Valve take action against piracy

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
As reported in this thread on the Steampowered forums, Valve have started shutting down Steam accounts that have used a CD key exploit or an a fraudulent credit card number to illegally obtain Valve's games.

Valve 1 - 0 pirates

Remember kids - buy your games :)

Oh, and for the person on the Steampowered forums that tried to wriggle out of it :-

pwned.jpg

This has made me incredibly happy. Serves them right IMO.

MUHAHAHAHAHA....

That's awesome!! The nerve some people have.

w00t, die piraters! I didn't know they logged the CD keys you've tried. o_O

I hope they email their ISP and get their internet account shutdown too.

That is so funny =] I started following that topic because I was secretly hoping Valve would have screwed again but guess it's funny this way around too ;p

I bought my CZ key off eBay so it could have been generated dodgily (I didn't realise it was possible to get hold of a key dodgily) so I think I may be vulnerable to get my account shut down :(

lePobz said:
I bought my CZ key off eBay so it could have been generated dodgily (I didn't realise it was possible to get hold of a key dodgily) so I think I may be vulnerable to get my account shut down :(
If it's not already shut down, it won't be.

Once I tried to put my HL generations CD key in off the back of the opposing force box a couple of times, does this mean I will be banned?

Cybernoid said:
Who cares, Steam still sucks.

How about you keep your shitty attitude out of a happy thread? eh?

This is definantly good news, I can't wait to get home and read some more...damn work ;(

pawned? what does pwned mean? pawn shop owner? you own a pawn shop?!

lol wtf omg gg imo!!!!111!!

\o/
pwn = own deliberately misspelled like many 1337 kids do it.

wooho! banning illegal keys and atempts to use a fradualant creditcard!

hmmm... does this mean that valve will be focusing on Hackers more than the real people? hope not... they haven't said anyhting about the preload which was suppose to be monday!
oldfaq

I made 2 accounts with 1 cd key will they close 1 of the accounts? i only use 1 of those accounts.

Wow, I think I may have helped with this.
On tuesday I sent a detailed email to Gabe showing how people could register with fake CD keys and pay using fake Mastercard numbers.
Then yesterday I just get a simple email from Gabe, no subject line just this:
fixed, thanks.

Maybe I helped :D

edit: the link where the information was to do this was also removed.

oldfaq said:
hmmm... does this mean that valve will be focusing on Hackers more than the real people? hope not... they haven't said anyhting about the preload which was suppose to be monday!
oldfaq
I'd much rather delay the preload for a bit (which doesn't matter when we get it anyway) and conectrate bringing down the people and sites that create, support and link to sites that are using the stolen build and generally doing other activities that are against the law to be honest.

I got the unscratched ATI HL2 + CS:S coupon from ebay for 8 dollars, beat that suckers.

All I can say, is that this lightened up a really boring day for me.
Valve, you just keep on giving me a better life :E

Back