Video: Ravenholm re-run: completed in 1:36 on hard.

L

LightningX

Current mirrors:
[ 74.9MB .zip file, demos included ]

- http://www.own-age.com/vids/video.aspx?id=3459
- http://files.filefront.com/Ravenholm_Re_Ru...;/fileinfo.html

The updated list of mirrors will be in this thread @ hl2dq:
http://hl2dq.tngamer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1355

Shaolin Productions has graciously edited together my latest Ravenholm run, clocking in at 1:36 on hard. This is a continuous run, each level was played in sequence and health/ammo were carried over. So enjoy, with great thanks to JRB and his talents, Ravenholm Re-Run.

This run contains heavy use of the Hoverboard trick. Basically by picking up a flat object like a board or box shard, you can step on top of it and jump repeatedly to fly and hover. This makes for great shortcuts as far as speedrunning is concerned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MISC DETAILS:

Run by: LightningX
Video by: JRB of Shaolin Productions
Total run time: 1:36.68
Demos Included: 4 maps that make up Ravenholm, 01-01a-02-02a.
Difficulty: All demos played on hard, and loaded in continuous fashion from the previous level.

VIDEO DETAILS:

File: ravenholmrun.avi
Codec: Xvid 1.0.3 - http://www.xvid.org / http://www.koepi.org/xvid.shtml
File size: 72.8MB
Resolution: 640x440
Length: 2:46
Music: Black Lab - This Blood

Created using Half-Life 2, Sony Vegas, and VirtualDub.

THANKS TO:

fu3l3d, warywolf, darkangel
#hl2dq (irc.gamesurge.net)
#shaolinproductions (irc.quakenet.org)
HL2DQ Speedrunning Team

seen it, pretty nice
ow and that plank floating tricky.. do you have to jump on it rapidly to fly?
edit: actually you explained it above. nice work

Wow... first time I ever saw the 'wood surfing' trick.

The effects on the video kill it... and where's the "made by LighingX" ?

Anyway, awsome run! ;)

Congratulations on the run Lightning.

I must say though, what makes that video so great is the editng and presentation. Really slick and a pleasure to watch.

*EDIT*

Ah no wonder, I've just checked out Shaolin Productions. They're a professional outfit. How'd you get them to do it?

Wow, this is going to take a while to download, it'd better be worth it =/

I downloaded it, and it doesnt work. When I play it (I've used three different media players: windows media, creative, and media play classic) i can hear the noise for a while, but the screen is green. Then a window error message pops up. What should I do?

nice run, but im iffy about the whole hoverboard thingy... seems kinda TOO easy/quick

Yeah, using the hoverboard trick is a little iffy, however, proving that the level can be done that fast is a great achievment, took me ages getting through it and to watch someone do it that fast is impressive no matter how they done it.

damn you finished Ravenholm in under 2 mins.... I cant believe it!

sv_cheats 1
noclip
45 sec
gimme a sec to make a demo of it... :p

that was nuts bro, also the way it was made was amazing, really nice work

[SNIP]

When it comes to speedrunning, all exploits must be used,. or someone else will. You cant set rules about how the game should be played, because you cant get everyone to agree on them. The only restrictions you can have are those imposed by the programmers.

Nice run, Lightning. The end was somewhat anti-climatic, but the editing more then made for it. Impressive presentation really.

You can't hoverboard in MP because you can't pick anything up with the use key.

HalfLife2Addict said:
So yes it's pretty pathetic.
Theres nothing pathetic about it. Hes not tricking, fooling, or cheating anyone. This is still, may I remind you, single player.
LightningX said:
You can't hoverboard in MP because you can't pick anything up with the use key.
Well that settles that.

He didn't do the last two or three maps of ravenholm (the mines and the snipers)

well i always thought myself that ravenholm ended the second you went through that door so in my opinion, he finished it

Very, very impressive and definitely worth the watch. Had no idea about that board riding trick, and even though you surfed through most of the level, it was fun to see you beat this in a minute and a half whereas it took me a day and a half. :p

Lightning X, - Insanely impressive. You're a great player.

However, It's my personal opinion that Half-Life 2 'done quick' should be Half-Life 2 done quick without any exploits. Grav jumping, yeah. It kind of makes sense. But the hoverboard thing, while a neat trick, isn't playing the game in my personal opinion. I understand it's not cheating at all, it's just an exploit in the game like so many other things. But flying? C'mon. :)

Great job though. :thumbs:

You know the name of people that find exploits and take use of them?

Hackers. :p

what are you talking about the music was awful lol

Excellent movie, especially the special effects. I loved when the box hit the blade. Keep on doin these great movies, it was worth the 75MB download!!

Thanks, LightningX

DreadLord
:cheers: