untold singleplayer and multiplayer events

Darkknighttt

Reaction score
Don't you ever wonder that Valve is hiding something from us, well obviously most of you do. Like there has to be something more in singleplayer that they havent told us yet and something cool in multiplayer.

In singleplayer I think that well definetly see Black Mesa and Xen again, and thatll be really cool seeing it in awesome 3D

In multiplayer I think that there will be traps and stuff and itll be really cool.

Anyways, post what you think singleplayer and multiplayer features will be.

Ill speculate this rumour yet again.....that TF2 will be a multiplayer mode as well as deathmath etc. ( i keep bringing this up because a few mags have said they think it will be)

And as for SP i think there will be twists were not expecting in the storyline , for example allies turning into enemies, the possibilities r endless.

As for returning to Black Mesa i highly doubt that :( would be cool tho

As Gabe Newell said 'You'll have to wait and see''

Gabe has said that there will be no trips to Xen...thank god....that place was abominable.

Hey at the end of opposing force onboard the osprey the gman says Black Mesa has been dealt with, there is then a large flash, and he just says "Quite so", and considering a few minutes before then the gman was seen checking a nuke, I think its pretty conclusive to most people the faccility is now a big black hole in the earth.

but if there is time travel involved in this game, maybe we will be able to go back and change things.....if not i'd like to see a mod recreating the black mesa facility

Like there has to be something more in singleplayer that they havent told us yet
Yeah...of course there is. So far we've probably seen a total of about an hours ingame footage and about 3 screenshots. They're hardly going to show every enemy, every location, every bit of dialogue and combat that's in the game, months before it's released, especially with the upset of the source theft. Did Half-Life's (the first one) advance publicity tell us anything substantial about the game content, beyond the basic premise, your character and some of the enemies? Not really.
What point are you making?

and also this is what i made a thread about too, minus the multiplayer speculation.

city 17 is very brown, very yellow, whatever. i wanna see some white, some black, some blue, some shiny white metal, like in black mesa.

i want hi-tech scenery in source ;)

Darkknighttt said:
In singleplayer I think that well definetly see Black Mesa and Xen again, and thatll be really cool seeing it in awesome 3D

It was in awesome 3D the first time around!

Well, I think Black Mesa wont exist anymore, and Xen was dull so we won't see that again. Think Gabe said something about bringing Xen to earth (or I just made that up) which could suggest that some of the Xen environment made it through the gateway. I think City 17 will open up gradually to the player rather then being one open city from the start. You'll be lead everywhere pretty much, being pushed by the narrative.

Multiplayer, I doubt will be TF2. I think it'll be a bog-standard multiplayer with nothing special, with TF2 perhaps superceeding it or maybe even being a stand alone expension pack?

TheWart said:
Gabe has said that there will be no trips to Xen...thank god....that place was abominable.
Nah 'twas kewl. A return would be fine so long as they changed it slightly - that is to say, not so platform-jumpy-business. But yes it has been said that Xen is coming to Earth, whatever that means. I assume it's like towards the end of Op4, when there were bits of Xen-esque landscape in certain areas.
A sort-of return to BMRF would be quite nice in an "I remember the days when this wasn't a crater" kind of a way. It might even make some sense given that that was where all the trouble kicked off. But probably not.
And personally I think time-travel would be sh*t, but I wouldn't be massively surprised if it arose at some point. <Sighs>

city 17 is very brown, very yellow, whatever. -Coax
Erm, I suspect that's Quake you're thinking of, dear boy.

Quote from PC Zone:

"Half-Life 2 won't only be set in City 17. You won't be leaving the planet though, or going to Xen, but we'll be bringing pieces of Xen to earth. A lot of the gameplay will take place either in City 17 or in the areas between City 17 and certain other destinations." - Gabe

I really hope for one last stroll trough BM I just want to see the teleporter in hl2 quality and some hallways and stuff.. it would be soo cool.

but all we can do is wait and let us suprise ourselves once we finally play the game.
Good times will be ahead of us

Well, they are releasing the original on Source, or so it's been reported. Many times. How that's released is unclear, though.

TheWart said:
No way, Xen was the coolest part of every HL game... :farmer:

i agree, i thought xen was pretty cool. maybe not the best parts of the game, but it was a nice break, and was pretty interesting. maybe thats just me though

I wished that xen was more like an actual planet or something, rather than just a bunch of floating platforms. Continuously jumping around got me kinda pissed off after a while.

There wasn't that much jumping. Just a lot more than in Black Mesa.

I think that Xen had a great alieness to it. The main problem was that graphics at the time limited how large and detailed it could be.

I'm seriously hoping for a return to Xen, or that the Xen-ified Earth section is huge.

Grrr...I hate Xen. If I wanted to jump around that much from pillar to pillar then I'd play Turok for the N64. But if we do go back to Xen in HL2 I hope it will look a lot better.

You'll be transported back to the very beginning of HL1 in Black Mesa after you save/resolve the situation in HL2. A nostalgic re-entry into the past. However, everything will be good this time, and you will finally be able to walk around Black Mesa with no threat to your life.

You are just an average scientist at the Black Mesa Research Facility.

the game somehow will end in time travel. either, you find out g-man is freeman, change the future so the past will be ok, something. im telling you here and now, time travel will be involved.

if there is an HL3, then definetly hl2 will end like HL1 did*not really an ending, keeps yo uthinking.) if it doesnt end like that and theres hl3 then itll be like zelda: ocarina of time, and zelda:majoras mask; a totally different game.

Xen was the terrible (but nessecary for plot purposes) ending to a great game, which Gabe loved and convinced everyone to put in, but no-one wanted to do so they gave it to the work experience kid.

Back