Valve releasing HL:S / CS:S before HL2???

SLH

Reaction score
Just wondering, but these games aren't HL2, and as such do you think it'd be possible for valve to release them before VU release HL2 and not be in breach of contract?

I'm thinking no, as it's probably in the contract somewhere that valve must never release anything without VU saying so. However it's an interesting thought.....

If youre reading valve - "Go on.... release 'em, just to see the look on VU's face." :D

Here's hoping.

EDIT: Sorry if you think this should be in a different forum or an already existant thread, but i thought it was different enough to be a new thread, and relevent to HL2 fans so i put it here. :)

I was thinking a similar thing about Day of Defeat.

Day of Defeat was published by Activision so there's no contract with Vivendi and that game. So if Vivendi want to screw Valve with the 6 month thing i suppose Valve could easily release something like DoD:S to make a little bit of $$ on the side.

If they did realase CS:S and HL:S before HL2 I will go outside of my house and let wolves eat my limbs... no offence if any were created

-=In dumber words=- No. I dont think the other mods and such will be realeased before the actual game. Spooky if it did though :rolleyes:

so by holding up hl2 then we dont get Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines right?

Hey, it was only a suggestion, which i myself don't believe.
I only posted because i thought it was an interesting talking point.

sadman said:
so by holding up hl2 then we dont get Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines right?
Correct - since HL2 has to be the first game on source released, although valve might let them release it (since it's in their contract with valve) if HL2 is delayed a lot.

LoL!! Then Troika/Activision can sue Vivendi!!

Wow! This could end up as the biggest mess of all time.

*as a note Bloodlines EB date has been pushed back from 26th October to 8th of November and it's assumed it can't be released before HAlf-Life 2*

That would be quite amusing to see Troika go for Vivendi's neck.

I've always like Vivendi... Until recently. They seem to be doing some awesomly weird stuff.

kaellinn18 said:
Is VU publishing this? Or is it someone else?

Does it really matter? They're bound to a contract on the Source Engine with VALVe, no matter who's publising.

Dead-Inside said:
Does it really matter? They're bound to a contract on the Source Engine with VALVe, no matter who's publising.

Yes, it does matter. VU is in extreme financial shit. If they hold back HL2 to "piss Valve off" as someone put it, then they also hold back another possible blockbuster title (if they are publishing it), thereby shooting themselves in both the foot and the dick.

i just wish valve would give us the SDK and a small demo. argh!

SLH said:
Just wondering, but these games aren't HL2, and as such do you think it'd be possible for valve to release them before VU release HL2 and not be in breach of contract?

I'm thinking no, as it's probably in the contract somewhere that valve must never release anything without VU saying so. However it's an interesting thought.....

If youre reading valve - "Go on.... release 'em, just to see the look on VU's face." :D

Here's hoping.
Doesn't sound so far-fetched now does it?? :D

Mr-Fusion said:
lol

They're getting ideas from us....
Here's another idea valve - how about giving all members of HL2.net with 1000 or more posts a free copy of HL2. :D:D:D :rolleyes:

hi_ted said:
That would be quite amusing to see Troika go for Vivendi's neck.

Was that intended to be a Vampire joke?

Oh, and yeah, it'd be great fun to see everyone vs. Vivendi.

kaellinn18 said:
Yes, it does matter. VU is in extreme financial shit. If they hold back HL2 to "piss Valve off" as someone put it, then they also hold back another possible blockbuster title (if they are publishing it), thereby shooting themselves in both the foot and the dick.

Vampire: Bloodlines is being published by Activision. Rather than Troika going after VU, Activision may well step in if the release of HL2 (and hence their own title) is delayed unnecessarily.

So this is the BIG surprise Valve had in store for us :bounce: im going for Gold with out a doubt......this way valve will get all the money hehehe nice 1 :cheese:

I think that's a good way to screw over VU! Haha. Could be that they forgot to include hl1:s and cs:s in their contracts.

bwahahaaa

SLH said:
Here's another idea valve - how about giving all members of HL2.net with 1000 or more posts a free copy of HL2. :D:D:D :rolleyes:
Yes, and you must have been registered here for a whole year (to prevent people from registering and spamming 1,000 posts in a month or two). :E

CS: Source WILL be released as soon as the packs are available. Next week.

HL: Source will not.

I'm seriously pissed if they are releasing CS:S on steam before they release HL2.

Yay, let's punish the people who only want a retail box version.

OCybrManO said:
Yes, and you must have been registered here for a whole year (to prevent people from registering and spamming 1,000 posts in a month or two). :E
Sounds good to me :E

Neutrino said:
I'm seriously pissed if they are releasing CS:S on steam before they release HL2.

Or we could go with your plan, let VU sit on a finished game for 6 months and screw Valve over.

Good work.

Neutrino said:
This was an awsome move by VALVe that will almost certainly force VU to publish HL2 as soon as possible. Who cares about who gets to play CS:S first,. its just CS:S. I'm already playing it anyways. HL2 might not have seen the light of day in 2004 if not for this. Thats the important thing here.

btw, SLH,.

Good call.
When I read this I didnt think it would ever happen,.

Fixed said:
Or we could go with your plan, let VU sit on a finished game for 6 months and screw Valve over.

Good work.

Where has it ever been said that VU was going to sit on the game for six months? It was only said that they had the ability to do that.

Frankly, I'm tired of the legal games and I'm tired of steam.

All I want it a retail box like every other game on the market.

Well hopefully this will give VUG the kick up th arse they need they don't want all the people who are undecided on retail or steam suddenly going for steam just to get CS:S early.

Back