Upgradable Weapons??

Styloid

Reaction score
I Just read the Valve Only info there's an email by Blud Stane about the manipulator and Gabe's response was:
"Yes, although it changes through the game as it gets upgraded."
:eek: ??

yeah, interesting eh, maybe later on u will get to take on those striders with parked cars and trees or something lol.

I doubt if any of the other weapons are upgradeable though. But meh, maybe there are more suprises. :)

i know it sounds really cool, altough i think it will be the only upgradable weapon

Maybe that's why we've seen two manipulators. The one we see in Trap Town and the one we see being used at the beginning of the E3 trailer.
I know Gabe has told us that they've only picked one of the two weapons, but who knows? Maybe he's been joking around with us.

So what? That implies nothing about you being able to upgrade your normal weapons. I'm guessing it'll just be the manipulator that's upgradable along with a few other alien/sci-fi weapons.

Afterall, there's not much you can add to an MP7, M29 or USP Match anyway.

I can't see there being a special crowbar attachment that allows you to instagib or anything.

Hope we don't start with the fishing-rod type manipulator - it was bum.

I suspect unreal 2 style "upgrades" where they just add a new feature here and there to certain weapons.

we might get upgrades like... Laser sights... Silencers... Scopes... those would be practical upgrades to existing weapons...

This "upgrade" system might be similar to the game: Revolution's upgrade system.

Sounds a lot like the system in Deus Ex. That was an awesome system though, so no complaints here! :cheese:

There is no weapons upgrade system. All the guy has said is that the manipulator is upgradable to allow extra weight to be picked up etc.

He has NOT mentioned anything about standard weapons being upgradable. You're all just reading between the lines!

Well, then this probably explainis why we saw a "Manipulator" with a blue stream and one without a blue stream.

There is no weapons upgrade system. All the guy has said is that the manipulator is upgradable to allow extra weight to be picked up etc.

Isn't that what most of this forum is all about?

actually I think what he means is as you progress through the game, to compensate for its lack of actual lethality, it will inherently increase the amount of weight allowed to be manipulated.
probably just that gun though.

then again valve arent the kinda guys to skimp on the inovations, so you never know :)

there is no mp55 in the game, Valve have already stated this, the one you see in the vid is a p model placeholder

It stands to reason that enemies get tougher as you progess through the game. It also stands to reason that the weapons become more deadly as you progress through the game.

However the manipulator is so cool they wanted to have it involved all the way through which means the only way to make an early weapon useful against a later enemy is to allow it to do more damage or lift larger items.

I agree with chris_d, if anything other than the manipulator is upgradable I'll be surprised.

Upgradable weapons! :D

This could only mean one thing!

Attachments

• turbocrowbar.jpg
    turbocrowbar.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 315
Yeah, upgradable weapons would be cool. Imagine starting out with a basic Glock and then getting a laser sight later in the game.

Anyway, upgradable weapons is nothing new. Didn't Uneal have this where your basic blaster would get upgraded throughout the game?

This is all rather similar to people's speculations as to whether it'll have a non-linear plot. Let's face it people, this is HL2 and not DX2. Let's play both and appreciate them for their relative merits...

God, that sounded lame

I took this out of the Valve info only thread:

Headcrab

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 6:37 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Quick q's

Hi Gabe, it's been confirmed that CS2 has been in development, and it's been rumored that the CS team has been working with Valve on an "unknown" project for quite sometime now. Will the CS team be pumping out a mod using the Source engine? And will it be released with HL2?

Gabe: Yes, and no comment.

TF2 has been left to the spiders and flies for all we know, can you finally confirm that TF2 will be released in Source with HL2?

Gabe: TF2 is being done in source, and will be released as a stand-alone product. TF2 is not the included MP.

Thanks for your time...if you ever even answer my email....that is....

Hey great RTD... you copied and pasted something.... but what does that have to do with anything?

It sounds like the manipulator will power up during the game to handle heavier stuff. Maybe you just get more fuel for it or something.

Half-Life 2 isn't a RPG, I don't think weapons will be upgradable. Not in a true sense anyway.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Half-Life 2 isn't a RPG, I don't think weapons will be upgradable.

Yes. Although I can see Alyx upgrading you manipulator a different stages of the game. (Maybe thats another reason for not killing Alyx?)

Upgradable means YOU have control over changing it, not automatic things hapenning. That's not really upgradable...

You ever notice the meter on the manipulator in the lower left of the device? Is this a power meter or a meter to measure load weight?

Perhaps the manipulator has limited ammunition, in the form of energy? Something similar to the gauss and gluon guns.

Originally posted by Frank
Maybe that's why we've seen two manipulators. The one we see in Trap Town and the one we see being used at the beginning of the E3 trailer.
I know Gabe has told us that they've only picked one of the two weapons, but who knows? Maybe he's been joking around with us.

the one in the tech demo was simply to show us the technology it was announced that that one is not actually in the game

love the turbo crow bar. Perhaps that is one explanation for why the boards of wood smashed before he swung at it.
I hope Doctor Kleiner upgrades his clothing. I can see his glasses getting gradually thicker as the game progresses.

Q: Can I upgrade barney to a T1000?

Q: How do you upgrade a snark? A: Very carefully

Hmmm.... I wonder if the manipulator can be upgraded to pick up living objects?

I hope so... In a big big way. But I have a feeling that'll be one of its limitations

Back