Ugly glass

I can't believe you guys are flamming over glass and the way it breaks.????I now lower my head in shame....

haha check out the glass from SOF2:Double Helix....shit doesnt even COMPARE to source...whoever made the comment about SOF2 is gay

Thadius Dean said:
at least your not me...

Yup :(
Thats what i see too
It really sucks
Whats it supposed to look like...?
lol, nice fps
I get about 9-10 too ^_^

skatevans said:
haha check out the glass from SOF2:Double Helix....shit doesnt even COMPARE to source...whoever made the comment about SOF2 is gay

That glass fell 1000 times more realistically than cs:s glass does, plus it was actually all polygonal. I guess having taste makes 'gay'. jackass.

Geronimous said:
To the people asking for more shards and letting them stay to mess around with with the physics engine: please do realise that every physics object/entity also has to be calculated server-side, and thus alot of physics objects like shards can really mess up gameplay and cause LAG...

I would be surprised if physics objects as mundane as shards of glass would be calculated server-side and piped over the client-server connection. That would just not be smart design from a programming perspective. My guess is that most of the calculations involving glass effects are done and stay client-side.

cs_office0004.jpg

Ok, I got a screenshot. Look at the glass on the right, its just not good.

Homer, seriously...

sof2 glass as seen in those screenies is VERY average. cs:s glass at least looks good. all i see in sof2 glass is broken triangles. maybe you should stop being such a prick to ppl for simply giving their opinions.

if your opinion is that cs:s glass sucks and sof2 glass is better, then you and your opinion SUCK.
if u want sof2 glass GO PLAY SOF2 FFS AND STOP BITCHING AND FLAMING FOR NO REASON

Carnage_333 said:
Homer, seriously...

sof2 glass as seen in those screenies is VERY average. cs:s glass at least looks good. all i see in sof2 glass is broken triangles. maybe you should stop being such a prick to ppl for simply giving their opinions.

if your opinion is that cs:s glass sucks and sof2 glass is better, then you and your opinion SUCK.
if u want sof2 glass GO PLAY SOF2 FFS AND STOP BITCHING AND FLAMING FOR NO REASON

cs:s glass looks like crappy sprites, but thats irreleveant by this point in the topic.

If your stupid ass wants me to stop flaming maybe you should try it. I did not flame a single person who didnt flame me first. Every person who dissagrees with me seems to think flaming is called for, and when I respond in turn all the sudden I'm the sole person flaming here.

Homer said:
If you are getting frame dips on that system then you need to format, like NOW. Because on my 2500+ with 1 gig 3200 and a 9800 pro 128 I never got any slowdown in the beta with 4xAA and 8xAF.

Learn to configure your system properly before you talk to me bitch.

I formatted the day before I installed cs:s and I also defragged.
there seems to be a problem (at least with me) with the *full* version of CS:S as I had rock solid frame-rates when I played the beta (6xaa 16xaf)

please drop the "Im a 12 year old" charade...... at least I hope it's a charade.

Homer said:
If your stupid ass wants me to stop flaming maybe you should try it. I did not flame a single person who didnt flame me first. Every person who dissagrees with me seems to think flaming is called for, and when I respond in turn all the sudden I'm the sole person flaming here.

for the record, I never "flamed" you.

I think perhaps you are a tad bit overprotective, that or you see anyone who disagrees with you as being a flamer?

Mr. Redundant said:
I formatted the day before I installed cs:s and I also defragged.
there seems to be a problem (at least with me) with the *full* version of CS:S as I had rock solid frame-rates when I played the beta (6xaa 16xaf)

please drop the "Im a 12 year old" charade...... at least I hope it's a charade.

for the record, I never flamed you.

And I never flamed you either, that system should be yeilding a sold framerate. If its not thats either a issue with cs:s or with your system.

I think perhaps you are a tad bit overprotective, that or you see anyone who disagrees with you as being a flamer?

I see anyone who calls me 'gay' for thinking sof2 had better glass as a flamer, and btw, that '12 year old' comment up there was a flame. Attempting to use superior linguistics to insult people doesn't levitate you over other flamers.

:dozey: The glass, and the bullet dents in metal objects probably impress me the most in CS:S. Physics, is a meh... fun to play with, but usually nobody uses the objects for tactics... because...well... it's kind of hard to manipulate all the usable objects for tactics anyways! All the small objects are client side(right?) and the big objects such as tables and barrels you can't hardly even move around! That just sucks. BTW glass and bullet dents in metal= great!

Homer said:
I see anyone who calls me 'gay' for thinking sof2 had better glass as a flamer, and btw, that '12 year old' comment up there was a flame. Attempting to use superior linguistics to insult people doesn't levitate you over other flamers.

true he did call you gay (that slipped my mind somehow, and you are therefore entitled to say whatever you want about him)

however I considered the "Learn to configure your system properly before you talk to me bitch." worthy of my "12 year old comment", as it was twice in a row you had said the whole "blah blah before you talk to me" spiel.

as for superior linguistics.. if you take a gander at my previous posts.. this is just the way I type :/
I didn't Bolster my post linguistically just in order to make you look silly.. if it appeared that way, you have my appologies.

Just like the rest of the interactive features in CS:S and HL-2 I would need to play it to make an accurate opinion of the glass. From the vids I've seen of CS:S and HL-2, the glass seems to follow through the same procedure of shattering, which mimics safety glass (hence others mentioning a "windshield glass" effect). It does look impressive and fun to play with, but I hope there are other ways that glass in HL-2 can mimic shattering. It'd be nice to see bigger glass shards breaking off, not just small ones all of the time.

Like somebody else said, hopefully it's either included or easily moddable for HL-2.

<3 for Valve. They must be one of the most awesome software companies.

Ok ,..
Valve has done a GREAT job on 99% of The souce engine minus some shadow flaws and that damned glass!??$@#$

Has anyone actuallt broken a window in real life ?

Well i've broken three :p I used to play soccer A LOT in yards.

And that pic about 5 posts above me, LOOKS like cottage cheese or IT KINDA looks like breakable glass (but guess what breakable glass is 100% of the time ALL OVER the ground; not still hanging like a pussle piece glued to the wall.

The glass in CSS that doesnt break now thats NICE !!!!! but it should leave semi small or big holes in the center and crumble outward :p

I agree with the glass not looking nice. Soldier of Fortune II had such a system too and to be honest, that looked way better. Honestly I don't REALLY care, CS:Source is fun and Half-Life 2 is gonna be a brilliant game, no glass is going to spoil both these things. :)

Could someone please post some glass effects from SOF:II here please?

I love the security glass. It makes great cover as well. Good work Valve!

someone should post some chateau glass breakage, (by ct spawn), i'm pretty sure it's alot differant then office.

its quite possible that an office building with huge glass panels like that would be differant then normal glass, (like windsheild glass maybe) for safety/weather/durability reasons, and as such would be realistic.

even if thats not the case, the glass if fun as hell (knifing a small hole then walking through) and looks pretty decent imo too.

The effect is nice, but the way the glass itself looks is bLEH.

Burning Fish said:
SOF2Glass.jpg

It looks good in action.

I surely hope so, cause it looks like headcrab-shit on the pic. ;)
Perhaps I'll have a look at a friend of mine, and perhaps ask him to re-install the game. :)

It just breaks a lot better. In CS:S you can almost shoot your name in it :) I don't really know why I'm whining about this. CS:S's glass looks cool too and Half-Life 2 will just play great and look great, no matter how "the glass looks and breaks" :)

Back