Very early WIP of gm_dev_woodland

polly-pocket

Reaction score
This is a map with lots of little wooden huts in a forrest, a woodland village. I have only made one little cottage at the moment but your views anyway?

Screenshots:

And a nice comedy pic of a big AI war I created!

I know it is a very early wip but could you still tell me your views before I put some effort into something people think wont work or get anywere!

Critism?

~thankyou!

Front porch is awfully thin + supports look funny.

Ok, I will make it bigger although it may be just the angle because ingame you can walk pas tthe supports. But I will widen it anyway. Thanks!

Front porch is awfully thin + supports look funny.

Agreed. And the stairs seem a bit steep.

However I am liking the brushwork indoors. Nice curves and detailed brushes, although the lighitng seems a bit off IMO.

What I wanna know is how you are going to seal this map off to keep the players in this map and still looking good. I remember a map named mysticforest or something and when you ran too far your screen faded and when it faded back in you were in a pond in the middle of the map. Maybe something like that?

Agreed. And the stairs seem a bit steep.

However I am liking the brushwork indoors. Nice curves and detailed brushes, although the lighitng seems a bit off IMO.

What I wanna know is how you are going to seal this map off to keep the players in this map and still looking good. I remember a map named mysticforest or something and when you ran too far your screen faded and when it faded back in you were in a pond in the middle of the map. Maybe something like that?

That was called mystic forest and sounded as if it is magic and wants to keep you in there for ever. So I don't want a cheesey effect although that did sound a cool map. I want this to be more realistic, The trees will get closer and closer. The forest to think and I will have a 3D skybox of loads of trees and on some sides cliffs, also I will have thick fog and you wont be able to see as clearly.

Im debating if I should keep it dev or texture it properly, your views?

Properly.

Dev is overrated. Sometimes it looks cool but usually its just a bad excuse for not wanting/being able to/having the energy to texture something properly. Take your pick as to which one applies to you :p

Dev is useful for creating architect and test your map to resize brushes to your liking.

That's all really.

Whew! There's enough bloom in there to kill a horse. Not that that's bad or anything. I'm not a big horse fan anyway.

I think it looks pretty good, but those big supports look funny next to the small door. Just nitpickin'.

Whew! There's enough bloom in there to kill a horse. Not that that's bad or anything. I'm not a big horse fan anyway.

I think it looks pretty good, but those big supports look funny next to the small door. Just nitpickin'.

They look blocky acording to some forums so Im going to change them to cylinders although I don't think woodland villages would be that bothered about blocky supports but I will change it anyway :)

EDIT:

Oh and sorry about the bloom, I must of messed with the effects :D

You lighting is off...

Its way way too bright and it seems to be coming not from the lights in your map but from random spots. And the lights seem a bit too yellow in some places. And IMO those pillars should go since they make me(architecture-wise, not texture-wise) think of a big american courthouse or something but not a forrest hut. Maybe if you made them a lot thinner and max 128 units high I'd let you keep them...

And overall this needs detail but I'm thinking that since this is WIP is probably not a top priority ATM.

You lighting is off...

Its way way too bright and it seems to be coming not from the lights in your map but from random spots. And the lights seem a bit too yellow in some places. And IMO those pillars should go since they make me(architecture-wise, not texture-wise) think of a big american courthouse or something but not a forrest hut. Maybe if you made them a lot thinner and max 128 units high I'd let you keep them...

And overall this needs detail but I'm thinking that since this is WIP is probably not a top priority ATM.

Yeh I will add decals and more probs later. Im just concirned about the brush work first. And I am going to change the pillars to thiner cylinders instead. And yes I need to align the lights with the props.

Thanks for comments!

P.S (I can have my pillars if I want :LOL: hehehe)

EDIT:

Oh yeh I see what you mean now, they really are thick! I will make them much thinner! Thanks for noticing mate!

Thats what you think :p

You have not even started to grasp my power over brushes. If they are mine or not makes no difference. They obey me.

In one week i stop mapping and then all brushes will be on strike. Be warned.

Thats what you think :p

You have not even started to grasp my power over brushes. If they are mine or not makes no difference. They obey me.

In one week i stop mapping and then all brushes will be on strike. Be warned.

hehe,

I have mad ethen thin cylinder type pillars now. They don't look silly anymore!

Don't worry. He is just talking out his ass.

Yh well I had a break of Mappign and pciked it up again ... this was dead but I have revived it :)

I just need to fix this one error then I can screenshot it.

Edit:

SCREENSHOT UPDATES:

*****THAT'S ALL FOR NOW .... ITS NEAR COMPLETION By The Way ... so if yo uwant me to add mroe of somethign or put more detail in certain areas pelase tell me now!!!!!******

In that there's an inch of a brick at the top of it. Fix the texture.

Other than that, it's good - some edge optimizing and light fixing outside could do good though.

In that there's an inch of a brick at the top of it. Fix the texture.

Other than that, it's good - some edge optimizing and light fixing outside could do good though.

You mean to sort out the light_environment?

But its a sunset and the pitch is -30 :( ... oh well, guess it gonan have to be mid day. Or sunrise.

Back