US survey: magnetic ribbons

kaf11

Reaction score
I want to find out how widespread these things are and if you hate them as much as I do. What I'm talking about (for our non-U.S. forum members who may be unaware of this problem) are these little ultra-patriotic magnetic ribbons people slap all over their vehicles. Theyre usually red white and blue and say something like "god bless the u.s." or "support the troops." I dislike them because in my area (north eastern U.S.) it seems to have become a contest to see who is more patriotic by having these things all over their vehicles.

I just feel that its fake patriotism that you pick up at the checkout at walmart while youre buying more chewing tobacco, american flags, osama-your-mama t-shirts and a T.V. guide so that you know what time american-idol is on.

kaf11 said:
I want to find out how widespread these things are and if you hate them as much as I do. What I'm talking about (for our non-U.S. forum members who may be unaware of this problem) are these little ultra-patriotic magnetic ribbons people slap all over their vehicles. Theyre usually red white and blue and say something like "god bless the u.s." or "support the troops." I dislike them because in my area (north eastern U.S.) it seems to have become a contest to see who is more patriotic by having these things all over their vehicles.

I just feel that its fake patriotism that you pick up at the checkout at walmart while youre buying more chewing tobacco, american flags, osama-your-mama t-shirts and a T.V. guide so that you know what time american-idol is on.

They came out a while ago when people were either for the war or against the war. Someone decided to cash in on the idea of "We should still support the troops, no matter what you think." and they came out. It pissed off uber liberals, and during the election people with that kind of stuff would get their car vandalized (although it was usually just the Bush stuff). Uber liberals would decorate their cars with the gay pride stuff and the "Bush is a Bastard" crap. I don't think it is much of a contest, more of like a "These are my beliefs, you can go **** yourself" sort of thing. I have no problem with them, although I don't have one and I dont think I ever would.

I see "We the people say NO to the Bush Administration" flags everywhere.

Annoying to see these things no matter what they say.

sorry i forgot to mention it, but i didnt want this to become a bi-partisan politics thread. thanks for responding.

im just pissed of at the stereotypical "These cullorz dont run!" rednecks who literally cover their entire car with them. Im willing to bet that if i were to ask them if they genuinely participate in any activity to support the troops or the war effort they wouldnt have anything to say for themselves. these magnets seem like yet another american easy solution. put magnet on car to show support. then go watch tv.

edit: although i see why anti-bush stuff is annoying, its different than pretending to support people who genuinely do deserve support.

meh, it sounds like its just a fad. Most fads are really annoying but quickly die out anyway.

we here in germany do not have this problems. every one is very careful about patriotic things becose people might think he is a nazi. ****ing nazis ruined this country.

but they had nice uniforms :p

just kidding

:cat:

I kinda like the "Don't blame me: I voted Libertarian." bumper sticker.

I don't like it when they put them on their Mercedes or Lexus :(

/me is lucky.
England is safe from crazy Americans.
But there are many in hl2.net
/me runs :O

ooooooh me command is back

/me dances :imu:

/me lives in America but dislikes it very much

/me tries to catch up with Fat Tony!

kaf11 said:
sorry i forgot to mention it, but i didnt want this to become a bi-partisan politics thread. thanks for responding.

im just pissed of at the stereotypical "These cullorz dont run!" rednecks who literally cover their entire car with them. Im willing to bet that if i were to ask them if they genuinely participate in any activity to support the troops or the war effort they wouldnt have anything to say for themselves. these magnets seem like yet another american easy solution. put magnet on car to show support. then go watch tv.

edit: although i see why anti-bush stuff is annoying, its different than pretending to support people who genuinely do deserve support.

It is just a fad, most the people I know with one have one because other people do. My friend was trying to get one and I asked him why and he said "Because man, you have to support or troops." , he is a huge dumbass too. Oh and I have "supported" our troops, I sent them candy for halloween :)

im not trying to say that noone here is NOT supporting the troops, i just think a lot of americans think that they in fact ARE supporting the troops by putting one on their car. theyre just not putting much thought into their "support."

edit: must be nice to be away from crazy americans fat tony.

I can't say I'm the type to ever get one, but I've always thought of them as being fairly harmless.
Don't the official ones have a certain amount of the price sent to a fund of some sort? Like cancer magnets/bows?

no, please dont think that a percentage of that money goes towards anything. only if the store (only ones ive seen are local, not walmart/similar stores) explicitly says that it goes towards some charity will it actually help anyone.

a fun thing to do that a great professor of mine told me is to go into grocery stores/convenience stores/ whatever that have "we support our troops!" in the window and ask their manager what it is that they do that supports the troops. the dumb look on their face is priceless when they know that they dont do shit for them.

kaf11 said:
no, please dont think that a percentage of that money goes towards anything. only if the store (only ones ive seen are local, not walmart/similar stores) explicitly says that it goes towards some charity will it actually help anyone.

a fun thing to do that a great professor of mine told me is to go into grocery stores/convenience stores/ whatever that have "we support our troops!" in the window and ask their manager what it is that they do that supports the troops. the dumb look on their face is priceless when they know that they dont do shit for them.
Ooookay
1)Thats why I noted about the "official" ones. I'm aware the vast majority are just bought like every other sort of good. I do however know that there are charity ones, I'm just unaware of which and to what charity.

2)The idea of "Support Our Troops" is usually mental. It's encouragement and, well, verbal support. The idea is people don't want them to feel like they're coming back from another Vietnam.
Confronting store owners and belittling them sounds incredibly stupid and insensitive.

kaf11 said:
im not trying to say that noone here is NOT supporting the troops, i just think a lot of americans think that they in fact ARE supporting the troops by putting one on their car. theyre just not putting much thought into their "support."

edit: must be nice to be away from crazy americans fat tony.
I always thought it was a way to just sort of brag about your political beliefs, kind of like "If you don't support our troops, **** off and die".

Actually, it seems to have become one of those little bits of the public consciousness. The idea is that no matter what your stance is on the war, you don't want anyone thinking that you are spiteful towards the troops. This was a political football in Washington that got tossed around a lot, and people have come to think of the distinction as important.

almost as bad as livestrong bracelets...

remember guys, it's cool to be humanitarian now!

Direwolf said:
Actually, it seems to have become one of those little bits of the public consciousness. The idea is that no matter what your stance is on the war, you don't want anyone thinking that you are spiteful towards the troops. This was a political football in Washington that got tossed around a lot, and people have come to think of the distinction as important.
Yeah. Politics forum shows this clearly- there are those in there who don't think the war is right but they're in support of the troops- and sadly, as you read, there are those who are against the troops and support attacks on them, too.

There's nothing wrong with these, if anything if I had come back from a year plus of duty in Iraq I'd be happy to see these. The message the soldiers get from the media isn't good, when they actually get to see how people feel and support them- that's what matters.

Why is it annoying, kaf11, to support our countrymen in a war? You can support the people fighting the war without supporting the war itself.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Why is it annoying, kaf11, to support our countrymen in a war? You can support the people fighting the war without supporting the war itself.
Well said. :cheers:
(why am I even in here?! I'm not American!)

I'm from Ohio. They are all over the place here too. Some red/white/blue ones and some yellow ones. I don't even notice them anymore and I couldn't care less if people have them on their cars. I wouldn't put one on my car that's for sure, but if it makes people happy, what do I care.

babyheadcrab said:
almost as bad as livestrong bracelets...

remember guys, it's cool to be humanitarian now!

Better than it being cool to be a twat...

Don't you think?

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
let me try again. in no way am i not supporting our soldiers. im not using this as a debate about whether this war is justified or not. the only reason this came to my mind is that i think about our soldiers a lot, almost too much. everyday i think to myself how lucky i am that theyre oversees risking their lives so that i dont have to, and everyday i see things like these magnets and wish that instead of buying into a false sense of support there was something more to it.

Back