US Marine Rifleman/Officer

Jeremy

Reaction score
The below is for Operation CoIn

marinerender.jpg

marinerender1.jpg

~4,500 polys

Constructive crit is welcomed because I have not started unwrapping it yet.

Reference used:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...02cb8290c685256de800691d4e/$FILE/DSC_0079.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...033fcc2785256de8006f4c72/$FILE/DSC_0002-1.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...a81e276c0085256de80060e22d/$FILE/DSC_0019.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...142b048aa185256de8006e550a/$FILE/DSC_0113.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...6cacb4fc3685256de800619ff7/$FILE/DSC_0027.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...cd01ca74e785256de80064a791/$FILE/DSC_0034.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/imag...90a5576ea85256dea0067635b/$FILE/Artillary.jpg

venturing outside the world of RO? :D

Good model, though the way the boots are bloused looks odd (well, it's not the way i blouse mine anyway). Minor crit, otherwise, that's a grade-A model for that poly count!

Thanks sir. I'm gonna look into the boots, you're not the only one who says they don't look quite right.

As for RO, RO is still the majority of my time. This is actually my project that I'm doing in my spare time now, and is kind of on the down-low at the moment ;)

btw, good luck with CW:MP, it's looking promising as well. I was a huge OFP fan and I read a lot of Clancy novels, so I actually like the America vs. Russia setting a lot. :cheers:

Oh also, jsut noticed this. Not modle related, but i belive the model with the boonie cap is for marine sharpshooters/marksmen, not officers. However, i'm didn't research that, so I might be completly wrong on the count. :)

hehe, i was thinking about e-mailing some of you're skinners/ unwrapers and asking them if they wanted to skin/unwrap a model or two for cw:mp, but i oculdn't tell who did what :/

lol, they're pretty busy.

As for the boonie hat, Argyll told me to make it, so I did :p

feet remind me of japanese bondage :) make em bigger

Originally posted by waedoe
feet remind me of japanese bondage :) make em bigger

You mean "foot binding". Japanese bondage is something else entierly :eek:

u said polgons? do u mean triangles of squares ? if its squeares thats like 9000 triangles :O

Originally posted by IchI
u said polgons? do u mean triangles of squares ? if its squeares thats like 9000 triangles :O

Since when have Polygons been squares? Those might be referred to as faces. Yes, ~4,500 polys.

Damn...I can't edit :\

Anyways, back to business.

The helmet on the soldier may be a lil too small for him?? o_0 I may be wrong??
But its an awesome player model.

You're right. I'll fix that. Easy fix!

Oh, and here's my latest creation - first person hands.

handswip.jpg

handswip2.jpg

Note: I fixed the long nail on the thumb since the render :)

Originally posted by Jeremy
lol, they're pretty busy.

As for the boonie hat, Argyll told me to make it, so I did :p

I actually said that silly Marine hat ;) But, the NCOs will not have a helmet in order to distinguish them (might make this an option) from the others.

But, the reconnaissance (a.k.a Recon or Recce) soldiers will have the bush hat (in the render above). The Snipers will be in a Ghillie Suit ;)

A polygon is any 2D shape with 3 or more sides (triangles and rectangles are both polygons, so be more specific)... and a face is any flat side of a 3D shape (faces can be polygons, but they can also be shapes with curved edges like a circle).

Many 3D modeling programs don't break rectangles down into triangles unless you tell them to... but games only render in triangles, so the polycount doesn't mean much unless by "polygon" you mean to say "triangle."

Do everyone a favor and say triangles instead of polygons if that is what you mean and we can avoid the confusion next time.

-shouldn't his jacket be alot larger not to mention it shouldn't be wide open like it is.

-His holster is to small

-Does he eat alot of chocolate, because he is quite enormous.

-His clothes are way to baggy

-It doesn't look like 4,500 tris more like 3,000

-Why did you model the 2nd layer of clothing out like it is? It'll look odd animated not to mention it could just as easily be skinned on.

-His dick must be abnormally small because well, his feet are abnormally small and you know tha urban legend... AM I RITE?

-His face has no definition at all

-And the eyes are like wtf.

-Try using good smoothing next time

-And the buckle on the big round thing on his belt looks like a retarded cude that's out of place.

P.S Were does he keep his condoms? Every soldier needs those.

Originally posted by Pezz3D
[B-His dick must be abnormally small because well, his feet are abnormally small and you know tha urban legend... AM I RITE?
[/B]

LMAO!! Hey...I got pretty big feet :cool: :p

Really awesome work though Jeremy, progressing in modelling at a super fast pace o_0 I have a hard time keeping up. I wanna learn player modeling soo badly, have tried...a lil bit. But my 3dMax is broken (for about 2 months now), and I havn't been able to get my CD or a new version...damn

Originally posted by SidewinderX143
the hands, helmet and boots aren't loading for me.... :(

Yeah, happened to me too, but I used a proxy address to view the pics o_0

ye back to constructive critasism anyway.

the boots look to skinny and his ankles need to be thicker. Make this feet longer as well to make him look less out of preportion.

The hands look very nice although they are totally flat. Try bend the fingers a inside of the parm a bit and bring the thum joint inwords. If u don't know what I mean then move your own thum left and right with your parm fashing u and u will know what I mean.

One thing to point out that might help u save some polgons, the eys in hl2 are done really dodge. They are not balls. They are simple faces and some how its got some kind of animatable texture on it that moves. Its really weird (u could proberly save about 10-20 triangles on each eye if u used balls. I can't see, just a point to make out anyway)

Where the legs join to the hips (where his balls are) u have a sort of M shape the middle of the M been his balls. Trosers don't do this. They connect in the middle without another layer inbetween. Look at your own trosers and see.

the top side of the left leg has a smoothing problem, its sort of just this really bit black indent. Unless u have welded some verts together wrong or something.

The clothes on the arms look like they are flying, unless he is in space :D if u could get a lot better shape out of his arm by making them look more baggy and not just tubes.

the eyes need bring down because your eyes are in the middle of your head, well round abouts they are just a little to to the top of your head. Anyway ye its only a small amount, proberly change this when u make the helmet look bigger.

Hopfully some of these might help u. Some of them could be contravertional but hopfully they help.

Good work :cheese:

Okay pezz, first of all, I'll take your crit lightly because I've known you for a while and have learned to hate your criticism and dislike most of your work, just like you dislike mine.

shouldn't his jacket be alot larger not to mention it shouldn't be wide open like it is.

ACTUALLY, if you took some time to look at the reference I have posted, the "jacket" is actually underneath the main layer. The second layer is actually KEVLAR, not jacket, and is worn exactly how I modelled it. His jacket is not wide open, every US Marine wears a VEST over the KEVLAR where magazines are attached to and such. So sorry, you're wrong.

His holster is to small

Already fixed

Does he eat alot of chocolate, because he is quite enormous.

He only appears that way because of the extra equipment he's wearing including kevlar. Here is a render of the player without all the extra layers.

usmc_noequipment.jpg

His clothes are way to baggy

Baggyness is actually something that happens as people get wear out of their clothing, and is something that adds to the quality and reality of the character. It is about personal opinion and also the way cloth deforms. Lastly, but of course not least, American uniforms are pretty baggy. Here's an example of baggy clothing in the USMC during combat excersizes:
http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/gulf_war_2_iraqi_freedom_marines/usmc135

It doesn't look like 4,500 tris more like 3,000

That's because you're an idiot Pezz, there is barely, if any, unneeded polys/messyness on the model, except for what is under the kevlar vest and inside the mouth, which will be seen ingame but not in a render. This uniform is under the kevlar vest in the render above, which is the default uniform for all future models using this base to come, as seen in one of the above questions.

Why did you model the 2nd layer of clothing out like it is? It'll look odd animated not to mention it could just as easily be skinned on.

Argyll wanted me to, and I modelled it so it will deform just fine while being animated.

His dick must be abnormally small because well, his feet are abnormally small and you know tha urban legend... AM I RITE?

I fixed the foot size already, thanks for looking, check page 1.

fixedboots.jpg

His face has no definition at all

Yes, I made it that way because of the way HL2's facial expressions are. I modelled it so that the character can raise his cheeks/lips/eyes can be raised, his eyes opened and closed, his mouth openable and teeth animatable. If you are referring to the quality of the face, I don't think you have the right to call the head bad.

Oh, and incase you didn't see the latest render of the face/helmet:
fixedhelmet.jpg

I fixed the chin/mouth area so that the chin is more defined and the mouth is more proportionate.

And the eyes are like wtf

They will look good once textured.

Try using good smoothing next time

I didn't really care to smooth it great, and this is actually completely irrelevant towards crit'ing the model.

And the buckle on the big round thing on his belt looks like a retarded cude that's out of place

Thanks for the opinion, but once again that is not helpful at all.

NOW, onto the more civilized comments and crits :)

the boots look to skinny and his ankles need to be thicker. Make this feet longer as well to make him look less out of preportion.

Look above, I already fixed the boots.

The hands look very nice although they are totally flat. Try bend the fingers a inside of the parm a bit and bring the thum joint inwords. If u don't know what I mean then move your own thum left and right with your parm fashing u and u will know what I mean.

Are you referring to the character's hands or the first person hands? Both of them are the way they are because of the way they're going to be animated. Bending the fingers and stuff is something that will be done with bones when the time comes.

One thing to point out that might help u save some polgons, the eys in hl2 are done really dodge. They are not balls. They are simple faces and some how its got some kind of animatable texture on it that moves. Its really weird (u could proberly save about 10-20 triangles on each eye if u used balls. I can't see, just a point to make out anyway)

Thanks for the information. However, I did not currently model a "ball," for the current eye. It is actually about 6 polygons each or so. I guess I modelled them good enough though if you got the impression they were balls :)

Where the legs join to the hips (where his balls are) u have a sort of M shape the middle of the M been his balls. Trosers don't do this. They connect in the middle without another layer inbetween. Look at your own trosers and see.

This I don't really consider that big of a deal, but yea, that is sorta there to make things deform better when animated, and also, army trousers are a bit different. I modelled this like America's Army did with their models, which I figured would be a pretty accurate way.

the top side of the left leg has a smoothing problem, its sort of just this really bit black indent. Unless u have welded some verts together wrong or something.

Actually, that was done for a crease/fold/baggyness effect. I did the same thing with the Red Orchestra characters, and they look fine when skinned :)

The clothes on the arms look like they are flying, unless he is in space if u could get a lot better shape out of his arm by making them look more baggy and not just tubes.

OKAY, before they're too baggy..and now they aren't baggy enough? hehe. Well, I think the sleeves look good now for the proportions they are on soldiers. Plus, the "floating" affect will be gone once it's animated.

the eyes need bring down because your eyes are in the middle of your head, well round abouts they are just a little to to the top of your head. Anyway ye its only a small amount, proberly change this when u make the helmet look bigger.

I'll look into this and if I see that you're right, I'll gladly fix :)

Hopfully some of these might help u. Some of them could be contravertional but hopfully they help.

Yea, I appreciate the kind nature of your crit, unlike some people :)

Argyll wanted me to, and I modelled it so it will deform just fine while being animated.

You didn't have to, but yea I did suggest it. It looks great anyways and so long as it deforms right, it's fine.

Originally posted by Jeremy
Okay pezz, first of all, I'll take your crit lightly because I've known you for a while and have learned to hate your criticism and dislike most of your work, just like you dislike mine.

You are too kind. :)

Back