Two good reasons to assume HL2 is delayed

DOOManiac

Reaction score
Whether you believe in Valve or not, whether your glass is half full or half empty (or leaking), here's two very good reasons you should just assume HL2 has been delayed:

1) If it turns out it has been delayed, you won't be so pissed off and disappointed, as you will have seen it coming. Yeah you'll still be a bit upset, but you won't be taking to the streets burning things...

2) If it turns out that the game comes out September 30th, then instead of feeling like nothing out of the ordinary happened, you'll feel very grateful and happy that you're fortunate enough to get such a great game earlier than you were expecting.

I had another reason for posting this but as of now its 2AM and my brain is dead. Sorry.

Yeah I'm a pessimist. That way you're either proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Uh, sorry, I can't just believe something just because it's convenient.

and BTW Doomaniac is not some rampant D3 fanboy. He's a reasonable guy. But I don't agree with his reasons for assuming there is a delay.

tsk tsk. These forums are going down the tubes. Been here for 2 months and this is the first time nubs have resorted to the shallow "lol u like doom go away" argument...

To be honest with you, right now I'm looking forward to HL2 way more than DOOM 3, so therefor your argument doesn't hold.

Now I'm off to go pwn more nubs at Dead Simple...

Originally posted by ElFuhrer
Doomaniac is not some rampant D3 fanboy. He's a reasonable guy. But I don't agree with his reasons for assuming there is a delay.
Absolutely. He's certainly come off looking more reasonable than those who replied by telling him to bugger off.
And yes, he's a ridiculous pessimist at times, but he kinda has 2 good points there. Don't set your hopes TOO high - can be great advice sometimes...

if you even mention the word delayed you're gonna get flammed. "hl2 is not delayed" STFU NOOB... that's pretty much the way it works right now. delayed = 4 letter word, got it?

Hes got a good point though, If you dont get your hopes up you wont be as dissapointent in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event of a delay.

Originally posted by Fuzzy
Hes got a good point though, If you dont get your hopes up you wont be as dissapointent in the HIGHLY UNLIKELY event of a delay.

you know what, i think the only reason everyone wants the game to come out on time is just so they can rub it in Fragmaster's face :D

The way I see it is that valve keeping quiet is only a good thing. By saying that I mean they would have said by now (being this close to the release date) if it were to be delayed.

I'm taking them being so quiet about it like this: They are working very hard right now to get it out on the release date. They think it's still possible, which is good either way you look at it, because if it isn't possible, then it will be released shortly after the 30th.

Originally posted by el Chi
Absolutely. He's certainly come off looking more reasonable than those who replied by telling him to bugger off.
And yes, he's a ridiculous pessimist at times, but he kinda has 2 good points there. Don't set your hopes TOO high - can be great advice sometimes...

awwww. you guys really do wub meh ;)

and yeah, just think of how happy you'll all be when/if HL2 comes out early (sept 30th) as opposed to just "on time" (sept 30th). Its all about perspective, and how you look at it.

A similar example, if you go into a movie expecting it to suck, and then it turns out to be pretty good, you'll enjoy it more than if you expected it to rock and then it turns out its only mediocre.

Originally posted by DOOManiac

and yeah, just think of how happy you'll all be when/if HL2 comes out early (sept 30th) as opposed to just "on time" (sept 30th). Its all about perspective, and how you look at it.

A similar example, if you go into a movie expecting it to suck, and then it turns out to be pretty good, you'll enjoy it more than if you expected it to rock and then it turns out its only mediocre.

Yeah I'm still gonna burn down Valve if it doesn't come out on the 30th

doesn't matter what you say, everyone is still gonna believe in the sept. 30th release date

Originally posted by Kyle2
you know what, i think the only reason everyone wants the game to come out on time is just so they can rub it in Fragmaster's face :D
God, yes. Seriously, if he was right his head will inflate to gargantuan proportions and it'll be re-named Planet I-Told-You-So or something. Un-f*cking-bearable.
This is really only another "What if it's delayed?" thread with a bit of harmless advice and without a stupid "What would you do?" poll ("OMG!!1 i'd go and burn valve" "i'd rammpage tha streets" etc.)

May as well close it somebody?

EDIT: I'd just like to add that I put in that "I'd go and burn down valve if it's delayed" bit BEFORE I read spitcodfry's post... Uncanny, no? Ooooh.

Originally posted by el Chi
God, yes. Seriously, if he was right his head will inflate to gargantuan proportions and it'll be re-named Planet I-Told-You-So or something. Un-f*cking-bearable.
This is really only another "What if it's delayed?" thread with a bit of harmless advice and without a stupid "What would you do?" poll ("OMG!!1 i'd go and burn valve" "i'd rammpage tha streets" etc.)

May as well close it somebody?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Originally posted by dr_rat
A reason to believe it is delayed would be over the stream problems and the extra effort they nrrd to put in to fix it up.

quote "We're working on this 24x7. Once again we underestimated how much demand would get placed on the system this quickly.

Gabe"

from this thread at the very bottom of the last page (or near it):
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/newreply.php?s=&action=newreply&postid=151448

you know what, instead of resorting to sarcasm or proving you wrong, i'm just gonna say "STFU NOOB, USE THE SEARCH ENGINE"

Edit: you're lucky i'm bored. ok, what would them having to work so hard on steam have to do with them releasing hl2 on the 30th. if hl2 is being released on the 30th than it's already done and therefor any problems with steam short of the entire system blowing up and causing casualties will prevent the game from being released on time.

Half-Life 2 May Be Delayed. Heres Why!!!

In order to make enough copies for the stores, they have to have the game go Gold several weeks earlier. The Gold Date should be between September 13-15. If it does not go Gold today then most likely it will be delayed.

Sooo not true....I am not going to give reasons why because this has been discussed in about 5 other threads.

Mods please lock this up.

Re: Half-Life 2 May Be Delayed. Heres Why!!!

Originally posted by Kschreck
In order to make enough copies for the stores, they have to have the game go Gold several weeks earlier. The Gold Date should be between September 13-15. If it does not go Gold today then most likely it will be delayed.

Remember, they DONT have to tell us when they go gold or not... and thats not true... UT2003 went, I think 4 days, before release. Therefor they can announce going "gold" whenever they want. But you are right, they should acually go "gold" really soon, they just dont have to let us know about it.

Me baby. Me not now stuff and junk.
Me thanks big boy fer infomation.

(meaning: DUH!)

And yeah, that may be an insult. Take it as you wish.

What makes you think they would annouce going gold anyway?

Puts on Flame Suit.

Attachments

• 701basuit.jpg
    701basuit.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 334
Going Gold is when they finish the game, this doesn't NEED to be anytime and we don't know whether they have finished the game or not.

EDIT: And this has been addressed in at least two threads that can't be that far down the board.

1) If it turns out it has been delayed, you won't be so pissed off and disappointed, as you will have seen it coming. Yeah you'll still be a bit upset, but you won't be taking to the streets burning things...

2) If it turns out that the game comes out September 30th, then instead of feeling like nothing out of the ordinary happened, you'll feel very grateful and happy that you're fortunate enough to get such a great game earlier than you were expecting.

I'm sorry those are not "good" reasons. A good reason would have been someone at Valve saying we haven't finished this or that, your reasons are based on our reactions which doesn't affect the game's release. You see what I'm saying here?

Originally posted by Kschreck
Puts on Flame Suit.

where can i get one of those flamesuits?, from flamers 'r' us?
sure come in handy in these forums.. :bounce:

OMG! How many of these pointless threads do we have to have?! /smacks head

I guess the folks at Valve are shitting themselves over all this stupid guessing on release dates and delays...

If i wanted, i could back up my entire hard drive about 50 times in 4 hours using a CD writer...Now, the CD production has many many machines writing the discs so go figure how many they can do in 4 hours, my point being, why would it take 2 weeks when you can back up stuff on a machine way slower than the industrial ones in 4 hours...

Originally posted by AcousticToad
If i wanted, i could back up my entire hard drive about 50 times in 4 hours using a CD writer...Now, the CD production has many many machines writing the discs so go figure how many they can do in 4 hours, my point being, why would it take 2 weeks when you can back up stuff on a machine way slower than the industrial ones in 4 hours...

Or they could you know, press the CDs instead of burning them. They can do a LOT that way.

Back