVD backups.

chris2270 said:
Steam has a built-in backup utility. Just go to My games and RIGHT click any game you have preloaded,then select backup. Youll also get a list of the games you have preloaded that you can add to the backup. The file will go into the /Steamapps/Backup folder in compressed format. The utility will also make appropriate file sizes based on you picking whether you want CD or DVD backups.

Thanks for the info, I just tried the back up. So how do I install the file into my new computer? first I dled steam and then where do I put the files into?

My Steam Client just downloaded full version of HL2 but there is no Backup option... Will just burning .gcf's on DVD+R help?

Chronos said:
My Steam Client just downloaded full version of HL2 but there is no Backup option... Will just burning .gcf's on DVD+R help?

Copy all of the *.gcf files from your SteamApps directory to the new pc where you want steam installed. That's what is downloaded when you are "preloading" caches.

Rick
Valve

Back