Video Dump I (POST YOUR RANDOM/GOOD/FUNNY VIDEOS HERE)

"We are not afraid of the Americans. Allah has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid... and they are condemned."

"Our initial assessment is that they will all die."

"They are suffering from shock. And awe. Ok."

"They are a superpower of villains. Really. They are a superpower of Al Capone."

"We have them surrounded in their tanks"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s27Oq5ot0ZI

I always wanted to play that, tbh. Back in the days, when it came out. I'd look in the games magazine and be so sadded that I couldn't have it :(

it was terrible. I had the psone version, it's broken now. I also had some weird star wars management game called naboo something, which was released at the same time.

Sucks for him. I've played for 4 years and have maintained and gained friendships in the real world.

So, like.

The concept of Smart Dust was created by Kristofer S.J. Pister who now teaches at the University of California - he's a member of JASON, an independent scientific advisory board to the government. There was a bit of controversy in JASON in 2002, as the Department of Defence was wanting to put three new members in JASON (Where JASON are the ones who chooses it's members for the sake of it's autonomy, according to them) - the decision ended up not going ahead, but now JASON is funded by an office higher in the defence hierarchy.

Some of JASON's research includes:

High Frequency Gravitational Waves, (October 2008; JSR-08-506)
Engineering Microorganisms for Energy Production, (June 2006; JSR-05-300)
High Performance Biocomputation (March 2005; JSR-04-300)
Horizontal Integration: Broader Access Models for Realizing Information Dominance (December 2004; JSR-04-312)
Human Genome Project (October 1997; JSR-97-315)
Quantum Computing (July 1996; JSR-95-115)
Microsurveillance of the Urban Battlefield (February 1995; JSR-95-125)

Amongst many others.

http://robotics.eecs.berkeley.edu/~pister/SmartDust/ said:
The dark side
o Yes, personal privacy is getting harder and harder to come by. Yes, you can hype Smart Dust as being great for big brother (thank you, New Scientist). Yawn. Every technology has a dark side - deal with it. [this was my original comment on "dark side" issues, but it made a lot of people think that we weren't thinking about these issues at all. Not true.]
o As an engineer, or a scientist, or a hair stylist, everyone needs to evaluate what they do in terms of its positive and negative effect. If I thought that the negatives of working on this project were larger than or even comparable to the positives, I wouldn't be working on it. As it turns out, I think that the potential benefits of this technology far far outweigh the risks to personal privacy.

Environmental Impact
A lot of people seem to be worried about environmental impact. Not to worry! Even in my wildest imagination I don't think that we'll ever produce enough Smart Dust to bother anyone. If Intel stopped producing Pentia and produced only Smart Dust, and you spread them evenly around the country, you'd get around one grain-of-sand sized mote per acre per year. If by ill chance you did inhale one, it would be just like inhaling a gnat. You'd cough it up post-haste. Unpleasant, but not very likely.
Consider the scale - if I make a million dust motes, they have a total volume of one liter. Throwing a liter worth of batteries into the environment is certainly not going to help it, but in the big picture it probably doesn't make it very high on the list of bad things to do to the planet.

And that's all I can be ****ed gathering from a few quick Wikipedia articles.

if something mates with the smart dust......uh oh!

lol won't happen anytime soon but I'd rather see drinkable height changing potions myself

So, like.

The concept of Smart Dust was created by Kristofer S.J. Pister who now teaches at the University of California - he's a member of JASON, an independent scientific advisory board to the government. There was a bit of controversy in JASON in 2002, as the Department of Defence was wanting to put three new members in JASON (Where JASON are the ones who chooses it's members for the sake of it's autonomy, according to them) - the decision ended up not going ahead, but now JASON is funded by an office higher in the defence hierarchy.

Some of JASON's research includes:

High Frequency Gravitational Waves, (October 2008; JSR-08-506)
Engineering Microorganisms for Energy Production, (June 2006; JSR-05-300)
High Performance Biocomputation (March 2005; JSR-04-300)
Horizontal Integration: Broader Access Models for Realizing Information Dominance (December 2004; JSR-04-312)
Human Genome Project (October 1997; JSR-97-315)
Quantum Computing (July 1996; JSR-95-115)
Microsurveillance of the Urban Battlefield (February 1995; JSR-95-125)

Amongst many others.

And that's all I can be ****ed gathering from a few quick Wikipedia articles.

Oh my god who even green lighted this.

Well I imagine it'd either be the university he used to work for, or JASON, or something.

It probably got green-lighted the same way GPS in cars did.

"Sure it'll store and track every place you ever visit, but you never get lost with it!"

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/05/03/smart.dust.sensors/index.html

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/05/03/smart.dust.sensors/index.html said:
The latest news comes from the computer and printing company Hewlett-Packard, which recently announced it's working on a project it calls the "Central Nervous System for the Earth." In coming years, the company plans to deploy a trillion sensors all over the planet.

The wireless devices would check to see if ecosystems are healthy, detect earthquakes more rapidly, predict traffic patterns and monitor energy use. The idea is that accidents could be prevented and energy could be saved if people knew more about the world in real time, instead of when workers check on these issues only occasionally.

HP will take its first step toward this goal in about two years, said Pete Hartwell, a senior researcher at HP Labs in Palo Alto. The company has made plans with Royal Dutch Shell to install 1 million matchbook-size monitors to aid in oil exploration by measuring rock vibrations and movement, he said. Those sensors, which already have been developed, will cover a 6-square-mile area.

That will be the largest smart dust deployment to date, he said.

Builderburg owned media scares me.

The London Times said:
David Packard, businessman and former United States Deputy Secretary of Defence in the Nixon Administration, died on March 26 aged 83. He was born on September 7, 1912.

In the cut-throat environment of modern American industry, with its massive worker lay-offs and remote senior executives, David Packard was a remarkable example of a very different management philosophy. By keeping in constant touch with his employees and giving full rein to their creativity, sharing profits and providing security, he built the Hewlett-Packard Company into one of the largest and most innovative electronics companies in the world.

Together with his partner, William Hewlett, Packard founded the concern in 1938 with a capital of $538 and a workshop housed in his garage. Today it has 100,000 employees, and annual revenues of $31billion, with factories across the world.

Packard and Hewlett had been friends as electrical engineering students at Stanford University, where the 6ft 4in Packard had also been an outstanding athlete and football player.

Both enjoyed tinkering with electronics, and in short order they had invented a weight-reducing machine, an electronic harmonica tuner, and a foul-line indicator for bowling alleys. Their first commercial sale, however, was to Walt Disney, who ordered eight audio-oscillators for use on the sound-track of Fantasia at $71.50 each. The Hewlett-Packard partnership turned a profit of $1,653 in its first year, reinvested it in the business, and never looked back. The garage, recognised as the birthplace of Silicon Valley, is now a California state landmark.

As the corporation grew, Packard strove to maintain its small company atmosphere by creating numerous divisions and giving each a high degree of autonomy which extended to the shop floor. Managers were encouraged to set objectives and to let the workers get on with the job. Combined with a technique known as "management by walking around," which had senior executives making themselves visible and accessible on the shop floor, it proved extremely effective. Packard himself, who had a horror of executive pomposity, insisted on being called "Dave" by his workers.

A lifelong liberal Republican, who had made substantial financial contributions to the party, Packard found himself the centre of controversy in 1969 when he was selected by President Nixon to become deputy to Melvin Laird as Secretary of Defence. The reason was a potential conflict of interest: Hewlett-Packard was a major defence contractor, selling an annual $100million worth of electronic instruments to the Pentagon, and Packard owned about 30 per cent of the stock, worth $289million.

He resolved the issue by leaving the company, exchanging his $1million income for a government salary of $30,000, and putting his shares into a charitable trust. Although some, including Senator Albert Gore, were unconvinced, calling the move a book-keeping exercise, Packard won Senate confirmation easily and served with considerable success for the next three years before returning to Hewlett-Packard as chairman.

Packard was later appointed by President Reagan as chairman of the Blue Ribbon Commission on Defence Management, recommending changes in the system of weapons procurement, and served as a member of the Trilateral Commission from 1973 to 1981.

During the 1980s Packard went into semi-retirement, though maintaining his official position with Hewlett-Packard. But, when the company got into financial difficulties in 1991, he returned to full-time work, and inspired the reorganisation which restored its fortunes.

David Packard is survived by one son and three daughters. His wife Lucile died in 1987.

TL;DR: Hewlett Packard, who has ties with the Bilderburg group, will be distributing this Smart Dust to create a central nervous system of the world.

I wish I could talk to Kathaksung, but he's too hardcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVfTD3Ug1f8
This is actually making headlines. Might help some sad cases.
Haha, okay.

1) 100 days is not 24,000 hours. SLIGHT miscalculation there methinks.

2) Deleting your characters don't mean shit. Even if you wiped em all and unsubscribed, you'd still easily be able to resub and ask a mod to restore your characters. They might be missing their equipment, but that's nothing a few heroics can't fix. If he sold his account on the other hand (not entirely within the EULA but that doesn't stop people), he'd not only be locked out of the account, but would probably make a tidy sum in the process, considering how many ****ing 80s he had.

3) If you're playing a video game to the extent that you have no friends, that's your ****ing fault, not the game. Learn to manage your time or join a guild that raids at appropriate hours for your schedule (if you even have one in the first place). WoW is really not that time consuming any more.

4) The "cooler" your character looks, the sadder you are in real life? Haha, right, because WotLK raids don't hand out purps like candy. Sounds like this guy had a pretty shitty guild/server.

****ing hell, far be it for someone to actually take responsibility for their obsession instead of blaming it on a game which the majority of people have no problem playing at their own discretion, and not at the expense of their social life or whatever else.

Also, One Republic? Blech.

2) Deleting your characters don't mean shit. Even if you wiped em all and unsubscribed, you'd still easily be able to resub and ask a mod to restore your characters. They might be missing their equipment, but that's nothing a few heroics can't fix. If he sold his account on the other hand (not entirely within the EULA but that doesn't stop people), he'd not only be locked out of the account, but would probably make a tidy sum in the process, considering how many ****ing 80s he had.

Hah, yeah when I got bored I sold my character to a guild-mate for about 180 quid.

After spending a couple months in India, I've come to appreciate how cheap they like to make things. It's a strange system... the antithesis of American culture. I figure it's caused by the sheer number of workforce available. In America things are expensive so people get paid more. In people get paid less so things are cheaper. I mean it's a place where you can get a brand new car for a couple thousand dollars and your cell phone is a couple bucks with less than a penny a minute. You can eat lunch hearty lunch for a dollar and take a cab ride across all of Bangalore for ten. It sounds awesome, but unless you're in some high class job, you won't get paid much. Indians sure as hell know how to haggle.

Back