VST - Video Stress Test?

well we started pre-loading css around 915pm eastern time on monday, which is 5 hours behind you guys in the uk so maybe around 2:15 am your time.....but there will be alot of ppl trying to get it :borg: :borg:

cool :D nice one miles! well i think i will wait for it. if not i have all day tomorrow to play cs:s beta and show screens to ppl who want them with system specs and look at the vst thing!

man this is all so exciting! i mean come on guys "HL2 uploading tomorrow" ok ok ok it is audio files and that. but we will have apart of HL2 on our systems (i have an ati card but going to buy the game but....well you know wat i mean!?

hopefully they will start around that time....2am uk time, 9pm est, 6pm valve time....we shall see......... the servers will be packed we might have to make our own :upstare: :upstare:

hey sorry for the misund'ing, but does everyone get this vst? will it be like a video test?

/me shrugs

Making no comment because it's late and I'd just end up spreading misinformation- meh!

So, it's around 60 megs, is it...? Damn big thing to put through Steam (by my standards). I'd feel happier grabbing it via a download resumer...

It's ~ 4:00 PM PST now. CS: Source test should go live for CZ/ATI people at 7:00 PM PST (in three hours).

that was from gabe newell

so 3am uk time heh

oldagerocker said:
That was unneeded.
:O

p.s. What time is it in America, Gabe says later tonight... but its midnight here in Britain. Im confused.

What's to be confused about, when has Valve ever announced any time in the UK? It has always been PST. THEIR timezone.

Also included in this portion of the beta is a Valve Source technology benchmark. The benchmark will be available to all beta participants via the main menu. Results will be displayed upon completion, and beta participants will then have the option to send the results to a Valve-hosted public web page tracking the results as done in prior Valve surveys.

NOOOOOO!!
It's only for betas?! :'(

hasan said:
NOOOOOO!!
It's only for betas?! :'(
Ah crap... that doesnt make sense they would only let the beta testers (who are already PLAYING on thr source engine) use the benchmark. I thought everyone got it.

That would probably make sense, considering the the Beta people will have the source engine on their computers, and non-beta people won't.

But who knows, maybe they'll be another benchmark for non beta people in the future.

Feath said:
That would probably make sense, considering the the Beta people will have the source engine on their computers, and non-beta people won't..

hmm but then whats the 60mb download for?

Feath said:
That would probably make sense, considering the the Beta people will have the source engine on their computers, and non-beta people won't.

But who knows, maybe they'll be another benchmark for non beta people in the future.
My point is they can play CS:S, bring down the console, and just look at the fps via command.

You guys dont know what your talking about (those who are saying nvidiagay, ati sucks blah blah)

The 6800Ultra, 6800 Gt, X800 xt are CPU Limited in almost all tests from what I can see. The only difference you see is when its 1600x1200 4xaa & 8x AF.. the source engine is supposedly optimized for ATI, but I dont see it making any difference. (although dust isnt a very graphic intensive map, no water etc, hopefully well see more with this benchmark utility :) ) Both series of cards are very good and theres really no giant leaps over one another. (except the 6800 non-ultra which is a budget card pretty much..)

(Except maybe in OpenGL with nvidia, but ATI just updated thier rendermonkey version to support GLSL (OpenGL 1.5 Shading lang)

I tried the 6800Ultra at a lan and it was still cpu limited and pulling 70fps at 1600x1200 4xaa & 8x AF. (So was the x800xt)

Really, even if you have a 3ghz, 3.2 ghz etc.. your cpu limited and I doubt many of you can afford a 3800+ Cpu. So its really a brand preference and the trade offs..I wont go on forever here but: x800 3dc etc. nvidia sm 3.0 etc 64bit precision. Tired of talking.

If only the original beta testers are getting it, then bugger.

Bugger bugger bugger bugger BUGGER.

Seriously, any other kind of benchmark would indeed be pointless to all but the majority who haven't experienced Source. Presumably it's another test run, leading up to a full public release. I hope.

yeah, they don't technically need a benchmark, they already have a good taste of how the game will run on thier computers; it's no rocket science.

It's us who NEED a benchmark.

heres the thing though, gabe said they postponed the HL2 pre-load for the benchmark to be pre-loaded today, now why would he do that if most everyone(who is in the CS:S beta) has already pre-loaded CS:S? which means the benchmark will come separately as well. thats my theory anyway

[[LuCkY]] said:
What's to be confused about, when has Valve ever announced any time in the UK? It has always been PST. THEIR timezone.

There's to be confused about the time zone differences, i didnt know them.

miles said:
well we started pre-loading css around 915pm eastern time on monday, which is 5 hours behind you guys in the uk so maybe around 2:15 am your time.....but there will be alot of ppl trying to get it :borg: :borg:

And you call yourself a fan? you do don't you? j/k

Anywho, it was exactly 9:26 pm est that it started.

poseyjmac said:
heres the thing though, gabe said they postponed the HL2 pre-load for the benchmark to be pre-loaded today, now why would he do that if most everyone(who is in the CS:S beta) has already pre-loaded CS:S? which means the benchmark will come separately as well. thats my theory anyway

Yea I thought that too... Although they will need lots of bandwith for all the Cafe's, CZ owners, and ATI owners....

Oh and I'm sure that if it isn't released to everyone, then someone will crack it, but that's a bad thing cracks=bad right moderators? :imu:

BTW stop the vid card flaming plz :thumbs:

yeah, Gabe's original post gave that impression.

But the news on steampowered dot com makes it seem like only beta testers will get the VST.

Cypher19 said:
Lans is pulling crap out of his ass. The only CS:S benches (read: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181&s=1 ) I've seen show the Radeon X800XT simply TROUNCING the nVidia cards. At 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF the X800XT was still at 70fps whereas the nVidia 6800 drops down to 28 fps. Maybe Lans is a bitter nVidia fan?
Whoa where did you get that number? The 6800 Ultra is neck and neck with the X800XT PE in all tests except 1600x1200 4xAA and 8xAF and it leads by 7fps. Just watch. I PROMISE that the 6800 Ultra will end up neck and neck and possibly beating the X800XT PE in the VST.

HaVoK said:
You guys dont know what your talking about (those who are saying nvidiagay, ati sucks blah blah)

The 6800Ultra, 6800 Gt, X800 xt are CPU Limited in almost all tests from what I can see. The only difference you see is when its 1600x1200 4xaa & 8x AF.. the source engine is supposedly optimized for ATI, but I dont see it making any difference.
It wasn't optimized for ATI, that rumer came about with the FX series of cards, which ignored the standard DX9 pathing. Thus ATI = Win.
the 6800 Ultra is a GOOD card, as is the X800...almost tied. And that fact just shows that Valve did no optimizing at all for one brand over the other.

SweetLou said:
Whoa where did you get that number? The 6800 Ultra is neck and neck with the X800XT PE in all tests except 1600x1200 4xAA and 8xAF and it leads by 7fps. Just watch. I PROMISE that the 6800 Ultra will end up neck and neck and possibly beating the X800XT PE in the VST.

Thanks for assuring us, SweetLou. You're much more reliable than those idiots at Valve who said ATi was 30% faster! :rolleyes:

Cypher19 said:
Lans is pulling crap out of his ass. The only CS:S benches (read: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=1181&s=1 ) I've seen show the Radeon X800XT simply TROUNCING the nVidia cards. At 1600x1200 4xAA/8xAF the X800XT was still at 70fps whereas the nVidia 6800 drops down to 28 fps. Maybe Lans is a bitter nVidia fan?

You are a frickin genious you are comparing Ati' Flagship card to Nvidia's crappiest version of the 6800. Those benchmarks are all cpu bound except for the last one at 16000x1200. And the biggest delta I saw was a lousy 7-8fps . I own a 9800np myself , but I just hate the fanboys spreading the misinformation. Ati did win the last round but this round is almost a tie imho, but Nvidia is in the lead I would say by a slim margin. Hard to beat the GT. I believe Ati agrees because they coming out with a new card just to compete with it because the x800 pro can't hack it. The x800XT vs 6800 Ultra is a close battle, but x800pro vs the 6800gt really isn't.

SaltyCrackers said:
Thanks for assuring us, SweetLou. You're much more reliable than those idiots at Valve who said ATi was 30% faster! :rolleyes:
In a few minutes you will see for yourself!!! ROFL

SweetLou said:
In a few minutes you will see for yourself!!! ROFL

I"m sure that 30% faster was under some special circumstance with maybe the old fx cards but who knows. I find it hard to believe that the 6800 would be that much slower. Maybe at 1600x1200 with full AA and af cranked to the max but still I'm skepetical.

Surfer2374 said:
I"m sure that 30% faster was under some special circumstance with maybe the old fx cards but who knows. I find it hard to believe that the 6800 would be that much slower. Maybe at 1600x1200 with full AA and af cranked to the max but still I'm skepetical.
It is hard to believe cause it ain't true. There have been two benchmarks so far. One was from the leak showing the 6800's beating the X800's by a large margin. The newest ones show the 6800's matching the X800's speed.

Man who cares. You can't go wrong with either card; so give it a rest.

eh, this thread is not about cards .. oh lans why did you have to start it? lol

lol and everybody was calling you Ians (with I rather than L)

j/k

Anyway .. this thread is about VST, lets' talk about it.

Cypher19 said:
Ok, now that is the worst statement I've ever read. Your comparing ATI's top of the line card to nVidia's 3rd card from the top. The comparision you SHOULD be making is ATI's 70 to nVidia's 63.

Maybe Cypher19 is a bitter ATI fan?

Back