valve messed up big

Phirax said:
Well I had no problems with the game apart from a graphics glitch which was fixed by disabling AI in my Catalyst drivers..

However since steam updated the game, my frame-rate has had a massive drop, used to be 50-60, now its 10-25, and I now have those sound stutter and crackling issues..

Oh and on another note, Steam has stuffed up my Windows XP shutdown and startup. Removed Steam, it was fine again, re-installed steam/HL2 and it was fubard again..

Hopefully Valve/VU will refund my money for the game.

My System:
AMD Athlon 2800+ (Barton) @ 2.45Ghz
Asus A7V8X Rev 1.04 Mainboard
1024MB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Ram
HiS Radeon 9800 Pro IceQ 128MB @ 445/980
Philips Acoustic Sound Edge (QSound)
Sound Blaster Live 5.1 SE

So it isn't just me who's having problems with xp bootup shutdown then eh? Honestly though those who are interested in buying the game will and those who aren't will download a copy at the expense of on line mode, same as it is for every game now. Forcing shit like steam upon people just pisses everyone off to be honest. I've seen polls on steam on other gaming sites and the majority of gamers hate that crap. As a consumer I don't give a **** about your precious profits valve I just want my damn game without being inconvenienced with your bs.

Oh yea and then there is the (haha) distributing hl2 on torrent and warez sites with backdoor programs in the copy to collect downloaders information...real smart. Just how do I know the legit copies also don't have backdoors implemented pi? I don't really know for sure...that is the kind of thing that will end a company...I guess most people don't know about it though, lucky for valve.

I guess it's probably just best to remove my install and hope xp goes back to normal.

Wow, you really are a conspiracy theorist.

Honestly though those who are interested in buying the game will and those who aren't will download a copy at the expense of on line mode, same as it is for every game now. Forcing shit like steam upon people just pisses everyone off to be honest.

No, it pisses off the minority of people for whom it doesn't work correctly, and those that think it's their god-given right to warez games.

I've seen polls on steam on other gaming sites and the majority of gamers hate that crap.

Polls on websites don't actually mean anything. They're not an accurate source of information in the slightest. Feel free to link some of these polls to back your words up, though.

As a consumer I don't give a **** about your precious profits valve I just want my damn game without being inconvenienced with your bs.

So don't buy the game. That's your only recourse.

Oh yea and then there is the (haha) distributing hl2 on torrent and warez sites with backdoor programs in the copy to collect downloaders information...real smart.
Valve didn't release or distribute anything on torrent or warez sites at all. They just collected IPs from trackers (which anyone can do) and matched them up to Steam accounts.
Just how do I know the legit copies also don't have backdoors implemented pi? I don't really know for sure...that is the kind of thing that will end a company...I guess most people don't know about it though, lucky for valve.
So why would Valve need backdoors in Steam? If you have a working Steam account, then they already know if your copy is legit or not. You really ought to think about what you're saying, and check your facts before you say it.

palefire said:
Before you grace us with more of your genius, you really should educate yourself as to what the problem is. Hers' a good place to start.

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

Already read that page. It's is all information from pre-patch. Since the patch has been released, you have to start over again because the variables have changed. I'm here trying to help. Why are you here?

indeed i have a 1.6ghz (9600tx 128) that runs the game better than my 2.6ghz (9800xt 256mb) . so dont mock somebodies system mongo . its within the spec

Phirax said:
Oh and on another note, Steam has stuffed up my Windows XP shutdown and startup. Removed Steam, it was fine again, re-installed steam/HL2 and it was fubard again...

None77 said:
So it isn't just me who's having problems with xp bootup shutdown then eh?

I guess it's probably just best to remove my install and hope xp goes back to normal.

I had that too with XP loading at 1/4 speed. System Restore fixes it. I used that and went back to a couple of days ago. I never uninstalled Steam. It's only when HL2 crashes again that the problem comes back, then I System Restore it again.

So try System Restore and it might help fix XP.

TEDR said:
indeed i have a 1.6ghz (9600tx 128) that runs the game better than my 2.6ghz (9800xt 256mb) . so dont mock somebodies system mongo . its within the spec

Again, the point of the humor was to praise the scalability of the game people are bashing, not to mock systems. The person in question spent a couple posts bashing the game and calling it a rush job. I was trying to take the edge off and point out that it's tough to call a game a rush job when he can get 40fps on a system that probably doesn't perform much better with the original Half-Life. Valve has done a fantastic job creating a game that runs on almost any system. Give them a little slack if that huge system scope creates a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Hey Chopper my system is practically identical to yours and I can run the game perfectly.
The only difference may be a couple of things
I have A7N8X-Ultra(Motherboard), On board AC-97 sound, pny 5200-128 mb video, and I am running XP-Pro sp1.
Due to the high amount of Win 98 ppl having problems I think it might be that.

(Edit) Pretty much all N-Force2 motherboards are made off of the origional ASUS blueprint so I doubt it would be that.

Additionally all 5200 cards are are practically identical except for clock speeds.

I think that would leave either sound, OS, or 3rd party programs.

Back