Update Screwed up my game :(

B

Ben_jamin0

Before the recent half life 2 update i was able to play it fine, on full performance. Now that it is updated it comes to the point where it loads the main menu but it freezes and doesnt load. i have waited for about 10 minutes but it leaves me to restart my computer. What can i do to resolve this problem?

Cheerz,
Jamin

Welcome to the world of Steam. Valve mad a quality game, shame about the f**cked up prgram which we have to run it off.

Solution is to try a different XP account (i know that might sound weird) but do that and run steam on the new XP account. (fixes most things, strangly)

Steam is bug-ridden, it does inappropriate things without inappropriate reasons at an inappropriate time and manners. Period. :(

Hooray for balanced opinions!

(Also - who says it has anything to do with Steam?)

Zelnaga said:
Welcome to the world of Steam. Valve mad a quality game, shame about the f**cked up prgram which we have to run it off.

Solution is to try a different XP account (i know that might sound weird) but do that and run steam on the new XP account. (fixes most things, strangly)

I presume "main menu" means the half life 2 screen where u can see "new game" and so on. If thats the case I dont see any connection with steam in this... its the game itself, not steam.

Me too

Alright... I have the exact same problem as the thread-starter. Surprisingly, the new account in XP was able to run it without the error. However, this process is a rather obnoxious one to go through every time I want to play HL2... it there another way to fix this problem? I just recently did a complete reinstall, but to no avail... please help!

Oh, yeah... specs are as follows:
P4 2.4 GHz
512 MB DDR RAM
Radeon 9600 XT 128 MB VRAM
Windows XP Pro

Thanks in advance.

I was posting yesterday about my dislike of how Steam handles patches... well, this is it - there is no way to revert. Even if the person deletes HL2 and redownloads it off Steam, Steam will still do it with the latest update too that has, for this person, screwed the game.

Yes ... unless you aren't entirely stupid and turn off automatic updates instead.

It's in the game's properties. Also - you complain that there's no way to revert? Pray, do mention a game where you can easily revert back to the unpatched version?

Hmm, I can easily revert any other game that I own. One way is to backup the files the patch changes before installing it, another is to extract these anew from my game CD. Or maybe that's considered complex these days?

Solver said:
Hmm, I can easily revert any other game that I own. One way is to backup the files the patch changes before installing it, another is to extract these anew from my game CD. Or maybe that's considered complex these days?
no, just most people don't backup their game every time they patch it, and devs don't keep old patches available on their websites.

HL2 has those huge GCF files that are a much bigger pain to back up, and you can't see what exactly a patch does anyway easily, whereas for normal patches, just check the RTP/InstallShield/whatever script.

And yes you can get old patches easily from mirrors for most games.

It's good that Valve don't require people to back up, etc., etc., but they do hinder power users.

Solver said:
HL2 has those huge GCF files that are a much bigger pain to back up, and you can't see what exactly a patch does anyway easily, whereas for normal patches, just check the RTP/InstallShield/whatever script.

And yes you can get old patches easily from mirrors for most games.

It's good that Valve don't require people to back up, etc., etc., but they do hinder power users.
http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php
http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/editorial.jsp?src=demo_editorial
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/quake/quake3-arena/index.php?game_section=updates

you can? not very easily, or at least not from the official sites.

Official sites no, I said mirrors. While for instance playground*** keeps all patches for the game:

http://www.playground***/files/action/?s=1&p=38

You can there also see 4 patches for UT2k4, for example.

Can I just point out that turning off automatic updates does NOT work if you play in online mode. Any game you play in online mode will have automatic updates re-enabled as soon as you start the game (application), even before you start actually playing it (i.e. before the server starts).

While this may be a pain for power users trying to keep multiple backups for rolling back (like, all three of them), it's exactly the way I would do it if I were Valve, otherwise there would be scores of lusers who forgot to turn it back on and ended up playing with old borks long fixed.

Personally, none of the updates have borked anything for me, but then I haven't been playing cos I remembered I never finished HL1! Technical difficulties with my old machine, before you all start shouting abuse at me. Needless to say, I left nothing alive. Except that G-Man, gawd I cannot wait to frag his skinny ass!

I'd say it's hardly surprising that turning off auto-updates for an ONLINE game doesn't work - think about it!

amp6k said:
Alright... I have the exact same problem as the thread-starter. Surprisingly, the new account in XP was able to run it without the error. However, this process is a rather obnoxious one to go through every time I want to play HL2... it there another way to fix this problem? I just recently did a complete reinstall, but to no avail... please help!
There is clearly a program loading with the old account that is conflicting. Find out which.

I have the same problem as the threadstarter, but only for HL2: DM. Try looking for an antivirus program or something, and disabling it. That's advice I got many moons ago. :E

Wow i didnt no i would get this many replies, thanks for all of the replies guys, in the end i restarted the computer then when steam auto-logged me in i just signed out signed back in loaded up the game and it loaded fine..So i guess it must have just been the update not properly finished

Thnx for all the replies and help guys,
Jamin

The update made my stuttering really bad. I had to use the CL to turn off the command which was enabled in the update.

I can never remember the command off the top of my head, but it was something on the lines of 'noforcemattexturesinto hardware 0' or something like that.

Kirkburn said:
I'd say it's hardly surprising that turning off auto-updates for an ONLINE game doesn't work - think about it!

That's precisely my point, but a lot of people are posting that you can turn auto-updates off without mentioning this, so I thought I should.

You can. If it does not work and the update keeps going get out and come back into steam and it should not auto update.
I do it all the time.

I'm not talking about cancelling an update in progress or anything like that. I'm just pointing out that I've read a LOT of posts where people have said "oh, you can just turn off automatic updates" and in not a single one of them has anyone mentioned that playing in online mode will turn them back ON. I'm sure there are thousands who are smart enough to work this out for themselves, and I'm equally sure there are thousands who aren't. Just trying to be helpful.

have u by any chance installed a mod recently? i installed just a small one, and i guess i put it in the wrong directory, and that stuffed up hl2 until i removed it.

Sid Burn said:
lol... good thing I never update my HL2 game.
Your loss (the people with Steam problems are in a tiny minority, as shocking as you might think)

I too got errors after the update. Sometimes it says it can't connect to the Steam network, sometimes it says "PreCondition Assertion Failed", and sometimes both. So I can't even log in to Steam. I uninstalled it completely, and reinstalled it, but that didn't help at all.
I also disabled my firewall, opened all the ports on my router, yet, no luck.
I wish someone could help me with this, but it seems I'm the only one having this crappy problem.
Anyways, if you want to, you could check out my topic on the Steam forums, it has some more details on my problem.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2104848#post2104848

I would really appreciate any help.

Juggy said:
I too got errors after the update. Sometimes it says it can't connect to the Steam network, sometimes it says "PreCondition Assertion Failed", and sometimes both. So I can't even log in to Steam. I uninstalled it completely, and reinstalled it, but that didn't help at all.
I also disabled my firewall, opened all the ports on my router, yet, no luck.
I wish someone could help me with this, but it seems I'm the only one having this crappy problem.
Anyways, if you want to, you could check out my topic on the Steam forums, it has some more details on my problem.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2104848#post2104848

I would really appreciate any help.
Alot of people couldn't connect to the Steam network yesterday when the patch came out because the whole network was just far too busy to handle everyone at once. That may have been your problem. If that is still happening though then its probably a different story.

The servers are indeed still under heavy load and cannot cope with everyone at the moment.

Back