VALVe, appease our consumerism. Sell us more stuff.

What HL2 products would you like to see?

• I want a tshirt! (HL2 Logo on black in [u]various sizes[/u])

Votes: 22 6.6%
  • I want a poster!

Votes: 23 6.9%
  • I want figures/toys! (Prefferably through Mcfarlane Toys)

Votes: 30 9.0%
  • I want that plush headcrab, dammit!

Votes: 100 30.0%
  • I want stickers! (to put on your computer case, pet, etc)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • I want some other crap! (Post & Specify)

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • I want it all!

Votes: 78 23.4%
  • I'm buying a retail copy of HL2, and thats enough for me.

Votes: 73 21.9%

• Total voters
They're a huge corporation that assimilates good developers, then pushes them to release games as fast as possible... and as often as possible. EA promotes practices that are the opposite of developers like Valve that don't release a ton of expansion packs to milk money out of a series (the HL expansions were made to reveal other sides of the story, not just to add a few features to HL and charge full price... or to make mods of the regular game incompatible with mods of the new expansion, forcing people to buy the expansion if they want to play certain mods) and give the community more free content like TFC, Ricochet, DMC.

Think of the Sims. To get the full experience you needed to buy EIGHT products: The Sims, Living Large, House Party, Hot Date, Vacation, Unleashed, Superstar, and Makin Magic.

Think of Battlefield. In two years they've release Battlefield 1942, Secret Weapons, Road to Rome, and Battlefield Vietnam. They promised an SDK for Battlefield 1942 on release... there was none. They said it would come in the next patch... it didn't. They said it would come before the first expansion... it didn't. They said it would come before BF:V... it didn't. It never came. The people in the modding community made all of the tools on their own and taught themselves how to mod the game.

EA is all about making money, even if it means pushing games out before they are ready and releasing the rest as an expansion pack. They don't care about the customers. We are just giant wallets and/or credit cards to them.

They're a huge corporation that assimilates good developers, then pushes them to release games as fast as possible... and as often as possible. EA promotes practices that are the opposite of developers like Valve that don't release a ton of expansion packs to milk money out of a series (the HL expansions were made to reveal other sides of the story, not just to add a few features to HL and charge full price... or to make mods of the regular game incompatible with mods of the new expansion, forcing people to buy the expansion if they want to play certain mods) and give the community more free content like TFC, Ricochet, DMC.

Think of the Sims. To get the full experience you needed to buy EIGHT products: The Sims, Living Large, House Party, Hot Date, Vacation, Unleashed, Superstar, and Makin Magic.

Think of Battlefield. In two years they've release Battlefield 1942, Secret Weapons, Road to Rome, and Battlefield Vietnam. They promised an SDK for Battlefield 1942 on release... there was none. They said it would come in the next patch... it didn't. They said it would come before the first expansion... it didn't. They said it would come before BF:V... it didn't. It never came. The people in the modding community made all of the tools on their own and taught themselves how to mod the game.

EA is all about making money, even if it means pushing games out before they are ready and releasing the rest as an expansion pack. They don't care about the customers. We are just giant wallets and/or credit cards to them.

wow, couldn't have summed it up any better myself.

Also another example... C&C generals... man what the hell was that? It was a mediocre game (IMO) but could have been FAR better. Also a lot more optimization was needed and bug fixes.

I dunno i think they could have done a lot better.

Also i think their motto should be "EA Games: Challenge to make a good game"

Actually, I really wouldn't want a plush headcrab, because when I go to sleep and it's sleeping next to me, I would have nightmares like it's sucking on my head...

I would want the stuffed headcrab and a barncle light that would beable to stick to the wall and have a little white string that turns it on and off.

Sojourn said:
I would want the stuffed headcrab and a barncle light that would beable to stick to the wall and have a little white string that turns it on and off.
Shouldn't it stick to the ceiling?

Theres some great ideas in here guys.

Dr. Freeman said:
i remember reading a post about 2 weeks ago on a scientist doll that says "why do we have to wear these ridiculous ties!"
I'd love this! I'm going to have that line stuck in my head now.

Lobster said:
A foot high plastic gman alarm clock, and he looks at his watch, straightens his tie and says, "Wake up mr freeman" !!!
Probably a bit much, but still a cool idea. Maybel I'll set up an alarm with my computer so that when its time to wake up, I hear Gman say "Wake up and.. smell the ashes". That'd be sweet. :D

nah...valve make games, not gimmicky money making things :p. They'd have to contract a company to do all this, and woah we might have another Sierra/VUG vs VALVe battle lol.

bring on HL2. I'll keep the box next to my bed for the first week :p

Man that Gman alarm clock idea is awesome, except id want a life-sized Gman that looks at his watch to tell you the time
and wake up mr freeman as an alarm would KICK ASS,
id put the stuffed headcrab over gmans head as well lol

I have a poster.
I have a shirt.
I have a HL2 box. (not the real final box :O )

Where have you been?

I want everything I can get my grubby little hands on. Bedsheets would be the best, but a headcrab beanie would be almost as sweet, if it was made really good. T-shirt would have to be discreet (ie. not an image from the game, but just the hl2 logo for example). Prefered colourschemes would be orange on white and black on beige. Heck, I want hl2-curtains too.

.bog.

when will they come out with hl2 wallpaper? as in for real rooms... :) They did for Sonic...

oldagerocker said:
when will they come out with hl2 wallpaper? as in for real rooms... :) They did for Sonic...
When will they come out with any of this stuff?

The polls are starting to look decisive,.
The plush headcrab (that, I agree, you should be able to wear on your head) is ahead by a long shot.

But it looks like there is good support for all of the polled products, with more good ideas here in the thread.

Keep them coming, guys. Maybe VALVe will start paying attention.

I want headcrap slippers. Since winter is comin, I'd rather have those on when I crawl out of bed in the morning to play HL2 :)

Putz said:
I want headcrap slippers. Since winter is comin, I'd rather have those on when I crawl out of bed in the morning to play HL2 :)
Why not just play in a nice, temperature-controlled HEV suit like the rest of us?

A crowbar keyring.

I mean really, its that too much to ask. Who the hell are the marketing people, and do they just think of the stupidest things they can.

DUhhhh how about an Xboxed size Tshirt because all the people who play games are whales.

A little crowbar keyring. They cant be that much to make a little piece of metal and paint it. Use some of the taiwanese sweatshops making the shirts to make some keyrings that people will actually take outside of their houses.

Why not just play in a nice, temperature-controlled HEV suit like the rest of us?

I think I need to post more to get mine issued.

OCybrManO said:

:LOL:
ahh the creative ways of Cyber :E
i still want the scientist doll saying "why do we have to wear these ridiculious ties!"
come on.. u know more of u would get a kick outta that :)

Plush headcrab!
Yaaarrghh! It is coming right for me!
*turns into a zombie*

Yes. I would love to fall asleep with a plush headcrab in my arms. :)

I want my headcrab beanie! A plush headcrab would be pretty rockin though, but it needs to have an elastic strap for head attachment purposes.

i want a toy strider, with a real life zero point gun or whatever gun it is that warps gravity(as seen in original strider vid).

(gravity because the light bends towards a point... ya know...)

OR! they should have "adult toys" based on hl2. :naughty: i know some chicks who'd be all over that stuff. ;)

I want a tshirt! I want a poster! I want figures/toys! (Prefferably through Mcfarlane Toys) I want that plush headcrab, dammit! I want stickers! (to put on your computer case, pet, etc)!

I WANT IT ALL!!!

f|uke said:
First off, Steam rocks, VU sucks, and I hope VALVe kicks the tar out of them in court. As long as VALVe uses the power of Steam in the name of good (savings passed on to the consumer, no monthly charges for purchased multiplayer software that runs on private sector servers), then it is a force for good!

However, for those of us who want to support Steam, something is indeed missing.

I dont feel I need a CD or a booklet, as long as all information contained therein will be made available.

However, I do want something to serve as a constant reminder of my travels as Gordon Freeman.

I would definitly buy all of the crap listed above. What can I say? I'm a fan.

Vote for your favorite, or post a new idea.

First of all, steam doesn't "rock". It's an excellent concept - but it's still buggy. I'd say it's good, but needs more work.

...and what's this animosity towards VU? they may not be the best but they do their job fine - and valve is as much as messy in the whole court business as VU is. Every VU published game I have seems pefectly tested.

Wow,. where'd this thread come from? Thanks for digging it up, Daegon :p

Ians, I stand by what I said. Steam works great, and its the concept which rocks. VUg sucks for litigating against VALVe for a peice of Steam's HL2 sales. VUg is NOT entitled. They do not own HL2 and need to accept that. Instead they want to hinder the evolution of the videogame economy for their personal greed.

All this "I hate VU" is just the kids around here taking out their contempt for authority (and their frustration towards their parents which doesn't let them stay up and play "just one more time"). Because (apparently) if VU hadn't gotten in the way we would've had the game ages ago...

KagePrototype said:
Stuffed headcrab doll would be brilliant. :D

compare that vs the scientist doll saying "why do we have to wear these ridiculious ties!"

who wins? :p
okay..maybe unfair comparasion.. but u know a scientist doll saying that would pwn :E

f|uke said:
Wow,. where'd this thread come from? Thanks for digging it up, Daegon :p

Ians, I stand by what I said. Steam works great, and its the concept which rocks. VUg sucks for litigating against VALVe for a peice of Steam's HL2 sales. VUg is NOT entitled. They do not own HL2 and need to accept that. Instead they want to hinder the evolution of the videogame economy for their personal greed.
I would guess that the contract between VUG and Valve says that VUG has the exclusive right to sell HL². Then by selling it themselfs, Valve has broken that contract. Of course I'm only guessing, but I think it's pretty close to home.

Yellonet said:
I would guess that the contract between VUG and Valve says that VUG has the exclusive right to sell HL². Then by selling it themselfs, Valve has broken that contract. Of course I'm only guessing, but I think it's pretty close to home.
It is my understanding that VALVe is within the letter of the contract to distribute HL2 through Steam, and that VUg is upset because they felt they were "misled". However, this is a matter for the courts to decide. Still, I hope VALVe wins, because more power to Steam is more power to devs & gamers.

What bothers me about VUG is that they made Valve sign a one sided contract before HL1. Now they want the rights to HL1. But thats enough about that.

I want it all. How about a HL2 mouse pad. I've been useing a Max Payne mouse pad that came with the game.

Things I'd buy:
-full human size rubber doll resembling Alyx,
-black backpack with a half life logo on it,
-radio controlled Alyx's dog,
-shirt like one of the random City17 citizens wear,
-Gordon full size cartoon cutout thingy
-shorts with little HL logos all over
-Combine soldier halloween mask
-Combine soldier electric stick/pacifier thing that would buzz and flash
-licence plate frame with "City17" or "Half Life" or something else related
-HL logo key chain
-Half life logo shaped lollipops
-Lego set featuring a scene from HL
-HL logo rear car mirror hanging thing
-lots upon lots of stickers, small, big, round, HL logo shaped
-Playboy edition with Alyx centerfold
-big a$$ poster featuring the whole HL/HL2 set of characters
-custom computer case sticker saying "HL2 Boxen" or something

I'm stopping here but the ideas could be flowing all night....

I want a life-sized GABE DOLL! And a Douche Lombardi punching bag.

I wonna save up my money, go to my local McFarlane toys retailer, and buy a 12 inch 'affordable, miniature sculpture' of Gordan Freeman, Alyx, and Gman.

Combine17 said:
Things I'd buy:
-black backpack with a half life logo on it,
-shorts with little HL logos all over
I like these. Some HL2 boxers would be sweet :D

How about some kind of collectors crowbar? :O

break into cars with style

Back