Valve knew of 'audio' bug?

H

Hunchback

While i'm not a conspiracy nut, i do know that in retrospect the fact of Valve only allowing this game to be reviewed on one pc in seattle does seem, well, conspicuous....did they already know of this problem - did vivendi? This game problem is too intrinsic for them to claim innoncence...i know 6 years i a long time to wait for a game, but people are having their first - and most important - run through of a game marred by this oversight. The stuttering, the constant disruptive autosaves - it's all a real shame.

Does anyone no of a case where the reviewer wasn't sent a copy of HL2? - and consequently got to see how a game, supposedly praised for its scalability, ran on a no. of system setups...?

d

IGN talks about it running on their computers. And the reason it was played at Valve ( there was more then one pc, but probably with all the same specs) it to prevent a leak of the game. (from what I read.)

Hey Hunchback, what audio bug are you talking about?? And what kind of stuttereing are you getting?? curious.

I tend to think of my computer as being pretty good and I'm rather surprised at some of the things I get in this game...some stuttering even at low resolutions like 1280x960 and 1024x760. Annoying to say the least especially from a game that's supposed to run better than Doom 3. I honestly feel like the game runs the same at about any resolution or settings i put it to. Strange. Could add validity to what you are saying.

yeah, if you look at the support forums you'll find a 300 + post about this 'bug' to do with the sound stuttering...thing is it isn't a 'bug' and it isn't caused by the sound (so we think) its a source problem, and as the graphics and sound are linked somehow - and not precached effectively - that makes it glitch a lot....tweaks have made this btr but not perfect.

Apparantly a poll on HL2 world shos that 60% of users have this problem - high ender as awell as others...

shameful :(

d

I bet any company would love to only let reviewers experience their game in a controlled environment. It's a very clever move on their part - they're good at this kind of thing!

Seems to me its the physics. It seems to happen a second or two after a new map is loaded (basically when all physic objects in the map fall down onto the map - they are placed 1 or so units off the map) To prevent this or rule out this they could make a map without physic objects or simply place objects which are not in front of the player at the time of loading slighly higher so they dont all hit at the same time.

I get the same bug when something big happens that envolves a lot of physics.

its not really a bug, try for fun, play the same level where you have it, with a res of 1024*768 with some details to medium, u wont have it anymore, its more memory related! and swapping on your disc...

atleast, my opinion...

I had some issues with the sound as well...now the sound only lags the first couple of seconds after a mapchange while its still caching stuff...(you cant really do anything about that i suppose)

I think i fixed it with the following commands which i found in the config.cfg:

Code:
dsp_slow_cpu "1"
sv_forcepreload "1"

Just try it and tell me if it works, maybe im just telling nonsense :p

Half-alife said:
its not really a bug, try for fun, play the same level where you have it, with a res of 1024*768 with some details to medium, u wont have it anymore, its more memory related! and swapping on your disc...

atleast, my opinion...

thats bull s**t

most people ARE playing it on those settings.

its definately a big bug, so dont talk about what you dont know

I never encountered an audio bug. Nor did 8 other friends of mine. All of us played on different computers.

Clearly it's not as common as you believe.

i get it all the time. most of the time i take it as a 'warning' that an important part is coming up that required an autosave. although i'd love to get rid of it somehow since it does get quite annoying and spoils the atmosphere that is so well crafted.

I had this bug, every quicksave and autosave came with 5 seconds of rapidly looping audio and a freeze, i fixed it by adding -heapsize 256000 to the launch options for hl2.

same here I have no idea of what ever this bug is. I think it might be ram related as I have 1.25 gigs of ram

Yep, had this bug too
solved it by changing speaker settings from surround to stereo.

well i start up my hl2 with console mod, during gameplay i could c error message in the console window.
"Failed to load sound "ambience/wind1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository". i got my hl2 via steam. it show 100% acquired. is it just me or anybody else have same error?

I use to have that but solved it with a Audigy 2 ZS. Works great now. :D

it cant be nothing to do with the game .. works awesome no sound skiping or anything here ...

iv got the dvd version and not had any probs what so ever , steam worked first time

i feal so sorry for the ppl who cant get the game working propley.
hope it all comes together for you guys

I never have issues with anything I have. Why can't I have these issue?! jk

Same with Steam, no issues at all. Not now, not even when Steam was beta.

I've got that bug too...I've downloaded new drivers for my audigy gamer, so I hope it gets better. If not I'm sure VALVe will come up with an update...right Gabe?

PCGamer played it at there Headquarters, they claimed to be the first, this means that no, they may of not known of the audi bug

putting the audio to low and dropping some of the graphics settings stopped my stutter problems. I had to drop the audio to low on CS:S as well because I was having stuttering problems there as well so I think its not to do with graphics and possibly only the audio. I haven't bothered trying to raise the graphics back up on HL2 yet though so I can't be sure if its just to do with audio or not. The thing that makes it strange is that it only stutters once in a while and runs smooth as silk otherwise. It's amazing how well it runs aside from the stutter. Doom 3 ran like crap unless I turned down everything to medium.

AthlonXP 2500+
768mb DDR333
Radeon 9800Pro
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Back