Virus Warning

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just to let you know it would be wise to be incredibly careful when you're visiting Google at the moment.

Some ****s have registered a domain name which reads the same as a common typo you might make as typing in the URL.

I won't actually post the URL here to save any of you from accidentally going to it. Going to it actually takes you to a website that will run loads of scripts and infect your computer with viruses. Somebody did it at work this morning and Symantec corporate detected 40 viruses, including trojans in just a minute of visiting the site.

Just be very, very careful! :)

I use the Firefox Search Bar so I should be safe.

Now I'll be afraid to even search for stuff for a few days.

Can you post when (and IF) it's resolved?

google is my homepage

unless the whole time ive been linking to the virus site and its really not google...

Chris_D said:
Somebody did it at work this morning and Symantec corporate detected 40 viruses, including trojans in just a minute of visiting the site.

Just be very, very careful! :)

So what's the problem? If symantec detected it, it shouldn't hurt you. Go with NOD32! :naughty:

I actually only type g then press enter since its the first on the firefox bar in that category, so I'll be fine.

I'm really, really curious as to what the screwed url is now

good thing I'm canadian and use my beloved google.ca
but...
urge to go to typo google rising... :|

Whats the typo, I wanna visit it from school.

Google is my homepage, so I never need to type it, just hit the Home button in IE.

But that's some scary stuff. Smart, but scary.

But look at it this way. Those idiots aren't even making money from it. Yet they have to pay for bandwidth. Haha.

(Oh, and this brings up a theory that I am sure has been discussed. What if popular anti-virus programs purposely make and distribute viruses, so that you will buy their software? I am sure someone does it. Has this occured to anyone else?)

solaris152000 said:
Whats the typo, I wanna visit it from school.

Yeah would like to try that at work Muahahaha!

Sit back and watch the mayhem! :devil:

Yeh i just use the home button, thanks for the heads up though :thumbs:

xLostx said:
good thing I'm canadian and use my beloved google.ca
but...
urge to go to typo google rising... :|
Every time I type in google.ca, it takes me to google.com... its a conspiracy I tells ya!

god i want to go to the site so badly, just for cruioisty

i think im gonna do it at school though. good idea!

If you download Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, install Windows XP on it and use it to go on the internet, wouldn't it only infect your Virtual Machine? If some of you are feeling daring then give it a go :p

Thank you for the headsup. I hope you didn't go to Morrowind Summit, because I went there but had to disable firewall for the damn site to respond, no affect as of yet though, which is good news

Was it

goggle.com
?

If so, my friend went onto this at school and there was a load of pop ups and viruses, ect...

I thought service pack 2 stopped websites from running harmful scripts and viruses without the users permission

Chris_D said:
If you download Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, install Windows XP on it and use it to go on the internet, wouldn't it only infect your Virtual Machine? If some of you are feeling daring then give it a go :p

Yup, virtual PC creates a "fake" hard disk, which is actually a single file on your real hard drive. As such, the only thing that can execute the file is Virtual PC, leaving your PC immune. Saying that, it might be possible to infect a PC, if the virus is designed to go through VPC from the start, as it could, in theory, behave as a trojan that runs when VPC calls the file, then infecting the PC itself. Hard to do though.

But I wouldn't worry about that, VPC is very little used, so virus writers arn't likley to bother.

OmegaX said:
I thought service pack 2 stopped websites from running harmful scripts and viruses without the users permission

it did...

or they say so.......

I know what the typo is, mwhahah

This is fecked up

my homepage is google, I get there by clicking home or just opening the browser ... besides, it's hard to get viruses just by visiting websites if you have the right protection.

a realtime virus scanner, a firewall (preferably hardware) and some sort of spyware scanner are must-haves in this day and age.

the best anti-virus ever invented is called the Mac. or you could use Linux.

I typo google quite a lot at school with their buggered up keyboards, so well ...
/me backs up school work

Virus is the worst thing for computers. Even heat is better =>

The Dark Elf said:
I should be ok, im so lazy I have a bookmark for google lol

Hehe, same here.

sometimes I type it anyway... and I regularly spell things wrong when I'm in a hurry :x

Oh crap. Thanks for the heads up, I always end up typing in stupid things and going to some random domain. Ends up bieng gamespit alot of the time :p

Samon said:
Oh crap. Thanks for the heads up, I always end up typing in stupid things and going to some random domain. Ends up bieng gamespit alot of the time :p

I always used to get problems with hoitmail.com :D

My friend thought it was a German version :p

Back