video card?

B

bigpinky

hi, i was just trying to solve one of my problems. On the list of servers my ping is good, but when i enter the server my ping skyrockets to the 200's. Also there is some rooms where there is no lag. What is the problem? I think it might be my video card.

there's a big difference between ping and fps (frames per second (how fast your video card renders the scene))

type in "net_graph 1" into the console

check your ping and fps to see what it is.

In other words, ping is related to your internet connection. Only FPS can be caused by the video card.

The higher you set your graphics settings the higher the ping is though for some reason. Upgrading your card might improve your ping, I dunno.

if ur hardware in ur comp. is slow then yes it can raise ur ping

No, its just that if you up the graphics quality, it stresses your system more, so it is unable to deal with the internet connection as efficiently. Though, I very much doubt it could cause the ping to go over 200

shadow6899 said:
yea the better the graphics and such the more info that has to be passed inbewtween the server and the client?

No, The better the graphics the slower your computer is responding to the server....the server doesn't handle graphical information, just the posistions of other players and what they are doing.

What is your connection and what is your "Rate" console setting at?

what i just said on my post is true i have dsl and i played halo with an intigrated gfx card and my ping was like 200 then i went to the fx5200 and my ping was at 100

JellyWorld said:
The higher you set your graphics settings the higher the ping is though for some reason. Upgrading your card might improve your ping, I dunno.

dont listen to Avril shes trying to fool u with pop rock
the grafix card never affects ur ping

The better the graphics the slower your computer is responding to the server....the server doesn't handle graphical information, just the posistions of other players and what they are doing.
This is the real fact.
I'll explain :
If you have an fps of like 12, that means your computer updates your location less fast/ less in general. In the meanwhile, the server just keeps waiting on your computer to send fresh data, while your computer is still busy updating it for itself!
Example :
You have an fps of 12 and send out infopackets each 170 milliseconds.
Some other guy has an fps of 80 and sends out infopackets each 80 milliseconds!

I know it's hard to understand, but try joining a server that has a HUGE map (e.g. : rp_cityx_007, its 25 MB). While your computer has to load ALL the info and has to render ALL the visible buildings, your ping skyrockets to 400+. Believe me, I've had it before, and my computer is not of the weak kind.

I have everything whacked on full for offline play in HL2 single player, but as soon as I play CS, I have to dumb down the settings to reduce my 'latency'. Although my ping looks the same, I have some horrible slowdown on parts of certain maps with everything on full (including AA and AF), hence why I take it all off to play CS.

Meanwhile, on my laptop, I can play HL2 single player offline without any problems on reasonable settings, but even on the lowest settings, HL2DM and CS Source are unplayable online.

have u even told us what ur gfx card is? and u dont really need af and aa if ur lagging

Back