[TUTORIAL] UV mapping in 3Dsmax 6

simon

Spy
Reaction score
Since a lot of people don't understand the basics of unwrapping and i see this question asked so many times i made a quick video showing the very basics of it. Theres a lot more tricks and techniques that are not covered in this vid. But once you start getting the hang of it they should come to you :)

In the end i also show how to set up the model for exporting to .smd and how a collision model is made, all very simple. And again, not everything to export is covered, just the very basics.

Here is a render of the model discussed in the video:
vico_contailer.jpg

Here is a smaller version of the texture for you to use as practise (if you want):
vico_container.jpg

Here is the video, 39mb, XviD codec.
http://www.off-limits.be/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=750

If you have a question, feel free to reply
(no mails, no PM's)

- Wesley

Appreciate the effort, but a box..by no means compares to much complex objects, such as guns and characters (even if you're going for the basics)

:LOL:

planar is just not enough

entity said:
Appreciate the effort, but a box..by no means compares to much complex objects, such as guns and characters (even if you're going for the basics)

:LOL:

planar is just not enough
soon my little one soon enough .....
lol
nice tut there simon it might be basic but its a start for someone whos new to the concept of uvw mapping.

mindless_moder said:
soon my little one soon enough .....
lol
nice tut there simon it might be basic but its a start for someone whos new to the concept of uvw mapping.
Exactly! Say I knew nothing unwrapping, then this tutorial would greatly improve my knowledge of this type of work.

Great tutorial, Simon.

Well yea, it was past midnight already and was getting tired, so i made a real simple one. A lot of people don't know:

A. how to apply their unwrap uvw modifier
B. make their palanars
C. go into the edit window

So this very simplistic tutorial shows just that.
And they get the first steps to compile it into hl2, and seeing is much easier then reading.

And it's not a box !! it's a container !! hah! :)

And one other note, if i were to make it complexer it would have taken longer and the file would have been bigger. And i don't have that kinda space/bandwidth to deal with that. So I'm sorry.

If you wanna make a complex model, just make it out of 1000 boxes then hihi

- Wesley

I dont care I still love you!! THANK YOU! :D :D :D

That tutorial was very help full for learning unwraping in 3ds max. I had no idea it would take that long to do somthing like that. In xsi all I had to do for UV unwraping was select the object in a propety box and click enter lol.

Simon if you do those maps all credit, they are great. :D.... I might try and put together a UV mapping tut for mid to high poly character's like everyone's been asking i might chuck in the HDR maps on the side.

i just saw your leaf tutorial, can't believe i missed that! looks great, the final render was hot. I'll check it out anytime soon, don't delete it :p

i hate uv unrwapping ive been working for about 3 days unwrapping this model and im still left wiht loads of little random triangles.

don't do automatic mapping then, and show what model you are unwrapping :)

even on complex characters, I rarely see myself usiong anything more than planar maps (maybe cylindricals on the legs...)

Its an alright video tutorial. Not a fan of the text at the bottom though, you should have just made a writen tutorial, or use a mic. You should make another with a more complex object.

The text was the fastest way for me to do, and i don't have that much time to make tutorials. And i really didn't wanna get into connect/installing my mic. at 1am in the morning, and install some recording programm .. :)
If anyone makes a better tutorial i'll be more then happy, this was just my small contribution.

Back