Valve Site Slipup?

Doofus

Reaction score
I was trying to get more information on what Gabe Newell actually does at Valve (sparked from another thread here) and after reading his description with no real news, I read the statement at the top of the page...

about the valve team

Members of the Valve staff come from numerous places around the globe, including Florida, Virginia, California, Washington, New York, and the countries of Texas, England, and Australia. They collectively define sunlight as "that which makes a computer monitor difficult to see" and free time as "when we get to play games instead of make them."

Now... I consider myself an educated man... But since when was Texas its own country? Probably just a slipup, but I dunno what whoever typed that was thinking... :E

a in-house joke maybe? they like doing those hehe

it's a joke... like people in texas, and lots of people in the US are like "weird country, texas is..." just a joke :)

As far as I know Texas isn't technically a state, or can leave the union at any time if it chooses. Obviously it would be a bad idea to do so, but I guess Texans like to think that they are in a separate country, usually as a joke.

Texas was admitted to the Union; it's a state. It flies its state flag under the flag of the union like any other state.

Doofus said:
Now... I consider myself an educated man... But since when was Texas its own country? Probably just a slipup, but I dunno what whoever typed that was thinking... :E
The South shall rise again...

If you read the Valve website, you'll notice that some of the text is quite humourous. I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional.

alan8325 said:
As far as I know Texas isn't technically a state, or can leave the union at any time if it chooses. Obviously it would be a bad idea to do so, but I guess Texans like to think that they are in a separate country, usually as a joke.

True. :cool:

I thought you Brits were under the impression that the United States were still just colonies. j/k

And by the way, any state CAN leave the union if they choose - It's called seceding, and it's what caused the American Civil War. But Texas is every bit as much a state as any other, they just like to think of themselves as a different country figuratively, as they have a lot of culture that can't be found elsewhere in the US. And the fact that the state is bigger than most European countries doesn't help.

Eon Blue said:
Texas was admitted to the Union; it's a state. It flies its state flag under the flag of the union like any other state.

You are incorrect. Texas is the only state that can fly its flag at equal height as the US flag.

Actually, no, any state can fly it's flag at the same height according to the federal flag code.

Texas was it's own republic/country from 1836 to 1845...

Most Texans feel that we are a seperate country. I don't think any other populace has the pride in their state that Texas does.

"The stars at night, are big and bright..."

"Deep in the heart of Texas!"

alan8325 said:

hooray for our public education system.

and good luck if they wanted to leave anyways, last time a few states tried to leave it didn't turn out so well for them... :thumbs:

nerdcorerocks said:
hooray for our public education system.

and good luck if they wanted to leave anyways, last time a few states tried to leave it didn't turn out so well for them... :thumbs:

They tried. Remember the "Republic of Texas" trying to reunite and claim that Texas was annexed illegally?

Ended in a Federal sting operation.

Lone Star Republic = Texas

highly unlikely they will be able to annex on their own free will now that the union will just strike down anybody who tries.

isn't anyone at Valve from the province of Vermont, Canada?

isnt bush from some eastern state, he just moved to texas in the 70's?

Gergor said:
I thought you Brits were under the impression that the United States were still just colonies. j/k

Nah you the good ole US of A arnt colonies anymore... ...

Although I am curious as to what would of happened had you remained so... considering how Hong Kong flurished?

I mean im sure there is negative points... but dont believe everything Mel Gibson tells you :p

Andy018 said:
Although I am curious as to what would of happened had you remained so... considering how Hong Kong flurished?

Look, sure we shot guns at each other back in the day and longed to see each other dead but can't we get back to being buddies?

I even took up drinking tea again. :p

Well in the words of Jerry Maguire... I love *American* people.

Personally... I just think you elected an idiot...well not an idiot he got elected afterall... but I just think hes profoundly... well... thick

So yeah I love all you people... just not your president and cabinet

I wouldn't say that the US, England and Austraila is "all over the globe" ;)

Ahh but at one point we did own... well pretty much everywhere basically!... not our finest hour as we abused the power we had... but... we basically kicked ass world wide :)

Technicality Bush wasn't elected. The majority voted for Gore. I think the surpreme court decided something that made Bush the winner. Oh well. So much for elections. I guess our vote doesn't count.

NetWarriorDan said:
Technicality Bush wasn't elected. The majority voted for Gore. I think the surpreme court decided something that made Bush the winner. Oh well. So much for elections. I guess our vote doesn't count.

Oh boy, I hope most Americans know what the electoral college is.

Fact of the matter is that your vote DOES count towards the election held in your state/territory. When a state is one by one side or the other, they get to select an allotted number of voters to take place in the electoral college vote. These selected voters could in theory vote against the party, but being picked by the party, the chances are unrealistic.

the larger the state population, the more votes generally. California and Florida (30 something right?) mave much more than Iowa, which has 7 i think.

You need a certain number of electoral votes to win, and more than the next person.

So your vote does count. It's like 50 seperate elections

EDIT: The supreme court was deciding whether or not to have ANOTHER recount of the votes in Florida, which would have swung the electoral votes in Gore's favor if he had won Florida. Which would make him president. But there already multiple counts, and the court decided not to have another. :/

and from what I had read, had they recounted the counties Gore requested then Bush would have won Florida, but if they recounted the entire state Gore would have won.

Back