Valve and IGA Settle Legal Dispute

^Ben said:
Nice to see some of you guys still get worked up over "if's" and "buts" here is a nice little tip about press releases, when companies kiss and make up and don't sue the shit out of each other, they always end it with "we hope we end up working together in the future!"

Usually they don't, but such is the nature of PR.

Mate, that's the most positive, yet realistic take on the whole affair. I sure hope you're right.

R.Flagg said:
If such a thing were ever to happen, I'd expect the game to be free. That's how it works with my TV and radio (in the States anyway).

If I watch a TV show as it's broadcast over network TV, it was free and so I have to see the ads. But if I then go and buy that show on DVD, I sure as heck don't expect to see the ads there. It's ad-free because I paid for it this time, not the advertisers.

So sure, let the game be "realistic" and with advertising, just don't expect me to pay for it.
Ha, do you think a few ads will pay for the ENTIRE development, and shiping for the game? Do you think that the retailers will gladly give away free games without getting anything for it? Do you think Fedex or whoever will bring them to the retailers for free? Do you think that the actualy companies doing the advertising will pay for ALL of that?

ríomhaire said:
Ha, do you think a few ads will pay for the ENTIRE development, and shiping for the game?

No, you're right, I thought of the same thing later on. If it were in fact only a few ads, it probably wouldn't cover the entire cost. But if it works and catches on, some day it could easily be more than a few ads. Even with say, only one or two billboards or something in a map, they could have it change every time you play or something.

And another angle I hadn't considered yet in my analogy is product placement stuff they do in movies and TV. So even if I did buy a regular-commercial free TV show/movie on DVD, I would still be subject to the product placements that are put in the show itself.

I don't think the idea itself is all that bad, but I do think it ought to be handled like the other examples, and at least bring the prices down. And for some games, 'free with ads' might be one last ditch way to get the game played at all.

Perhaps it could be like NetZero, where ads didn't cover whole cost so they added a price, but it's cheap.

I dunno, it's kinda interesting I think.

I'm not for ads if they distract me, and presumable to be effective they would have to do that. It's probably an urban legend but wasn't a billboard ad pulled cos it was distracting drivers too much?

-Crispy- said:
If it was something as unobtrusive as "Zodrex proudly sponsors Half-Life 3" then I wouldn't be too upset. It's when ads try to force their way into your brain that I get PO'd.
I sponsor stuff now? o_O

ZoFreX said:
I'm not for ads if they distract me, and presumable to be effective they would have to do that. It's probably an urban legend but wasn't a billboard ad pulled cos it was distracting drivers too much?

I sponsor stuff now? o_O
Actually I just tried to come up with the least plausible name for a product, and it happened to be yours!

Ah, I've subliminally worked my way into the minds of the forumites... Victory is mine!

I love the part of this thread where people seem oblivious to recognize that Valve is a money grubbing profit monger.

"BUT TEH EA!!! They'll sell little things for a LOTS O MONEY!"

Yeah. So will and HAS Valve.

-Crispy- said:
"Glad they clarified that"

Both the quoter and the quotee are pretty short-sighted if they think that that public news is only aimed at gamers. There are the interests of the non lingo-savvy investors to think about, too.
I'm not a gamer, if I saw the term "in-game advertising" I would have no idea what they were talking about because I am so ****ing stupid that I can't even take a guess at what that means.

Really man, do you think the term "in-game advertising" is hard to define? Or is that just flame bait?

theSteven said:
I'm not a gamer, if I saw the term "in-game advertising" I would have no idea what they were talking about because I am so ****ing stupid that I can't even take a guess at what that means.

Really man, do you think the term "in-game advertising" is hard to define? Or is that just flame bait?
In-game advertising could -to the leyman- mean a number of things. It could mean that there are ads on the box, in the manual, on the installation screen, on the title and main menu screens, on the loading screens or actually in the game. Clarification is important.

-Crispy- said:
In-game advertising could -to the leyman- mean a number of things. It could mean that there are ads on the box, in the manual, on the installation screen, on the title and main menu screens, on the loading screens or actually in the game. Clarification is important.
Yesterday I heard the term "in-game advertising" does this mean that the advertising is on the manual's, the box, the loading screens, the titles screen or in-game? *head explodes*

Not everyone asociates the word 'game' with 'video game' you know.

ríomhaire said:
I think that's probably the weightier argument I was trying to make.

ríomhaire said:
So... I'm a total n00b and was not aware that when people say "in-game advertsing" when there talking about a board game or something there actually talking about video games?

If the term "in-game advertising" was used when people were talking about video games they'd know what they were talking about.

Back