Valve Premier Pack

R

razorbill

"Valve Premier Pack" .. hmm.. What is that ?

Is this "Valve Premier Pack" the first game pack you could pay on Steam ?
You all know Doug Lombardi said "no comment" when someone asked him about a Pay-to-Play system for HL2 multiplayer.
Now, please look at that.

Into your C:\Program Files\Steam\steam folder, you'll find : steamui_english.txt
Open it; read.
We quite easily understand this is the text displayed on Steam (menu, download, etc..).. But there is that :

"Steam_SubscribeIntro1" "You're about to subscribe to:"
"Steam_SubscribeIntro2" "This will cost $9.95 per month.

Since it is your first time subscribing to a game,
we need to ask you for some additional information."
"Steam_SubscribeIntroProductName" "Valve Premier Pack"
"Steam_SubscribeUserInfo" "Please enter your first and last names, exactly as they
appear on your credit card."
"Steam_EmailAddress" "Email address"
"Steam_EmailAddressVerification" "(for purchase confirmation and receipt)"
"Steam_FirstName" "First Name"
"Steam_LastName" "Last Name"
"Steam_SubscribeCardInfo" "Choose a credit card type, and enter the card number
and expiration date."
"Steam_CreditCardType" "Credit card type"
"Steam_CreditCardNumber" "Credit card number"
"Steam_CreditCardExpiration" "Card expiration"
"Steam_SubscribeBillingInfo" "Enter your address as it appears on your credit card
billing statement."
"Steam_Address" "Address"
"Steam_City" "City"
"Steam_StateOrProvince" "State or Province"
"Steam_Country" "Country"
"Steam_PostCode" "Postal (or Zip) Code"
"Steam_CountryOfResidence" "I currently live in the country selected above"
"Steam_SubscribeReviewInfo" "If there are any errors below, click 'Back' to fix them.\nOtherwise, click 'Purchase' to complete the transaction."
"Steam_ProductCostLabel" "Cost"
"Steam_TaxLabel" "Estimated tax"
"Steam_TotalLabel" "Total"
"Steam_ProcessingSubscriptionInfo" "Processing your subscription.
This should take less than a minute."
"Steam_SubscribeCompleteInfo" "Thank you! Your subscription to the
Valve Premier Pack is complete.

In your Games list, you can now double click the
game to play (or right-click on the game's title and
select 'Play' in the menu.)"

OK, this is not actually used in Steam (there are translations for lot of other languages that Steam doesnt support).

(this doesnt prove the HL2 multiplayer pay-to-play system.. but it could be a Steam subscription for any Valve game)

Valve Premier Pack could be something you pay monthly for a few games. I mean, it's cheaper than buying a game.

You could pay $10 to try out a few games, and then you can buy any games you like.

It's kinda like having some demos, but not.

This doesn't say anything about Half Life 2 Multiplayer so we shouldn't worry.

Will be other games than Valve games available on Steam ?

I haven't seen it before either.

Also, I do think that Valve intends for third party games to be sold over Steam.

I hope it is pay-2-play. Just look at planetside.......you pay to play and there are no cheating 14 year old immature 1337 sp34k and flaming.
Cheats are going to ruin HL2 multiplayer, just give it a week after its released and it'll be back to square 1 like CS/HL1.

Originally posted by L33
I hope it is pay-2-play. Just look at planetside.......you pay to play and there are no cheating 14 year old immature 1337 sp34k and flaming.
Cheats are going to ruin HL2 multiplayer, just give it a week after its released and it'll be back to square 1 like CS/HL1.

That's what the constant updates from Steam that Doug Thingy mentioned. They can crack down on cheaters faster.

dude with steam they can already 'touch your bits' all the time, we don't need pay to play

I dunno, maybe the $10 will allow you to play ALL the Valve games without actually buying them. So, in theory, you could play them for 3 months and then close the account and it would only cost you $30. As opposed to buying them which would cost like $200.

for some reason i doubt that.

i mean, i see how its possible but i don't see how that would be very feasible.. wouldn't that mean, i could pay 10 bucks, and download the single player of all teh valve games and then discontinue and own 200 bucks worth of single player for 10 bucks?

you will not be able to play them without steam though. It's not like a regular install.

man, i don't like that at all. I'm not gonna buy my games off steam anyway.. i like owning the things i pay for, i want to have the hl2 box sitting next to my comp and the manual open under the monitor, i want the cd spinning in my drive. i want to fully install what i can on my comp. not download it as i go.

Steam prevents cheating. It has nothing to do with whether the players are paying for it or not. As long as all multiplayer is monitored through steam, cheating will be near impossible. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be very difficult.

People freak out too much. "Valve Premier Pack" is probably the name for all of the currently released Valve games (I suppose Gearbox and mods as well)

I assume people can pay this fee to play all of these games through steam rather than buying them. The only people who would be interested in this are people who have never played any of the Half-Life games. For only $9.95 they can play through Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Then, they can play some multiplayer too. Nobody is going to constantly subscribe to this. That's pointless. It's kinda of like renting it for a month.

If you want the multiplayer games forever, just pick up a used copy of HL and download all the mods. But $10 is pretty good for the single player ones considering the whole pack is maybe $30-40 in stores.

Valve isn't stupid. They know how important multiplayer is to the lifespan of their title.

Originally posted by Tyl3n0L
Someone e-mail gabe or erik or Doug

Too lazy to do it yourself? :p
Get off your lazy ass and do something yourself.. :)

Originally posted by razorbill
Im not sure this is old :/
didnt find it in this forum

Actually it was not posted on this FORUM, but on the STEAM FORUM. :)

Originally posted by Massif
Steam prevents cheating. It has nothing to do with whether the players are paying for it or not. As long as all multiplayer is monitored through steam, cheating will be near impossible. Not saying it's impossible, but it will be very difficult.

People freak out too much. "Valve Premier Pack" is probably the name for all of the currently released Valve games (I suppose Gearbox and mods as well)

I assume people can pay this fee to play all of these games through steam rather than buying them. The only people who would be interested in this are people who have never played any of the Half-Life games. For only $9.95 they can play through Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift. Then, they can play some multiplayer too. Nobody is going to constantly subscribe to this. That's pointless. It's kinda of like renting it for a month.

If you want the multiplayer games forever, just pick up a used copy of HL and download all the mods. But $10 is pretty good for the single player ones considering the whole pack is maybe $30-40 in stores.

I agree.

Think about it. Certain games are pay to play because they are run on PERSISTENT SERVERS and have PERSISTENT WORLDS. Half-Life and its sequel don't have persistent worlds; multiplayer rounds restart every time the map ends and the server loads a new map/round. These servers are run by the COMMUNITY, not the company itself. Therefore, HL2 has no reason to be a pay to play game. Stop getting your panties in a freaking bunch. Just because HL2 will utilize Steam technology doesn't mean it is going to have a monthly fee. When Steam goes public, will CS:CZ have a monthly fee? No, it won't. So why should HL2 have one?

but see.. the fact is, that you do not know. and that it is possible.

Another possibility on the whole "Pay-for-play" idea may in fact be a "Pay-to-serve" plan. My take on it, is that they may have implemented a system in Steam just like EA recently came out with for renting servers. Maybe it's all built into Steam so that you could rent a server, for so much a month and let your clan practice on it. Anyone think this is too far fetched?

If they implamented any kind of P2P system for multiplayer half life, it WILL destory the MOD community... there is NO arguing that. After a year, the HL2 multiplayer community will be close to dead. Guarenteed. We know this... Valve knows this. And Valve is'nt dumb. :borg:

Hmm how about instead they charge 5c everytime someone buys an AWP in CS. They could make like $1,000,000 in just a couple of days.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Hmm how about instead they charge 5c everytime someone buys an AWP in CS. They could make like $1,000,000 in just a couple of days.

LMAO. How true! :flame: Damn Awp Whores :D

Old Steam beta users will remember that "Valve Premiere Pack" was the terminology for HL and all the available mods. Chances are if you buy HL via Steam you will buy the "Valve Premiere Pack" and get HL+Mods. But most of us will get it once we enter our valid HL CDKey :)

Originally posted by Massif
Steam prevents cheating. It has nothing to do with whether the players are paying for it or not.

Actually no, Steam has nothing to do with cheating in its purest form, the fact it can be used to prevent cheating is just an extra bonus. And it DOES have everything to do with whether or not a particular user payed for the game. If you don't pay for the software, you don't get it through Steam. It's a content delivery system. Chances are most content is going to cost money, and therefore it must keep track if you payed and are allowed access to the server.

I don't think HL2 multiplayer is going to be a monthly fee, but options for such a service are there. Mind you, Steam technology could be licenced to other developers for their own games.

The premier would be this i guess...

Anygames developed by valve would be included in the premier pack.
So..

You buy HL2
you get any new games that will be coming out
cs:cz
tf2
dod2
NS2
(its pretty obvious at somepoint these games will go retail)

If you add it up it will work out in the long run for $9.95 a month.

omg. If Valve made you pay to play a normal FPS watch the sales go buy buy.

If that happened I would never pay personally. I don't care if it's freaken HL2. No way they will do that. Unless the multiplayer is a MMORPG and they need to update the servers all of the time and stuff. Chances of that is very very slim.

"Valve Premier Pack" wouldnt that mean it is like a upgrade? A free servive, or you can UPGRADE to the Premier Pack? I dont think valve would make us pay.

Originally posted by Slash

Actually no, Steam has nothing to do with cheating in its purest form, the fact it can be used to prevent cheating is just an extra bonus. And it DOES have everything to do with whether or not a particular user payed for the game. If you don't pay for the software, you don't get it through Steam. It's a content delivery system. Chances are most content is going to cost money, and therefore it must keep track if you payed and are allowed access to the server.

I don't think HL2 multiplayer is going to be a monthly fee, but options for such a service are there. Mind you, Steam technology could be licenced to other developers for their own games.

Oops, what I meant was that cheat prevention has nothing to do with whether the users pay or not.

MODS WILL COST MONEY VIA STEAM IF YOU JUST HAVE A KEY FOR HL AND NOT OFFICIAL ONES FOR DOD/CS/TFC AHHHH WTF!!?!??!?!

I DIDNT BUY OFFICIAL TFC/CS/DOD

so now i gota pay for em to play em on steam -starts riot-

Calm down.. lol.. Steam is fine they know what they're doing. It will be very painless. Next patch will convert everyone to Steam and they will make it so your HL expeience will be exactly like it used to be, except enhanced.

jeebus.....you will not have to pay for multiplayer guys....thats rediculuos.....relax

Back