using 4 speakers with m-audio 410

yurki

Reaction score
Hi
my problem might be a bit too specific, but here it goes:

I have the professional soundcard: M-audio 410 which has 8 outputs. I have
4 connected on my 4 monitor speakers. I just want to use the '4 speaker' option
in HL2 to get a good surround sound, but no, it doesn't work. I tried to set the
standard driver in windows to 'FW 410 Multi' without succes...

Any idea's ? maybe some trick with some kind of virtual 4.1 or 5.1 driver with a possibility to
route/convert the signal to my individual 4 outputs...

thanks in advance !

laptop t7500
m-auidio 410 Firewire
windows xp sp2
latest Hl2 version...

Do you have the drivers for the 410 installed? There should be an app that comes with it, where you can perhaps configure/map how the outputs work.

yes I have the driver properly installed and there is indeed a routing app. But
the problem is that HL2 sounds are only coming into track 1/2 (just the first stereo track) on the mixer app. So it's only stereo and that's what it will stay, whatever kind of routing I make further on...

Is your sound card actually advertised as being able to tackle surround sound? Cards like that are for music production and sound engineering, and those outputs aren't meant for surround sound gaming/etc.

I know it's probably a silly idea, but if you've got 8 outputs, have you tried setting it to 4 speakers then fiddling around the ports of the speakers which aren't picking anything up?

yes I'm aware of that. But since Hl2 has this option for 4 speakers, I would say there might be a possibility. In theory it should be possible because I have enough outputs...

and about fiddling around the ports: In this case that is no use because I only receive a stereo signal. What I can do of course is give my two rear speakers the same stereo sound as the front, that routing option I have. But that's only semi-4 channels....it's just stereo sound on 4 speakers....

Perhaps you can find some custom drivers for that audio card which enable the use of surround sound.

Back