Valve effecting ATI

Frost

Reaction score
This is an E-mail I recieved from ATI reguarding a question sent through their support page about when I can expect to see the Radeon 9800XT in stores... it might not even come to retail chains because of the delay of the game I'm assuming. Anyway figured some of you might want to know about this as I was expecting to buy it sometime later this month and that might not be happening now...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the availability of the Radeon 9800XT:

This is a online store special limited offer. Unfortunately we have no status as of yet if this product will be offered retail.

Regards,

Christopher Murdock
Customer Service Canada
ATI Technologies, Inc.
http://www.ati.com

i don't think it was ever meant to be a large retail release... i don't think hl2 has anything to do with this

Originally posted by Innervision961
i don't think it was ever meant to be a large retail release... i don't think hl2 has anything to do with this

bingo

affecting not 'effecting', it seems that everyone on this forum has the literacy skills of a dyslexic 3rd grader :cheers:

I might have to disagree a little. I think it had a big impact on ATI, which may have held their hand in putting it on the shelf. Where are all the other 9800XT cards by the other vendors? You would think ATI would like to see their card pushed out B4 the others (ASUS etc.) and with the promise of HL2 bundled then not ready im sure it had some effect....

Originally posted by bate18
affecting not 'effecting', it seems that everyone on this forum has the literacy skills of a dyslexic 3rd grader :cheers:

Hey im "old" and those two words always "screw" me up. What is the rule for those two?

Perhaps it may be limited through ATi...but the resellers (sapphire, asus etc) will definately be stocking it.

Its normal to do a fall refresh of a gfx card line, they don't do it just for specific games..

Dammit. I wanted to buy a Made By Ati 9800xt. Also, I want to get the 128m version, since the 256 is a waste of money...anyone know if Sapphire is a good brand? Will they be making a 128mb version? Anyone have a link to their official website?

Originally posted by Aknot
Hey im "old" and those two words always "screw" me up. What is the rule for those two?

its quite weird actually.

"affect" is a verb, "Does this affect you?"

"effect" is a noun, "HL2 has cool effects."

however, there is some weirdness:

you would say "x is effecting y" not the other way. "affecting" is not a word.

also, "effects" is the same as "affects", when used as a verb.

"This effects us" = "This affects us".

Basically, "affect" is a verb, and always a verb, you can change it just like normal verbs, affected, affecting, affects.

"effect" can be either a verb or a noun, but if its a verb it has to be in another form, like effects, effecting, effected. "effect" itself is not a verb.

edit: wow, this is really confusing.

Wow, this got off topic and turned into a english class leason :) LOL I orginially thought the game was to be released to retail stores to replace the 9800 Pro and 9600 Pro cards and the major selling point would have been "Bundled with Half-Life 2" Now ATI is considering the cost of rolling out their product to all the major retail chains all over the US and overseas vs waiting for their "next big card" to market that to stores with HL2 as the delay seems pretty iminate at this point although I'm still holding out a little hope that the game will hit before 2004. Like I said in my first post, just figured some of you would want to know because it seems pretty safe to say that at this point if you still want the card you should order it direct from ATI's website. I've already built a new computer, mainly to run HL2 and Doom III but I think I'll wait till Half-Life 2 or Doom III goes gold before I purchase a new graphics card. Its the most outdated thing in my system right now but still not a horrible card (Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4400 128MB) so I think I can wait till the major two games are gold...

Originally posted by bate18

well it bea good thingie we got you to help, public schools teahc nothing

There are too many other companies involved for them to delay the release of these cards. Asus, saphire, etc...

Originally posted by Frost
Wow, this got off topic and turned into a english class leason :)

Sorry bout that.

I have yet to see a 9800XT on Pricewatch. So are the other vendors waiting? How long do they have to wait? Can ATI extend their wait point because of the games availaibility? The whole purpose of ATI bundleing HL2 was for sales. If I can get a "compareable" 9800XT from Sapphire or another and the game for less then the aTI bundled you better believe I will. So yes it will err...affect (right Typhon?) ATI and sales in the long run, and I bet Valve will have (maybe) to give back a portion of the 8 mil. depending on how the deal was struck.

Sorry just got to work no cofee......no editintg.....

the XT is shipping out of preorders as of today, at least from ATi itself, the card WILL be available in volume, it's not some weird special edition or something. CLub3D or powercoler (effectivly the same company) will bring a 128 MB version to the tables. Both 9800XT AND 9600XT will have the HL2 inside. Till the game becomes available it will be a coupon or something like that (perhaps you have to online register your card or call a phone number or something like that) the card will not be delayed because of the HL2 delay.

the thing ATi meant in their e-mail is that the BBA cards with HL2 will be in their online shop only and not in other retailers...

more questions about Radeon (9800XT) ? visit the rage3d forum @ www.rage3d.com/board and have a go :)

Thanks for the heads up, it seems as though a renewed optimism is going around about the release of Half-Life 2 in November... here's to hopping :)

Back