Valve is attending 2012 CES; Showing Steam features?

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
[br]
If you take a look at the 2012 CES International's directory, you'll find that Valve is listed as an attendee. We don't know what they're showing. We've yet to see any news or a press release from Valve about their attendance. There are no details other than the general location of their booth. But they are going to be there, and if I had to take a guess then they'll be showing some Steam stuff.
[br]
What we'll probably see is Steam's Big Picture mode. It's a new, and separate, user interface for Steam that is specifically built for gamepad and TV support. It was announced earlier this year, but that's about it.
[br]
What do you think we'll see? Big Picture mode or something newer?

I could get my computer hooked up with the TV just fine, but I have to buy a longer cable or move the tower so I don't do it. If this makes it easier, that'd be nice.

Maybe they are showing Steam for iOS and android aswell? They said that they were working on a mobile version of Steam, right? :rolling:

Good point about Steam on the smartphones. That's a definite possibility!

Maybe they are showing Steam for iOS and android aswell? They said that they were working on a mobile version of Steam, right? :rolling:
Yeah absolutely, Kutta (a Valve programmer) said he had been working on it. CES tends to be predominantly a hardware based event though, so I'm not sure what we should expect. The big picture mode I believe is just a console adapted Steam UI, but I may be wrong. Maybe it's time for a little Steam console, a Steam box!

Episode 3 iPhone/Android exclusive coming winter 2012.

Yeah absolutely, Kutta (a Valve programmer) said he had been working on it. CES tends to be predominantly a hardware based event though, so I'm not sure what we should expect. The big picture mode I believe is just a console adapted Steam UI, but I may be wrong. Maybe it's time for a little Steam console, a Steam box!
Yeah. I was wondering recently with things like this and services like Steam and OnLive becoming more and more popular could consoles be superseded by simple box PCs that use some sort of special version of Windows with a TV-remote like controller for most navigation (seems like the most family-friendly method to me) and then wireless keyboards and gamepads for the other stuff.

Been listening a lot to the giant bombcast and pretty much all of them have migrated to hooking up their PCs to their TVs to take advantage of the PCs graphical superiority Vs the consoles, but the big sticking point does seem to be using M&K in the living room so it makes sense they'd look at a Controller interface for Steam, esp given many titles are controller friendly. But personally I'd rather it be something to do with EP3. Like a few here I think the whole joke of 'episodic' has run rather thin now (we're well into Duke Nukem parody territory now). In between EP2 and now other development studios have turned out not only new IP, but also sequels to them (Rocksteady for example). Sure I enjoyed Portal 2, but the half-life franchise is why I'm here. I personally don't give a stuff about things DOTA 2, because I'm just not that heavily invested in MP games as a rule.

Steam for Android plox, if possible with added community features.

I've been playing PC on my "TV" (an LCD mounted on the wall) with wireless keyboard and mouse (as remotes, if you will) for like ten years. Between keyboard shortcuts (for OS navigation) and Opera (which zooms the cleanest in my opinion, and has easy keyboard navigation), I only use the mouse for games and poorly designed/flash based web sites.

Are they "using" Steam? Steam, for me, is mostly just a game container... I use keyboard shortcuts in the (classic, thank you very much) start menu to open games, and Steam is just another window I have to wait for prior to game play. I haven't tried navigating Steam by keyboard only, but at a glance, it seems like it's not set up for that.

Would love to see Steam features coming to smart-phones. Steam chat on Android? YES PLEASE.

In between EP2 and now other development studios have turned out not only new IP, but also sequels to them (Rocksteady for example). Sure I enjoyed Portal 2, but the half-life franchise is why I'm here. I personally don't give a stuff about things DOTA 2, because I'm just not that heavily invested in MP games as a rule.

Agreed. It seems to me that Valve is more focused on Steam and digital delivery than games development.

Back