Voltigore and Antlion Guard

If these two aliens fought each other, which would be the victor?

• Voltigore (Opposing Force)

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Antlion Guard (Half-Life 2)

Votes: 21 56.8%

• Total voters

Llama

Tank
Reaction score
This got me thinking. I was playing Opposing Force, and I was in the sewer section of Foxtrot Uniform (I think). The Voltigores were owning me. Now while playing I thought back to one the the earlier Half-life 2 screens which caught my attention in the first place. (The screenshot of the player with a shotgun on a beach with a Antlion Guard infront and a Combine Gunship below) I started thinking about how similiar the two creatures were.

So, with this in mind, I would like to start a comparison between the two aliens. Yes, I know the two creatures would probably never meet in fluff terms, but suppose they did. Which would be the superior? Which is stronger? Which has the better melle ability?

My vote goes to the Voltigore, but hey, it's anyones guess.
Discuss :imu:

Voltigore. Those mean buggers from Xen kept cleaning the floor with my ass in OP4.

Voltigores arn't from Xen :p They are a member of the Race-X, er, race.

Antlionguard. As powerful as the Voltigores little purple zappy attack was, it is easily avoided in open space, rather than the likes of a sewer. An Antlion guard would run circles around it, and clobber it.

I found the Voltigores very easy to kill.

Llama said:

When was it confirmed that Race-X are not from Xen? I must have missed that.

I'd say Antlion Guard as well - although I'm not so sure about the Myrmidon's dodging ability, it certainly has the endurance to eat a couple of blasts and still trample the Volt into powder.

Antlion Guard got to a point where it was annyoing trying to kill it. Eventually I basically had to blow myself up in-order to kill it. So yeah, I'd say a Antlion Guard.

Blow yourself up?

Truthfully, I never wasted a single bullet on the Antlion Guard. I did exactly what the game was prompting me to do - shower it in props. From boxes to barrels, from wood to toilet seats, it could be done. Or force it to charge into a wall.
I thought it was a very fun enemy to battle, especially in the fact that you didn't need to waste a single bullet. Unless you are that way inclined of course.

Antlion guards have more hitpoints and deal more damage per strike. Voltigores are actually pretty soft units, and seem better as anti-infantry.

Sadly, as I don't have the source code to Voltigores, I can't really test it easily.

-Angry Lawyer

Guard. While I doubt a guard could dodge a voltigore's attack it could probable take a few shots of the 'lecticity before being taken down but I can't imagine the 'gore winning if the guard got up close(which it would rather fast as both seem to be lacking in the strafage department)

Once the guard had given the Voltigore a good head butt, I really doubt the fat lump could recover that well. Wham. Wham. Voltigore down. I doubt the Guard would be far from antlion support either.

The Antlion Guard would rip through the soft tissue of the Voltigore.

I reckon an Antlion Guard is about twice as tough as a Voltigore- so my vote goes to the guard.

If the 'gore was at the end of a very long and narrow corridor, however, it might have a chance to soften the guard up with a few blasts first: and then it'd be more even ;)

Those energy blasts were about 75% the damage of a rocket to the face.

Antlion Guards can take quite a few rockets before going down.

-Angry Lawyer

But you're the Lawyer. Surely you can take the gore and stick it in HL2 like you did with the A-grunt

The Alien Grunt had a lot of base code from HL1 that was easily changed. Opposing Force never released its code, and Sven Coop had to make an educated guess. Remaking it for a demonstration would take a month or so, as opposed to the Alien Grunt, which as I had the HL1 source to convert, only took a week.

Rest assured, if I can get in contact with Gearbox, they'll reappear in CC17.

-Angry Lawyer

no matter who´s fighting, I would the Victor, in fact I´m the Victor

Samon said:
Blow yourself up?

Truthfully, I never wasted a single bullet on the Antlion Guard. I did exactly what the game was prompting me to do - shower it in props. From boxes to barrels, from wood to toilet seats, it could be done. Or force it to charge into a wall.
I thought it was a very fun enemy to battle, especially in the fact that you didn't need to waste a single bullet. Unless you are that way inclined of course.

Really? I generally wait till charge, double shotgun in side. Wait till charge, double shotgun in side. Occasionally hurl barrels at it.

Angry Lawyer said:
The Alien Grunt had a lot of base code from HL1 that was easily changed. Opposing Force never released its code, and Sven Coop had to make an educated guess. Remaking it for a demonstration would take a month or so, as opposed to the Alien Grunt, which as I had the HL1 source to convert, only took a week.

Rest assured, if I can get in contact with Gearbox, they'll reappear in CC17.

-Angry Lawyer
So it hasn't been axed?

Maybe Voltigore because they have electro beams but Myrmidonts head attack is very powerfull...

Angry Lawyer said:
Those energy blasts were about 75% the damage of a rocket to the face.

Antlion Guards can take quite a few rockets before going down.

-Angry Lawyer

True, but the neurocharged electrical pulse bursts of the Voltigore would clearly do fivefold damage versus a creature with such gigantic synaptic organs!

:LOL:

Llama said:

Actually, its still in heavy debate wether the Voltigores are from Xen, and are a new Xen life form in Opposing Force and blindly branded as being apart of Race X.
Its ridges on its back matches that of the Houndeye although in a different colour, confirmed to be from Xen, and they generate an electric attack similar to the Vortigaunts, suggesting they are roughly from the same biosphere. (Xen)
(Think Chimps and Humans.)

Every Race X alien with a large eye (including the Pit Worm) has two eyelids which regularly blink horizontally across the eyeball.
The Pit Drone matches that closely of the Shock Trooper, although the skin is yellowish-tan in colour, they have a small head which sport rows of sharp spines alongside the shock trooper, and have (small) arm like appendages near their mouths which are also shared by the Shocktroopers, suggesting they are closely related much like how Vortigaunts are related to the Alien Grunts.

However, the 'Geneworm' seen at the End of Opposing Force seems more like the Xen Tentacle than a Race X alien, so that creatures origin is still in heavy debate.

Alien Slaves weren't originally from Xen either, so poo-poo on you :p

AciD said:
Actually, its still in heavy debate wether the Voltigores are from Xen, and are a new Xen life form in Opposing Force and blindly branded as being apart of Race X.
Its ridges on its back matches that of the Houndeye although in a different colour, confirmed to be from Xen, and they generate an electric attack similar to the Vortigaunts, suggesting they are roughly from the same biosphere. (Xen)
(Think Chimps and Humans.)

Every Race X alien with a large eye (including the Pit Worm) has two eyelids which regularly blink horizontally across the eyeball.
The Pit Drone matches that closely of the Shock Trooper, although the skin is yellowish-tan in colour, they have a small head which sport rows of sharp spines alongside the shock trooper, and have (small) arm like appendages near their mouths which are also shared by the Shocktroopers, suggesting they are closely related much like how Vortigaunts are related to the Alien Grunts.

However, the 'Geneworm' seen at the End of Opposing Force seems more like the Xen Tentacle than a Race X alien, so that creatures origin is still in heavy debate.

Actually, they aren't. Marc Laidlaw came along and pretty much said that the Race X beings were not from Xen. :)

I was born in a hospital, I live in a house. Race X could easily have come from another world originaly and moved to Xen, just like our firends, the Vorts.

Samon said:
Antlionguard. As powerful as the Voltigores little purple zappy attack was, it is easily avoided in open space, rather than the likes of a sewer. An Antlion guard would run circles around it, and clobber it.

I found the Voltigores very easy to kill.

Too bad Antlion guards are too stupid to do that. All they do is charge. So... the Voltigore would fry him.

The Voltigore code's not exactly clever itself. Once it gets within a certain range, it tries to melee, regardless of foe. It'd get ripped to shreds.

-Angry Lawyer

Samon said:
Actually, they aren't. Marc Laidlaw came along and pretty much said that the Race X beings were not from Xen. :)

Heh I know that ;)
I'm trying to explain that perhaps the Voltigore was infact another new Xen creature encountered then blindly labelled as a member of 'Race X' just because its a 'new monster' in the OP4 expansion.
It has more characteristics of a Xen Creature than that of a Race X creature.

Samon said:
When was this? :p

Last I checked, all the evidential stuff pointed to the xen livin'.

Also neither wins because the voltigore explosion would take them both out. :p

AciD said:
Heh I know that ;)
I'm trying to explain that perhaps the Voltigore was infact another new Xen creature encountered then blindly labelled as a member of 'Race X' just because its a 'new monster' in the OP4 expansion.
It has more characteristics of a Xen Creature than that of a Race X creature.
Yes, but they work in teams with shock troopers.

Race X were rubbhish. Except for the Shockroach or beatle or... You know, that thing. And the green fellas with the huge claws.

Shocktroopers were awesome...cyclops soldiers ftw, though they didnt have big claws AKAIK. Pit Drones did, but they were brown

(OffTopic: This got me thinking. We should put up a respect sticky with the names of the people that are most "in-the-know" when it comes to the Half-life storyline...naturally i'd be in the top 5 :p)

Back