Uhh, did any one else hate 'we don't go to Ravenholm'???

Ophiguris

Reaction score
Seriously, 200 Mawmen, and then a creepy old Russian guy, I mean, to add to it, the creepy mawmen that climb walls *shudders*. God those things are fast!!!

Well, Ravenholm is not my favourite level, gameplay is great and atmosphere of this place is really cool but it doesn't looks like Half-Life, its something like Resident Evil or another horrors. Lowlife is better.
btw Watch your doubleposts...

Yeah I agree... Elabourate 'double spots' ??? But yeah, it definately comes off as a zombie like level... Heh, I hated those creepy Mawmen though!!!

Well i didnt like it either. I much more enjoy the part in the city or anything like fighting the combine.

I loved it, when i got to playing it first time i was coming to about midnight and i had forgotten all the lights were off in the room, my god the atmosphere was amazing, and when i first say the fast zombie scream out and run across the roof in front of me i like shouted, "WHAT....IS THAT!". One of my favourite sections, low life was awsome too ;)

Yeah, the atmoshpere was awesome, but it felt like post-'dawn of the dead' or 28 days later, which felt great in all, but I had to shut down for a bit because of how horrifically real it was...

I loved it, when i got to playing it first time i was coming to about midnight and i had forgotten all the lights were off in the room, my god the atmosphere was amazing, and when i first say the fast zombie scream out and run across the roof in front of me i like shouted, "WHAT....IS THAT!". One of my favourite sections, low life was awsome too ;)
I had a very similar experience. Oh my God. What a rush huh?

Hmmm tricky, howlers are such jerks yet Father Gregori is so awesome. I wouldnt play ravenholm but I would like all the Father Gregori sound clips. :E So, I only EVER play Ravenholm with garry's mod on so I can whip out CS weapons and spawn Gregori and a squad of rebels whenever I dang well feel like it!

WTF is wrong with you people?!

Ravenholm is awesome, how could you hate such an amazing chapter.

No... I don't hate it... it was just freaky... I loved it... it was like a rollercoaster!!! And yeah... Gregori was AWWWESOME!!! nice mod by the way!

Imago284... you're still a scanner??? I joined yesterday and i'm already a manhack!!!

I agree. The ravenholm itself was very freaky, but gregori would have to be one of my fav characters.

Lol, it wasnt that bad :D
I mean, the part in the cemetery was great, the part that i hated the most was when you have to go up on the boards and stuff and walk to the 2nd floor.

I liekd it. pretty freaky, pretty fun, gregori is good in a dark yet humorous way.. I cant remember any chapters called "low life". was it in ep1? cos I dont ahve that yet.

Indeed Gordon-Shepherd. I used to hate Ravenholm, but I played it more and fell in love with it because of the traps. So much fun smashing a car down onto a group of zombies. :LOL:

the devs mentioned that they cut back on the ammo in ravenholm to make you use the grav gun and traps more, but me being the ammo stingy miser that i am, I always used to have plenty of ammo. Well not anymore

I started playing with the random spawn scripts in smod remastered redux's mapadd folder and made it so that every ravenholm level has ridiculous amounts of zombies. I'm pretty sure i tripled the amount of zombies.

I was forced to scrounge and to scrambe. In the original, aside from the fasties, you never have much of a risk of being overrun. But when you'd got a wall of undead where some are using speed modifiers to speed them up, things get more difficult and very awesome

nope, the chapter was ****ing awesome

Discussion closed by Master Llama of the plotline group (Grandmasters Sulkdodds and Angry Lawyer)

Ravenholm is one of my favorite chapters in the game, the only thing i didn't like was the ending with the cemetery. It felt like I was in a cheap zombie movie.

Lowlife and Ravenholm were cool, but I thought the hospital was the most fun. If only it were longer :( .

I didn't love it. Too scary, too many situations where a zombie can attack you from any direction. But it's ok now after I've played it so many times through.

Ok Ok... I approached this topic the wrong way... but I was more referring to the difficulty... no doubt the atmoshpere and EVERYTHING was awesome... it was a good balance to fight the combine... it was an itneresting break from the combine...

Ravenholm scared the crap out of me the first time I played it.

Ravenholm was probably spoilt for me by watching the pre-release vids too much. Didn't really have a lot to surprise me any more, was just a trudge through something i'd played in my head 40 times already. True that most of the other chapters were featured a lot as well, but I think Ravenholm is just one of those places which is all about the first impression. Like how no horror movie is better the second time round.

I'm not a fan of the mines section at all though. It feels to me that either A) something quite substantial was cut between Ravenholm and Highway 17 (the Antlion levels in Episode 2 looks like they would fit quite snugly...) or B) Valve found themselves with two halves of a game and had to find a way to connect them together. It's such a short little interlude that it feels out of place, and is instantly forgettable.

edit: I feel it is rather telling that there is absolutely nothing of the mines section in Raising the Bar...

Back