Turn On TRUEFORM

K

karbon86

try it for yourself this engine supports it and omg big difference in graphics!!! Another reason why to be ATI for hl2!

What exactly does it do in hl2? Because in cs all it does is make the ends of your weapon rounded off.

It ruins the oringal CS for me though. The M4A1 messes up (the barrel is like a big oval much bigger than oringally) plus in certain areas 30 - 40 fps lowered.
Havn't tried it in cs:s

Can you show some before and after pics? :D

Hmm... My fps DID seem to stay at above 40 more than usual, I need to test it further.

Hey Karbon!

you like, eh? Try temporal AA with that too.

Cool, I didn't know it supported Truform, I know it can seriously make some other games act crazy.

Hey Karbon,. on that other site, you list your 9800 as such:
ATI 9800pro (460/800) @1.8v
Am I to understand you actually have the core at 460 and the mem at 800? How is that possible?? I'd love to get some extra juice out of my 9800pro for HL2, but I cant get it above 405 core 365 mem. And what voltage does it normally run at? I'd appriciate any O/C tips.

Ive got an overclocked 9800pro at 420 and 380. You get a decent performance jump from the stock speed after OC'ing it to something like I have. I'd get a good fan for starters, I use a Thermaltake Giant 3 cooler, they didn't call it giant for nothing, the thing is a monster that makes an incredible amount of noise. I should've got a different one methinks. You'd need watercooling to get the core up to 460mhz right?

Looking into it, its this Antartica cooler you've got.

That might be worth the investment if it can be moved to a next gen computer 3-4 years down the line.

f|uke said:
Am I to understand you actually have the core at 460 and the mem at 800? How is that possible?? I'd love to get some extra juice out of my 9800pro for HL2, but I cant get it above 405 core 365 mem. And what voltage does it normally run at? I'd appriciate any O/C tips.

Not only is his video card watercooled, it looks like he did a volt mod as well. Volt modding a video card is an extreme thing to do at a video card. It requires you to physically alter the card itself to change the voltage. The benefit is that it allows you to reach a higher overclock.

Basically, unless you are a hardcore overclocker, don't worry about it.

hmm .... when i get it i'll turn trueform on but i know it messed up CS 1.6 when I tried it a few times, the gun barrels got rounded ...... good to know either (1) valve is supporting i better or (2) truform iteself has gotten better with newer drivers

I've been having it turned on for quite a while without even thinking about it ..

Can anyone do a before and after screenshots, and at the highest settings? Cause I'm running on all high (models and textures and all).

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated. If you want to test it for overall fps value, use these commands in the console to record a demo.

record name_of_demo
stop (command to stop recording)

then use the following command to watch it. Use fraps to get you an average FPS.

playdemo name_of_demo

I turned it on and it seems to have given me a performance boost. But I can't check it since I can't get my console to work.

I've set TRUFORM to Application Preference in my ATI Omega control panel, am I correct in thinking CSS will detect this and use it? Or do I have to set it via Config file? There's no in-game option for it...

I wonder if Half-Life: Source will support this effectively. God, that would give ATI one hell of an edge.

Methias said:
I wonder if Half-Life: Source will support this effectively. God, that would give ATI one hell of an edge.

Why exactly? I tried it myself earlier and quite frankly i didnt notice the tiniest bit of difference visually, and it made my fps increase by 2 fps. Hardly spectacular.

I hit 90 FPS, my highest yet.

Although I was just walking around aztec, it was still 90 fps.

I'll try it in a firefight later.

NB. said:
Why exactly? I tried it myself earlier and quite frankly i didnt notice the tiniest bit of difference visually, and it made my fps increase by 2 fps. Hardly spectacular.

Because Half-Life 1 is an incredibly low-poly game and would benefit far more significantly from TRUFORM than CS:S would, if TRUFORM was actually doing it's job which I don't think it is in this instance. I tried turning it on. There is no noticable difference in visual quality at all. And if TRUFORM was doing it's job, I think the difference would be noticable.

f|uke said:

all i have to say is luck of the draw and a pimped out watercooling setup. here is my comp http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26314. Also i notice a huge difference over the before TrueForm. I has much less jaggies and squared off ground. I have almost no AA on in those pictures and they look great with high FPS.

Rawmassen said:
I've set TRUFORM to Application Preference in my ATI Omega control panel, am I correct in thinking CSS will detect this and use it? Or do I have to set it via Config file? There's no in-game option for it...

Can someone answer that lol i wouldn't mind knowing either. Also, is this scrictly a direct x 9 feature because of my below average system, i had to force CS:S to run in direct x 8.1?

Thanks in advance

I enabled it and found a 1 fps drop in the stress test. I was doing something do i didnt look at quality.

So it loads default then i assume (when enabled in advanced propertites) ?

Thanks for the reply NB.

truform on
all on max 2xaa 2xaf
stress test 73fps

truform off
all on max 2xaa 2xaf
stress test 96fps

i have a 9800pro a little clockes, 3ghz@3,3 1024ram

i see no point in having truform on becuase i lost over 20fps, and no iq difrence

How do you turn it on? I only see the option to set it to application preference.

I got +10 fps on the stress test. I dunno if it's my imagination, but the quality seems a bit less with trueform on.

From ATI's site:

TRUFORM™II,
The latest incarnation of ATI's innovative higher order surface technology. It is designed to smooth out the curved surface of 3D characters, objects, and terrain by increasing the polygon count through a process called "tessellation". By taking advantage of the massive vertex processing power of the RADEON 9700, it delivers more natural looking 3D scenes without requiring any changes to existing artwork.

anyone heard about bad detail's in open area's? LOL.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1583549,00.asp

explains Temporal AA, AND 3Dc.

Add the three together, and you have THE best seat in house.

At this point, ATI will only turn this feature on when frame rates are running at or above the refresh rate of the monitor, and will turn the feature off if frame rates dip below a certain level.
-www.extremetech.com

In other words, when it all comes down to it, X800 users only. Unless, of course you have 100-110 fps...Radeon 9700 or better only!

How do i enable TrueForm? in the VGA perferences its on application ppreferred but then what?

Back