Valves Horror potential?

Reaction score
I'm sure there has been a thread based on this before, but I thought it right to bring it up again. Valves potential for making a violent/ horror based game or level is phenominal. With HL2, if they could build up the scary/shocking atmosphere with Ravenholm, then imagine what they could do with a game, or even in HL3. I find it amazing how they have made so many themes in HL2 and pummeled them to the top of their league. What are you views on valves potential (Horror?) ?

I'd like to see Doom 3 converted to Source with better model animation, Doom 3 and RoE has to be THE scariest game I've ever played. Play it at night with maybe 1 light or no lights and headphones and then you get the full effect. But yes, Ravenholm was a little creepy too because of the fast zombies.

gweedodogg69 said:
I'd like to see Doom 3 converted to Source with better model animation, Doom 3 and RoE has to be THE scariest game I've ever played. Play it at night with maybe 1 light or no lights and headphones and then you get the full effect. But yes, Ravenholm was a little creepy too because of the fast zombies.

That'd be a waste of time. Doom 3 doesn't deserve the time and energy it would take to convert it to the Source engine. However System Shock 2:Source would make me crap my pants.

15357 said:
source > Doom 3 :p

And thus, the thread is derailed...

Edit: btw, although I think Valve are capable of making a great horror game, there's more than enough on the market already imo, what with Doom3, 'Prey', FEAR and so on. The strength of HL2 is its diversity - I wouldn't want to play a whole game of Ravensholm tbh.

jet jaguar said:
That'd be a waste of time. Doom 3 doesn't deserve the time and energy it would take to convert it to the Source engine. However System Shock 2:Source would make me crap my pants.

Hostile planet....

15357 said:
source > Doom 3 :p

Rubbish! I'd say at least they were equal in different ways, with different strengths and weaknesses - but still equal to each other.

Foebane said:
Rubbish! I'd say at least they were equal in different ways, with different strengths and weaknesses - but still equal to each other.
Somehow I expected a reply from you on that sentence :p

But you're right, the Doom³ engine doesn't suck. The game does :hmph: ;)

I agree. They are both great engines. I just wish that the people who are licenseing the Doom 3 engine would be a little more imaginative with it. Case(s) in point are Prey and Quake 4: The monsters and environments look all too similar to Doom 3's. Disappointing, especially given what that engine is capable of.

I finally got a PC that can handle its power and I am much more impressed with it now that I see it running somewhere near where it should be running. I think that the games developed with it in the coming years will be much more impressive from a creative standpoint.

And yes, Source does horror(and everything else) very well, but I agree with Noobulon in not wanting an entire game of Ravenholm. Even Resident Evil had its diversity...

Originally Posted by Noobulon

The strength of HL2 is its diversity - I wouldn't want to play a whole game of Ravensholm tbh.

I don't think many people would want a whole game on Ravenholm or its atmosphere, but if they can make one level as good as Doom 3s whole game... well they must have a gift (Valve).

Anyone play the ocean hotel in vampires:bloodlines ? That was in source and it was scary as hell, but little girls in abandoned places creep me out so it could just be me. Im not usually scared at video games, doom 3 didn't scare me at all after the first monster or two.

I think valve could make a great horror game using source. They have showed they are pretty good at that kind of thing with half life 2.

Also, I agree that system shock 2 in source would be the most awsome and scary thing ever.

there both great engies source has the nice physics but d3 engine has the pretty dynamic shadows <3 lol

source with dynamic lighting and shadow would make me cream my pants

A HL spinoff with only fighting zombies!
This is as good a time as any to post muy spoof song:
One (Zombie)

I Can't Remember Anything
Can't Tell If this Is True or Dream
Deep down Inside I Feel to Scream
this Terrible Silence Stops Me

Now That the crab Is Through with Me
I'm Waking up I Can Not See
That There Is Not Much Left of Me
Nothing Is Real but Pain Now

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me

Back in the crab its Much Too Real
in Pumps Life That I must Feel
but Can't Look Forward to Reveal
Look to the Time When I'll Live

Fed Through the beak That Sticks in Me
Just like a Combine Novelty
Tied to a crab That Make Me Be
Cut this Life off from Me

Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God,wake Me
Now the World Is Gone I'm Just One
Oh God,help Me Hold My Breath as I Wish for Death
Oh Please God Help Me

Darkness Imprisoning Me
All That I See
Absolute Horror
I Cannot Live
I Cannot Die
Trapped in Myself
Body My Holding Cell

Headcrab Has Taken My Sight
Taken My Speech
Taken My Hearing
Taken My Arms
Taken My Legs
Taken My Soul
Left Me with Life in Hell

A horror game would be good for Valve to make after the whole Half-Life franchise is done with...

Source can't handle lighting and shadows like Doom 3 engine can. Sure, hdbloom looks nice, but it takes much more to run that then it does Doom 3.

Nice spoof of One, ríomhaire.. I can really picture a fast zombie singing that...

And now I'm stuck with this image in my brain... Oh god.. :p

Foebane said:
Why do you bother hanging around this forum if you don't like anything to do with Half-Life 2, Valve or anything else?

Remaking System Shock 2 in source would be the greatest thing ever, but the team who tried doing that with the Doom3 engine got a letter telling them they had to stop or they'd be sued :(

Sparta said:
Why do you bother hanging around this forum if you don't like anything to do with Half-Life 2, Valve or anything else?

in his defense, he didn't say he didn't like Half Life2.
he said both engines the games run on are equal in different ways.
thats not such a bad statement...it surely doesn't show the fanboy-ism we see here more often then not.

Sparta said:

It's because I'm a great fan of Half-Life AND Valve, Smartarse. Did I say I didn't like Valve? NO!

froghawk said:
Remaking System Shock 2 in source would be the greatest thing ever, but the team who tried doing that with the Doom3 engine got a letter telling them they had to stop or they'd be sued :(

http://www.hostile-planet.com/

Watch the videos, you will see what I mean.

Foebane said:
It's because I'm a great fan of Half-Life AND Valve, Smartarse. Did I say I didn't like Valve? NO!
Yeah fair enough. I'll admit when i'm wrong and i was wrong then. At the time of your post i just remember that you were the guy who used to go around and just post about how you hated Half-Life 2 even though it wasn't related to the topic at all (Which used to be alot of your posts) But you've stopped that now so its fine. I've got no beefs with someone hating HL2 but i just dont like trolls. But your not one, so its all cool. My bad.

I'm wondering if Valve is going to remake Prospero, the game they were going to make before Half-Life.

to let u guys know.. In Aftermath.. You will be using ur Flash light in a dark tunnel while Alyx is with u.. So horror potential.. :p

Back