Upgrade this week?

Asus

Reaction score
Any of you order new parts from the AMD price cuts and Core 2 Duo availability? I know a few of you said you were going to.

I ordered an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ and an Abit AT8 32X Xpress 3200 (this sucker can hit 300-350Mhz bus speeds) via fedex.
I already have the memory which I bought this past spring, Corsair XMS 2x 1GB DDR500 PC4000.

The X2 CPUs support higher memory ratios so I should be able to run the memory at DDR500 without OCing. Or I could set the ratio to DDR400 and see how far I can OC the bus speed.

how much you spending on all this? oh ya asus how old are you?

how much you spending on all this? oh ya asus how old are you?
I'm just buying the board and CPU. :angel:
I'm sort of dying for a dual core setup. I'm doing more and more multitasking. The other day I caught myself trying to play DoD:Source while recording a TV show, downloading, listening to music with iTunes, xfire, and FAH in the background. So after this I'll have a dual core rig and I'll have my A64 3000+ and my old 1gb memory in another box. Should help a bit.
I'm 24.

where the hell do you guys get your money for these projects?
hehe
I worked and saved money. Not going out to eat for fast food all the time and didn't spend money on other things like DVDs, music CDs etc.

I still have to save for quite a while :(

Edit: Wait, I thought your gfx card was AGP? Did you buy a new one?

I'm comtemplating getting cpu/mobo/gpu/ram upgrade since I'm currently stuck on a socket 939, agp combination. Not sure yet because of the whole vista, direct x 10 deal.

I'm going to upgrade my processor and gfx card.

Going to up the processor to 2.8 and going to grab a 7800 gs (AGP)

I'm comtemplating getting cpu/mobo/gpu/ram upgrade since I'm currently stuck on a socket 939, agp combination. Not sure yet because of the whole vista, direct x 10 deal.
DX10 cards will still run on PCI Express slots. So if you're planning on upgrading your motherboard, PCI-E will work fine with Vista/DX10.

Asus: The link to your new board lists as Socket-939. Don't all the X2 processors run off of AM2? [edit] Nvm, your X2 is also s939. For shame... :D

DX10 cards will still run on PCI Express slots. So if you're planning on upgrading your motherboard, PCI-E will work fine with Vista/DX10.
Yep, but if I get a new gpu now I will probably not a dx10 card until the end of 2007.

upgrade... yes!

yeah, I ordered my X2 3800+ yesterday at 2:01PM... 2 minutes after NewEgg changed their prices. Yay for being at work on my computer all day so that my e-mail price alert thing comes, and I can order right away. Although, I see that NewEgg still hasn't sold out of that, so it didn't really matter how fast I ordered after all. I kinda figured people would snap these up very quickly upon the change in price.

Anyway, now all I'm waiting on for the computer in my sig is the ASUS motherboard. <sigh>

I havent picked up anything yet. My local shop hasent posted updated prices on their web site, so I am going to e-mail them asking if or when they are dropping CPU prices. If they arn't I'll just buy online. Are there any recommended Canadian hardware sites or sites ships to Canada?

AMD64 X2 3800+ AM2 @ 2.60 | ASUS M2R32-MVP Deluxe | 2x1GB OCZ Platinum EL DDR2 | ATI X1900GT

You sir have great taste in parts (I am getting the exact same system except 939).

I finally ordered a WDSE16 500GB HDD today. I can finally stop deleting everything on my 200GB HD just to make room. Next is to get my new RAM, which really won;t help me much til I get my new CPU.... f*ck you Pentium 4.

I finally ordered a WDSE16 500GB HDD today. I can finally stop deleting everything on my 200GB HD just to make room. Next is to get my new RAM, which really won;t help me much til I get my new CPU.... f*ck you Pentium 4.
That's an awesome drive. I have one too. Quiet and fast.

If that is available where I'm going, then you bet I'll pick that one up.

Go for an eVGA card with the model number ending in -AR. It's eVGA's newer revision that supposedly fixes some of the problems with the 7900 series. I have two of them on the way, so hopefully they both work alright. eVGA's step-up program is nice too.

I ordered a 3800 X2 after the price cuts, but I wish I had a 4000 X2 but it was either its 1 FPS increase or an LCD display :D

You sir have great taste in parts (I am getting the exact same system except 939).

yeah, my new system is pretty incredibly tasteful. What do you think, ASUS?

ViewSonic VX2025 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Antec P180 Case with Antec NeoHE 550 Power Supply
ASUS M2R32-MVP Deluxe Motherboard (when available)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ overclocked from 2.0 to 2.6Ghz
OCZ Platinum EL 2x1GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM at 4-5-4-15
Connect3D Radeon X1900GT Video Card
ATI TV Wonder Elite TV Card with Remote Wonder II
Western Digital WD2500YD x 2 in RAID0 configuration
NEC ND-3550A DVD+/-RW DL Burner x 2
NEC 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Build 5472
Microsoft Windows MCE 2005 update rollup 2
openSUSE Linux 10.1

ASUS just needs to get off it's arse now and release the motherboard already! I'm kinda pissed, I have to get the Connect3D brand X1900GT - I don't usually like Connect3D, it feels cheap or something - because it's the only X1900GT available that has ATI's second-generation reference cooler. I really want the second-generation cooler, cause it's MUCH quieter and cooler. Hopefully a better overclock! :p

I should probably have gotten an nVidia 7900GT, but I'm planning ahead for my ATI triple play physics system, and I wanted something crossfire-compatible with a single slot cooler. Ah well... such is life.

I'm waiting for my new Core 2 system to arrive, but I have something to say to everyone whos going for a Asus P5W DH Delux mobo. Everyone said it would take Core 2s, but this isnt right. It only took engineering samples (review cpus) and you need a bios update if you want to run your "real" Conroe on it.

However, it might not be as bad as it sounds. You can still boot with a Conroe in it so all you have to do is download this:

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?type=3&id=177&desc=asus_p5w_dh___retail_conroe_bios_issues

Burn it on a CD and flash your mobo.

Asus might already fixed this but some who pre-ordered might have this problem.

I will most likely place an order tomorrow or sometime in the beginning of next week.
I'm getting an Athlon 4200+ (either that or a 4400+ depending on if I can find out if they've got it in their stock or not) and a MSI K8T800 mobo, it'll definately be a step up from my current 1,7ghz Celeron *shudder*...

I'm getting the E6600 as soon as it's available so I can be sure I don't have to wait for it to be restocked, but I have to wait for the Nforce 5 since i'm going with 2 7900GTs in SLI.

I'm getting the E6600 as soon as it's available so I can be sure I don't have to wait for it to be restocked, but I have to wait for the Nforce 5 since i'm going with 2 7900GTs in SLI.
I'd bet by the time the Nvidia boards come out the Core 2 Duo chips will be restocked. I mean, mwave went out of stock of the AMD chips and back in within the same day. If Intel ships as many chips as they say they are I don't think there will be a supply issue. Not to mention the price might start off inflated and then come down to MSRP over a few weeks.

If I where you I'd wait til the Nvidia board is released.

Whole new computer, I'll probably put the specs in my sig after I get it

I'd bet by the time the Nvidia boards come out the Core 2 Duo chips will be restocked. I mean, mwave went out of stock of the AMD chips and back in within the same day. If Intel ships as many chips as they say they are I don't think there will be a supply issue. Not to mention the price might start off inflated and then come down to MSRP over a few weeks.

If I where you I'd wait til the Nvidia board is released.

Thinking the prices might go down a bit?

Back