turned down 700 - 900 million

otomo

Reaction score
thought this was interesting dont think its been posted yet.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/news_6076823.html

for the lazy ....

"

Vivendi refuses offer for VU Games

News

Mystery suitor plunks down $700-900m cash for Half-Life 2 publisher, Vivendi turns it down.

It looks as though VU Games is most definitely not for sale. Earlier today, French financial daily Les Echos reported that a "company in the games sector allied with a financial investor" offered VU Games' parent, Vivendi Universal, between $700 million and $900 million in cash for the Half-Life 2 publisher. Then, this afternoon, AFP reported that Vivendi had passed on the offer. The markets endorsed the news as a sign of Vivendi's faith in VU Games, and its shares rose 1.46 percent to 17.37 euros.

Had Vivendi accepted the offer, it would have been a very public about-face for the company. Just last week, Vivendi's chief operating officer, Jean-Bernard Levy, said Vivendi was retaining VU Games through the holiday season. This echoed CEO Jean-Rene Fourtou's September comments that Vivendi was considering expanding VU Games.
"

if i saw 700 million i think i'd have a heart attack wonder how much they will make off HL2 tho

hl2 or no hl2 i would have taken that $$$ so fast you wouldnt see me for the cloud of dust trailing off over the horizon.

i dont know if you're aware how business works, but no one person would get the whole 800 million lol.

Nice post ! I agree with you Gamer.

ps: some mod have to send a pm to this guy...

Far more than that.
I think is a clear sign Hl2 will be released this year. Why else would they retain VU through the Holidays? They're not making money off anything else, I can tell you that. So there's no reason for them to keep it, other than that. And if it were to be released next year, they wouldn't have said they'd be retaining it through the holidays...in fact, they probably would ahve sold it.

-Ghost.

why the heck did they announce it was delayed then. and why hasn't valve said ANYTHING about it!!! :( i want hl2

I doubt they will make that much on halflife 2, they should have taken the offer. Oh well i guess they can smack themselves later.

Originally posted by otomo
why the heck did they announce it was delayed then. and why hasn't valve said ANYTHING about it!!! :( i want hl2

because Valve are being retarded and not saying ANYTHING. they havnt in the beggining, and i doubt they'll start now. my suggestion: go keep yourself busy doing anything else then thinking about HL2 and when it comes out it'll be a pleasant surprise

im much more excited about max payne 2 right now and call of duty. im tired of the hl2 drama and crap

Well if I were Vivendi I'd do the same thing. They'll be absolutely raking it in once HL2 is released, then they can sell off the company for even more.

PS
Z_GaMeR_Z
Banned

YES! :D

Vivendi is thinking long-term instead of short-term, if they take the money now they wont be able to see how much they make out of VU for the holidays. Then they might make a crap load of cash then sell VU and make more off of the deal that make they make a couple million more than they would now, so its a smart idea and if they dont sell for a good amount the will look for other buyers simple as that.

If its the first serious offer they may have turned it down to avoid looking desperate. I dunno what their current financial situation is, or how their stocks are, but if they start getting twitchy then people will start bailing out and the company will end up being worthless. It's likely they'll be made a few more offers, eventually settling for a strange one but it'll turn out those at the top came off well from it.. Or something like that heh

oh and cool z_gamer_z got banned :) I wonder what he has to say to that, hmmmm probably lol

PFF man that's a lot o money ! Imagine the $$$ they will got with HL2...

Looks like Vivendi it's earning a lot with the HL2 "drama".

Amazing. They have a few hundred other games, and rights to a ton of movie properties. Do you guys see any of the world outside this site?

Like Blizzard. They're a pretty big cash cow and part of VU Games. Warcraft 3 alone raked in a ton of cash. Diablo 2 raked in a ton of cash. VU certainly shouldn't be hurting any.

maybe they are waiting for microsoft to plop down a couple billion...

I believe that Vivendi was bought by NBC , it was all over MSNBC or CNN (memory does not serve)

Yeah I mean damn thats a lot of money in cash, I think they are tring to keep Sierra and VALVe together. :p

The VU and NBC/General Electric merger did not include the games division, though it is up for sale. FYI, NBC has the controlling share, ownership is split 80/20.

I guess the initial asking price for VU Games was 2 billion dollars US. No one bit, so they've lowered it to around 800 million. They've also been approached to sell Blizzard seperately, but VU turned it down.

There's an article here:

http://gamemarketwatch.com/news/item.asp?nid=2760

And here:

http://www.sclegacy.com/article.php?sid=1851

Originally posted by otomo
im much more excited about max payne 2 right now and call of duty. im tired of the hl2 drama and crap

too true. dont get me wrong, HL2 will be the greatest and all...but thats when it releases. its getting old, and im tired of following this drama, cause i lose hope when im constantly let down , but anyways... yea, no more thinking about it, itll come out when it does, as for now though, call of duty's demo was amazingly fun, and the videos look fun...so its call of duty for now.

Microsoft will buy it. They need some more exclusive games for the XBOX.

Yep exactly. The 'mystery' would of been the Microsoft company. Thank God they said no.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Well if I were Vivendi I'd do the same thing. They'll be absolutely raking it in once HL2 is released, then they can sell off the company for even more.

i agree with u on that... also.. im sure they publish other games as well.. and yes i realize that comparing the money that a HL series game brings in for them as opposed to another title they publish is silly since other titles are probably chump change in terms of money.. but nonetheless they are still making some money there as well.

Mystery Suitor" = MS

OMG:eek: Im so smart!

HL2 an xbox exclusive? Could Valve be the next Bungie?

Originally posted by Chris_D

thats the way it is :)

Well look at the list of other games they have/had:

The Hulk
Bruce Lee
American Idol
Zeus
Dark Angel

You have to remember for every HIT there are a few misses. If they do not make up what they lost for crap games with good games they loose money. I remember reading they were hoping to make for the Hulk game with HL2.

i think blizzard & sierra is WAY bigger than valve...so far valve made money out of only 1 game. & starcraft probably sold more than HL1

Back