urban combat map for half life 2 single player

Not trying to be offensive but from the screens, the map (archetecture wise, haven't played it) looks pretty bland.

whats wrong with the lighting? There isn't any shadows.

I think I'll check it out. But seriously, you should change the textures to some nicer ones :). And work on the architecture a bit (make it richer). But it looks interesting. :thumbs:

Oh and maybe add some floating particles and fog.

I am new to mapping, just learned how to a week ago. thanks for your input, you guys are welcome to change the map and put it up for download, that would be appreciated. like to see what other people could do with it :D

Better than I could do, but you'll need some work for it to become really good.

If you're going to create a map such as that, I suggest making it a multiplayer map.

Baal said:
Better than I could do, but you'll need some work for it to become really good.

If you're going to create a map such as that, I suggest making it a multiplayer map.

If it was a mp map it would be boring, i made it so i could have lots of fighting going around, it is quite hard i still havn't killed everyone yet with out dieing on there . of course i do have the setting on hard heheh.

Nice looking first map. The general idea is good, keep up the great work!

Turn off fullbright, sheesh. Add some lights!

Not bad for a beginner otherwise. :thumbs:

gokumike said:
If it was a mp map it would be boring, i made it so i could have lots of fighting going around, it is quite hard i still havn't killed everyone yet with out dieing on there . of course i do have the setting on hard heheh.

Fair enough. If you've decided on SP then, try to use the Antlion_Trooper map as a basis (scripted events and such) because well..that map was truly awesome!

Maybe add music as well. Something people are familiar with.

May I suggest Nightwish - Kinslayer? Especially if you could find an instrumental version, which jsut the opera type singing, none of the other. Maybe edit out some of the parts.

Anyways, good luck.

Looks pretty cool I agree with the other guys up there but for a new mapper good job. When I made my first few maps all I did is make big battles cuz its fun. On a side note, Nightwish is awesome.

Baal said:
Fair enough. If you've decided on SP then, try to use the Antlion_Trooper map as a basis (scripted events and such) because well..that map was truly awesome!

Maybe add music as well. Something people are familiar with.

May I suggest Nightwish - Kinslayer? Especially if you could find an instrumental version, which jsut the opera type singing, none of the other. Maybe edit out some of the parts.

Anyways, good luck.

the geometry is leaps and bounds ahead of antliontroopers

I am also looking for mappers who would like to make a new sp maps. or anyone needing a mapper to work on anyone elses map please pm me :cheers:

jimmyjam said:
the geometry is leaps and bounds ahead of antliontroopers

That wouldn't be hard, it's a little desert area, shaped in a circle ;)

But I meant in terms of scripted events and such. Combines getting dropped off by the gunship, Antlion Guard knocking open the door, etc.

What could make this map better (in graphical terms, haven't played it yet):

- Some lighting :p
- A realistic boundary from the map, like some houses, rather than that green grass wall :)
- A 3D skybox with city scenery and some trees.
- Some props like lampposts and telegraph poles (of course with ropes which make people say "wow")
- More debris

But it certainly looks good for a beginning mapper :thumbs:

very well made for a beginner, better then what I could do :rolleyes:

PvtRyan said:
What could make this map better (in graphical terms, haven't played it yet):

- Some lighting :p
- A realistic boundary from the map, like some houses, rather than that green grass wall :)
- A 3D skybox with city scenery and some trees.
- Some props like lampposts and telegraph poles (of course with ropes which make people say "wow")
- More debris

But it certainly looks good for a beginning mapper :thumbs:

thought about adding a skybox with buildings in the background, if i could get it to work hehe. and another thing i thougth about is adding background sounds of combat like bombs going off and gun fire etc.

But if some people want to help me i think it would be cool to recreate a battle like that of the town at the end of the movie of saving private ryan :thumbs:

I suggest opening one of the maps that came with the SDK, and copy&paste the light_environment (looks like a little sun) into your map. Recompile and it'll looks loads better.

Then you can mess about with the settings of it until you get it to look how you want. (Brightness, colour etc.)

Back