up to 1600mhz fsb

kickass2009

Reaction score
How come i see all these computer builders say the antholon 64 has up to a 1600mhz fsb. I can go to one site they say their amd 64 system has a 1600mhz fsb and another site says they have a 800mhz fsb. And just an hour ago i was at a site that claimed there amd 64 systems had a 400mhz fsb. WHoes talking bullshit and who isnt?

Athlon 64s dont have FSB but rather Hypertransport which is a serial data link.
AMD Athlon 64/Opteron CPUs have Hypertransport links that can work at 1600mhz but depend on the system.
The hypertransport on the nForce3 150 boards is 600mhz (300 up/300 down). Which is why nForce2 150 sucks but nForce2 250 will be better (400 up/400 down for the nForce2 250 like it should be).
Hypertransport on the Via boards are 800mhz (400 up/400 down).
The new boards coming out in a bit will be 1000mhz (500 up/500 down).

BTW Athlon 64/Opteron systems can transfer up and down the bus at the same time but are half the transfer rate for up and down.
P4 systems can only go up or down but do so at the full speed.
But remember Athlon 64/Opteron systems have the memory off that bus and are onboard. So only PCI/AGP/Harddrive data travel up/down the hypertransport bus while on P4s everything runs up/down on the FSB.

Im not sure about what Asus said because i dont know much about them, but another thing might be that there are 2 types of the athlon XP...

There is no 1600mhz hypertransport bus in use on any board you buy today.
What they advertise is just the max frequency of hypertransport links the CPU can support.
The Opteron are being used in clusters with it's onboard dual memory controllers and the hypertransport links make it a great choice for SMP uses. Just isn't fully used in desktop PCs obviously.

So http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-150-049&catalog=22&depa=1 doesn't actually have 1600 mhz FSB? That's bullplop :frown: lol

What about http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-152-031&catalog=22&depa=1 what does "Integrated into Processor Type" mean exactly??? On the AMD 64's it says the FSB is integrated into the chip... I assume that means it can go as fast as the motherboard can... but that isn't too logical if both mobo and CPU are "integrated."

P.S.
Thanks for the help Asus!

Think of it like this.
Your board you buy for an Athlon XP says it can go up to 400mhz FSB...
you buy an Athlon 2500+ that only uses a 333mhz. It is like that except there are no CPUs using that speed yet.

Athlon 64s don't have a FSB. They might fill that blank in with the Hypertransport info though.
Not exactly sure why they said "Intergrated into Processor type" because that is true for the memory bus but not for the Hypertransport. Guess because ppl usually look to the FSB to get an idea of memory bandwidth they say that.

I was doing some reading the otherday and I stand corrected.
It is 800mhz hypertransport up and 800mhz down = effective 1600mhz.
Not a true 1600mhz but it is still good because it can do up and down at the same time. Like I said b4...P4's can only do one or the other and throw everything over that bus.

What got me thinking was when I came across this review and the Test systems specs.
Link

Asus said:
Athlon 64s dont have FSB but rather Hypertransport which is a serial data link.
AMD Athlon 64/Opteron CPUs have Hypertransport links that can work at 1600mhz but depend on the system.
The hypertransport on the nForce3 150 boards is 600mhz (300 up/300 down). Which is why nForce2 150 sucks but nForce2 250 will be better (400 up/400 down for the nForce2 250 like it should be).
Hypertransport on the Via boards are 800mhz (400 up/400 down).
The new boards coming out in a bit will be 1000mhz (500 up/500 down).

BTW Athlon 64/Opteron systems can transfer up and down the bus at the same time but are half the transfer rate for up and down.
P4 systems can only go up or down but do so at the full speed.
But remember Athlon 64/Opteron systems have the memory off that bus and are onboard. So only PCI/AGP/Harddrive data travel up/down the hypertransport bus while on P4s everything runs up/down on the FSB.

Don't you mean that the nForce has a 16Bit 600Mhz up and 8 Bit 600 down, and the VIA has 16Bit 800Mhz up/down, which equates to 1600Mhz. Its not 400 Up/Down.

Right, I corrected myself in the post above. ;)
And that is why the nForce 3 150 is not a great choice.
The VIA chipset, the SIS chipset and the comming nForce 3 250 are great choices.
Those three have 800mhz hypertransport up and down.

Back