Valve "hoping" for a release date soon

well it all depends on how long they test the games. its not just one game this time if u think about it, its HL2 HLS + CSS.

haha, yeah. I hope the game finally comes out. I've never lost interest since a year ago, in fact, it's just grown!

I wish I didn't know anything about Half-Life 2. It would be totally different to, for example, see a strider for the first time. Or when you got the Manipulator, and realized that the game has awesome physics.

http://community.vugames.com/[email protected]@.1dd82db4/0

Interesting... Appears some tester guy is claiming Vivendi are going to take 72 hours to test the RC, and if no bugs are found the game should be sent to go gold.

Of course, as with all things Half-Life 2, I'm wary if this information is realistic or not. Caution springs to mind.

Wouldn't it just be ironic though if Vivendi do clear the RC before Monday, and hey presto, the real Gabe Newell turns up on the Half Life 2 Fallout forums saying...

"We're going Gold, Monday."

That'd be a mighty head screw considering past events. ;)

Original Source: http://www.hl2fallout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6712&st=0&#entry124611

Member: Pandora's Box

"We're going Gold monday"
That would be hilarious. I would seriously laugh my ass off.
It's comming out in october people. Believe.

It says "Coming soon." Coming soon doesn't mean November. November is even close to September 15th is it...

Coming soon is a relative term in gaming. The official Doom 3 site said "full experience coming soon" a year ago.

Yep, coming soon does mean crap. It means, uh its comming. Yeah.

I forgot to add that the AVERAGE amount of RCs for a game is four. Some games have fewer, some have more, but to have the very first RC accepted is very, very rare.

Don't know who this guy is, but he seems to know what he's talking about.

:dozey: I think "soon" will probably be in a week or so; toward the end of the month. I am going with the others who speculate mid October to early November release.

There wouldnt be much point in lying about wether HL went gold with its first RC or not.

It wouldnt be possible to get it through steam before you can buy it in your shops. Vivendi simply wouldnt allow it.

Even if game publishers are "removed" you would still get RC and going gold stuff. imagine the crap a company would get if they released a game, loads of people pay and dled it only for it to not run for half of the people.

Feath said:
Some points to consider:

Although Doom 3 was released 10 days later in the UK, they could only release it either 3 days later or 10 days later. This is because most games in the US are released on a Tuesday and ALL games in the UK are released on a Friday. This means that Half-Life 2 will definately be released later than the US, even if by only a few days.

Not all games in the UK are released on friday, the majority are but games with world wide relase dates are often released the same day - normally a tuesday

arnt ppl forgeting about something

HL went gold within 48hrs of RC being submitted-that was with Sierra.

who knows...Vivendi's testing may be different to Sierra's. it could be longer or shorter

Well, it's already been 48 hours, hasn't it? They said that it was given to Vivendi on Wednesday.

Sashswash said:
Well, it's already been 48 hours, hasn't it? They said that it was given to Vivendi on Wednesday.

Yeah I think it's been 48..? :upstare:

DarkDamo said:
arnt ppl forgeting about something

HL went gold within 48hrs of RC being submitted-that was with Sierra.

who knows...Vivendi's testing may be different to Sierra's. it could be longer or shorter

if u have been reading the thread.. u would have read that most games take about 4 RC's.. some 2.. and while HL only took the first RC to reach gold status.. its considered rare.. so yeah. lets not raise everyone's hopes by +10 more than we need to k? :p

Dr. Freeman said:
if u have been reading the thread.. u would have read that most games take about 4 RC's.. some 2.. and while HL only took the first RC to reach gold status.. its considered rare.. so yeah. lets not raise everyone's hopes by +10 more than we need to k? :p

Can someone give me a quote saying that it only took one RC before Half-Life went gold? The Gamespot article didn't say that (it only referred to the final RC).

Dr. Freeman said:

Most companies probably send a buggy version to the publisher so they can find bugs and then get them fixed. In valve's case, in-house game testing and the CS:S beta test has allowed them to squish any "show stopping" bugs from arising; thus leading to only 1 RC. As far as I know, the only way a RC is rejected is if there are any bugs that cause the game to crash/render it unplayable. That being the case, I _highly_ doubt HL2 will have more than 1 RC.

Why are there so many people who seem to want HL2 to be delayed around here? You'd think people would be HAPPY that the game is coming out sooner rather than later. But noooo~~
People like elephant and Dr. Freeman seem to love being pessimests and saying it's going to be out in November, etc.

You call yourselves fans~!? :sniper:

Feath said:
Can someone give me a quote saying that it only took one RC before Half-Life went gold? The Gamespot article didn't say that (it only referred to the final RC).

i think Chris_D posted in the News & Announcements section about HL and its RC.

Kiva128 said:
Most companies probably send a buggy version to the publisher so they can find bugs and then get them fixed. In valve's case, in-house game testing and the CS:S beta test has allowed them to squish any "show stopping" bugs from arising; thus leading to only 1 RC. As far as I know, the only way a RC is rejected is if there are any bugs that cause the game to crash/render it unplayable. That being the case, I _highly_ doubt HL2 will have more than 1 RC.

Why are there so many people who seem to want HL2 to be delayed around here? You'd think people would be HAPPY that the game is coming out sooner rather than later. But noooo~~
People like elephant and Dr. Freeman seem to love being pessimests and saying it's going to be out in November, etc.

i don't want the game delayed...but i do realize its a business and stuff happens... u call me a pessimest? fine.. i don't care, i just don't want to get caught up into a hype which could turn out to be false...i'll be happy when i have the game :)

Kiva128 said:

I'm not pessimistic, I'm realistic. Learn the difference. I want to play this game as much as the next guy, but I have seen how Valve have behaved in the past so I'm not blindly optimistic like alot of people here. This time last year everyone was positive the game would be out in a matter of days, and look at us now....

They arent pessimists, they just love saying "i told you so" :p

Dr. Freeman said:

I'm pretty confident that Valve have a finished product sent to VU.(Edit: I don't mean they shipped the gold disc, but i meant a RC good to be gold)

However i doubt that this will be a simple matter of 48 hours. Although i do believe that it could go gold after the first RC.

But one thing is for sure, the shipping will take atleast 3 weeks. Although i would rather says it's like 5 weeks.

You can't just make a number of copies, corresponding to 4 million copies after the first couple of weeks, AND ship them to a worldwide release.

It's probably obvious that from a content (checking) standpoint, Vivendi have been involved at incremental (or progressive) stages throughout the production before now.

If you check the tester comments in that community post then you'll see as long as no 'serious problems' are found (i.e. show-stopping bugs), then the game is going to be approved. In other words, you'd hope that Valve and Vivendi have already nailed everything important down apart from a (hopefully) quick last rincing through QA.

Oh, and as for Chris_D's assertion that the RC went through Steam... That's almost certain to be the case. As far as I know, Vivendi Universal's QA Testing goes on in Ireland. Hardly a place to quickly get an RC there physically in double quick time from America. Not if they started going through it the day it was sent.

Back