using hl2 soundscapes

UltraProAnti

Reaction score
ok, i understand there are 245 pre-existing hl2 soundscapes, and i'd like to use some of them in what i'm working on (which is NOT a mod, just some SP levels), but how do i actually get them into the env_soundscape entity? the dropdown in the entity lists about 5. i tried cutting and pasting in the name of one of the others but no cigar.

also, is it true that custom soundscapes are only possible with a mod? i see mods have a scripts folder under the modname folder, but nothing equivalent for hl2 when i browse with gcfscape.

that's the list i already have, which is how i knew there were 245 soundscapes. doesn't answer my questions though, neither do any of the other pages in the dev community pages

Ahhh, sorry.. just paste the text there where u have the 5 dropdowns :)
Also i should make your own scripts to change volumes and add sound effects and random sounds etc...

SuperHebbe

custom soundscapes can't be done in hl2, unless valve have fixed this in an update.

as for what's the soundscape entity dropdown: i don't have hammer open right now, but there are only about 5 entries in the list, not the 245 in list available here:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Listing_of_HL2_Soundscapes

the ones i have in the dropdown are numbered 1,2,3,10,11. i've even tried pasting in one from this list into the box, but get silence

mostly my other questions were answered here:

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=2252

Can't you have a custom soundscape by embedding a soundscape definition file into the BSP?

ok, but i'm still getting complete silence when i try to use any of the existing soundscapes that aren't listed in the dropdown within the entity window

Dead-Inside said:

i'm making an SP MAP. this doesn't work for SP.

the existing HL2SP soundscapes will do fine, i just need to know how to get the damn things to actually play

so, does anyone have an answer at all? has anyone gotten soundscapes other than those you see in the entity window to work in SP?

i mean, it's not like this thread is 4 months old but still without an answer or anything...

dont you jsut type it in. I know I did that but that was for CSS i must admit... I just had a look at what all the soundscapes were named an then i took the ones i liked, such as "Office.Indoorsa"

Typing that made the soudscape work for me if you typed it wrong then you got an error message in the console saying "soundscape xxxx.xxx cannot be found" and that was the end of that.

UltraProAnti said:
so, does anyone have an answer at all? has anyone gotten soundscapes other than those you see in the entity window to work in SP?

i mean, it's not like this thread is 4 months old but still without an answer or anything...

Umm, why exactly wouldn't a custom soundscape work for SP? Did I miss something here or are you just being lazy because you don't want to make your own?

Dead-Inside said:
Umm, why exactly wouldn't a custom soundscape work for SP? Did I miss something here or are you just being lazy because you don't want to make your own?

you missed something

...at this point in times its impossible to get custom soundscapes working in sp. So for the mean time you will have to make do with the pre defined ones hl2 use's.

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=2543

yes, interlopers really ownZ j00

it's the pre-defined ones i can't make work. i put them (from the list of 242) into the soundscape name field, compile, and... nothing. only the 5 list in the dropdown in the entity window work

Back