Video Card, On Which Hl2 Vid Demos Ran On

Max_Payne

Spy
Reaction score
i have heard some mix speculation on what they were running when filming the hl2 demos. Anybody know what ghraphics card valve used ... (uses) lol im guessing it was a 9600 ati or better.... shout out to me peeps..

PEACE

Mike

I'm not so sure if the E3 presentation was running on a 9800 XT anymore, but here's the article:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/512/512580p1.html
Enough with all that though, let's get to the real reason you're here: to read about how the game plays. I booted up the 3.4GHz Radeon 9800XT equipped machine and waded into Half-Life 2. I started up the demo and was told that the first scene I would be playing was about 10 minutes into the game, after a brief introduction by our old friend the G-Man.

So, the test machines that the gaming press were using at their trip to VALVe were on 9800 XTs.

Gabe has/had a 9800 Pro at home, so that's what I have.

Dude, as both ATI and Nvidia send them free versions of every card, and as Gabe is a multi millionaire, you can expect him to have whatever the best card available is at any time.

intersting how much fps hl2 will have with the x800xt ..
close to the 80-100

deathryuu said:
bow to the geforce 2 mx200 32mb pci sitting in my cabinet.

Bow to my Diamond Viper 2MB video card sitting next to me!

Dready said:
intersting how much fps hl2 will have with the x800xt ..
close to the 80-100

Stolen build benchmarks aren't representitive of the final product's real world performance

alright hypothetically speaking, if i had a *geforce fx 5200* and uh...my brother had a *ati 9200*, considering that the 5200 has dx9 support while the 9200 only has dx8 support, which would run better on a ati card based game like hl2, which is highly supported by dx9?

Sai said:
alright hypothetically speaking, if i had a *geforce fx 5200* and uh...my brother had a *ati 9200*, considering that the 5200 has dx9 support while the 9200 only has dx8 support, which would run better on a ati card based game like hl2, which is highly supported by dx9?

I'd say the FX 5200 would be faster overall, it just may not run DX9 properly

Sai said:

For optimum hl2 performance you need:

That is;
Res: 1024x768
Dx 9 mode
everything high.

Minimum: 9600 xt (around 40 fps)

Maximum: anything goes - but I'd say x800xt (very very very good FPS)

Ati 9200 is still better than fx 5200 - you can play with both but on dx 8 mode.

Shuzer said:
I'd say the FX 5200 would be faster overall, it just may not run DX9 properly

Trust me, shuzer I had that card and anything beats it - even a radeon 9000

lans said:
Ati 9200 is still better than fx 5200 - you can play with both but on dx 8 mode.

but wouldn't playing hl2 on the 5200 with dx9 be better than playing it on the 9200 on dx8?

Sai said:
but wouldn't playing hl2 on the 5200 with dx9 be better than playing it on the 9200 on dx8?

It would give you only 5- 10 fps as said by gabe, so you'd have to play it in dx8 mode anyway.

lans said:
It would give you only 5- 10 fps as said by gabe, so you'd have to play it in dx8 mode anyway.

never mind, i found the next best thing

Sai said:
that article is kind of outdated b/c it was sept. of last year and nvidia has new drivers out

Drivers can improve performance, but they can't change a card's architecture..

For the benefit of the doubt, I'll say the game will run 10-15 FPS in DX9 :)

would the x800xt with 1 gig of ram and a fx-53 run HL2 at MAX settings on the HIGHEST resolution with at least 80 fps?

kidrock450 said:
would the x800xt with 1 gig of ram and a fx-53 run HL2 at MAX settings on the HIGHEST resolution with at least 80 fps?

Depends what you mean by "HIGHEST RESOLUTION," as it depends on the monitor.

There's a very good chance the game will run pretty well at extremely high resolutions (let's say 1600x1200), but if you bump that up to say.. 2048x1536, you'll see a huge hit in performance. As you up resolutions, the more the video card has to draw, reducing performance.
From most benchmarks I've seen, you see the biggest hit going past 1600x1200 (in any game)

No one really knows the numbers (except VALVe), but I'm sure you'll be able to run HL2 at silky smooth framerates even at 1600x1200

Back