Video Card Prices And Numbers - Are you getting what your paying for???

Matrix

Reaction score
Ok everyone i been doing a little homework and some of you are going to be a little surprised and happy, all you nivdia owners like me who are upset my the recent benchmark results might find this kind of cool...

So basically we know right now that the best card for ati is the 9800 pro 256 mb....

well I got some stats off a web site with prices (canadian dollars) and it seems your paying like 300$ more then the 9600 just for a few little things.. let me demonstrate

oh yes and I almost forgot the ti4600 which is expensive, is only 650 mhz clock speed while the ati 9600 pro is like 600 and half the price! and calculates 170 mil polygons a second!

while the 9800 pro is only 700 mhz. so your paying so much money because the 9800 calculates over 300 million polygons a second and has the extra 100 mhz ( which isn't noticable just to remind you all )

so guys I did my homework and the 256 mb on the 9800 doesn't do much for you, I think its just for the look that its 256 mb to get people to buy it.... here is a few card stats you all should see.......in my opinion though the 9600 pro is has an AMAZING price for good quality. maybe in a week or 2 after I get hl 2 ill go buy it.

here are the stats ( sorry I stalled :))

Geforce 4 ti4600 128 mb

136 Million Vertices/Sec ( polygons a second )
650 mhz ( clock speed )*mhz is not a huge deal look at the 9800 pro its only got 700 mhz )
fill rate 4.8 billion
memory : 128mb
Price:$429.99 ( canadian )
===================================
Ati radeon 9600 pro 128 mb
Fill Rate 1.6 Gigapixels/Sec
clock speed 600 mhz
175 million polygons a second
memory: 128 mb
Price: $269-279.99 ( CDN. )
* WHAT A PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR BETTER PREFORMANCE!
====================================
ati radeon 9800 pro * 128 mb *
Fill Rate 3.04 Gigapixels/Second
clock speed 680 mhz
380 million polygons a second
128 mb memory

Price : $549.99 ( cdn )
====================================
Ati Radeon 9800 pro * 256 mb *
clock speed 700 mhz
Number of Polygons Per Second 380 Million
Fill Rate 3.04 Gigapixels/Second
memory : 256 mb

Price : *GASP* $749.99 (cdn)

COnclusion: while the 9800 pro is the best its not worht the price, when the price drops it will be on top but for now thats too expensive. my choice is the 9600 pro for 279.99 great value for price and better quality, then the ti4600 which is doubled the price! So from now on im doing my tech homework before i go and buy shit for my computer.

If any of you have anything to add it would be appreciated thanks.

it's not all about the clockspeeds, it's about HOW the card calculates all stuff etc.

so ATi still leads :)

yea exactly the ti4600 is like doubled the price when it doesnt even calculate as much as the 9600 pro which is half the price. ati is playing the market smart ill tell ya that.

dude, anyoen who buys the 256 is a moron. it's been established that the 256 doesn't yield more than a frame or two with today's (and coming soon) games.

he nice! well i didn't shop around for the price i was just looking at the tech stats on the site and pur the price it said on the site.. ill see if i can find a better price ill reply in a bit.

Look man they give the extra 128MB because they know that your going to enable AA+FSAA on higher res, for that reason you need an extra bandwidth to make your fps high, low memory+everything on =low fps

more memory= extra fps + everything is on

moreover 9800pro with 256 cost in the uk, £370 that is $440.

$165.99 ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128 Meg DDR

holy shiaaaaaaat thats it after hl 2 is out if this bench mark shit is true im seeling the damn geforce and buying the 9600 pro.

Where the hell did you get that price for the Ti4600? That's ridiculous, I calculated the amount of euro's (150-175 euro's for a Ti4600) to canadian dollars and its about 250 can. dollar, max 300.

136 Million Vertices/Sec ( polygons a second )

Now that's bullshit too, vertices are the corners of polygons or tri's, you can't compare it with polygons.

Further more, the 9600 pro has a huge performance gap compared to the 9800 pro, 9500 pro is better.

nm that price was bs, i can get it for 249.95 tho lol thats a slight improvment

im still planning on buying a 9800 pro, i want the best expeirence possible

That's some nice work, Matrix. I assume that the 128 Mb version will be ok for Doom 3 too, so the card should be a decent investment for some time (unlike my crappy 4200).

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
im still planning on buying a 9800 pro, i want the best expeirence possible

Yea, I am with you on that!

I got the 9700 Pro for around $300 CDN. Best Buy in Alberta was clearing their stock, so I was lucky enough to have worked there so I could put one aside!

i have a 4200 too :( when half life comes out, if its as bad as they say im seeling the card and getting a 9600 pro, 256 ddr 9800 is going too far right now games arent that huge yet maybe in a few years when the prices drop :)

Sad truth:

On price watch, the Geforce4 Ti4600 is $168, and the Radeon 9800 Pro is about $194. Geforce FX 5900 128 is $238.

Notice how the 9800 Pro is practically the same price as the Geforce4?

I swapped my GeForce FX 5600 for an ATI 9600 256mb for only $30. The FX came with the computer...so it wasn't my choice. I'm happy as hell right now though. :)

Originally posted by G0rgon
moreover 9800pro with 256 cost in the uk, £370 that is $440.

gorgon where and what is the best price you have managed to find a 9800pro for in england... im hitting around the 270£ mark... and id love to get it cheaper if possible...

therook

Originally posted by TheRook
gorgon where and what is the best price you have managed to find a 9800pro for in england... im hitting around the 270£ mark... and id love to get it cheaper if possible...

That seems to be a pretty good price - 265-ish is the cheapest I've seen it for (and that's from a place I wouldn't particularly trust). £300 seems more typical.

Originally posted by Joneleth
Sad truth:

On price watch, the Geforce4 Ti4600 is $168, and the Radeon 9800 Pro is about $194. Geforce FX 5900 128 is $238.

Notice how the 9800 Pro is practically the same price as the Geforce4?

Wow, I wanna see that pricewatch, here the cheapest 9800 pro is 350 us dollars.
For 200 dollars (180 euro's) you don't even have a 9700 non pro.

And I have never seen any GF4 the same price as a 9700/9800 (pro) so thats nonsense.

The 256MB cards is definetely a waste of money. If you are buying those games for future games, just remember that memory on the card is not likely going to be an issue in the future. You should just save that money towards your next card.

Originally posted by PvtRyan

For 200 dollars (180 euro's) you don't even have a 9700 non pro.

Actually, I got my 9700np for about 160 euro's. Though that was probably a very good deal.:cheese:

Originally posted by DrEvil
The 256MB cards is definetely a waste of money. If you are buying those games for future games, just remember that memory on the card is not likely going to be an issue in the future. You should just save that money towards your next card.

Maximum PC magazine said that the 256 MB will probably help in games like HL2 and Doom 3.

I am guessing not by that much though.

Originally posted by theGreenBunny
Actually, I got my 9700np for about 160 euro's. Though that was probably a very good deal.:cheese:

Hmmm... tell me more :cool:
:p

Originally posted by koopa
That seems to be a pretty good price - 265-ish is the cheapest I've seen it for (and that's from a place I wouldn't particularly trust). £300 seems more typical.

i was hoping you some1 wouldnt say thats the cheapest you could get it...

if new egg delivered to england i would buy one from their working out at about 170-180£ for a 9800pro128 :( but they dont...

therook

This is a hardware thread, but it's in the general discussion forum??

Anyway the 256mb is a waste of money, even in the highest resolution in 4x AGP mode whith everything set to max it is only 4fps faster in Doom3 and in 8x there would proberly be no difference atall unless the 256mb versions PCB is better laid out or it's one of the DRR 2.0 boards. So in other words don't buy 256 mb one, unless Mummy and Daddy are buying it for you then you can **** off and die.

ahhahah i was on an ewsgroup trying to sell my geforce ti4200 and this guy is selling his

ATI Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder 64MB AGP Video

for 169 $ canadian ROFL !!!!!!!!!!!

i told him its only worth like 50-70$

cuz the best price i found was like 56$ retail brand new lmao he was selling a used

ATI Radeon 7500 All-In-Wonder 64MB AGP Video
for 169$ LOL

while it makes no difference now it will in the future why do people have to complain at every bit of future proofing... the 3.2gig intel p4 is not needed at the moment but people still buy it... because it will save them upgrade for perhaps another month or 2

therook

Originally posted by TheRook
while it makes no difference now it will in the future why do people have to complain at every bit of future proofing... the 3.2gig intel p4 is not needed at the moment but people still buy it... because it will save them upgrade for perhaps another month or 2

therook

Actually if I had a 3.2 gig p4 (instead of my more than reasonable xp 2800) I wouldn't get fps under 30 (at certain, very rare points :cheese:) in unreal 2 and that came out a while ago. So you can't really compare that to an extra 128mb video memory which won't make much of a difference in doom3 which is comeing out next year.

the extra 128 meg of memory wont improve the fps like increasing the bandwith and its fillrates but the main reason for memory is so it can store more textures... and ill be damned if doom3 doesnt take use of the extra 128 meg of ram on the card.... have you seen some of the textures??

TheRook

p.s whats your graphics card?

doom3 uses about 80mb of vid ram I hear. by the time games need 256mb, you would have a radeon 15000 or something like that

I still can't believe the FX5600 and FX5200 cards run so poorly. i really feel bad for people who bought those cards because (w/o OCing) the FX5600 is actually a faster card then the 9600 pro in most non-dx9 games. No one could see this coming....

My condolences.

Originally posted by manny_c44
No one could see this coming....

Well..... actually, they kinda did see it coming, both Gabe and Carmack.

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Well..... actually, they kinda did see it coming, both Gabe and Carmack.

I'm talking about the people buying the cards, not the devlopers.

Well where i live i could either get

this ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB Video Card : $269

or this XP2700+ CPU s462/128k+256K .13 (333FSB) : $ 254

My current system :

1 Ghz athon
A7NX-X Nforce2 motherboard
512 meg 3200 DDR 400 mhz
Geforce 4 Ti4200

can you help me choose?

Back