want help optimizing your map for better performance?

Exavior, I notice similar happenings when I use cameras, except that they seem to hold the last image used when you viewed that area. Like when I use mat_wireframe 1 to test to see if my areaportals hide what I want, I'll turn it off and look at the tv and still see it drawing the wireframe even though its off, if I look out to what the camera sees then go back the lines are gone. Not a big issue for me though.

Thanks for the explanation poseyjmac

This could perhaps be due to the fact that you move out of one vvis block (created by area portals) and into another, meaning the engine is not rendering that part of the level anymore and so it has no material with which to refresh the water reflection / monitor.

exavior:

"One other tricky aspect of using areaportals is that they are not allowed to cross water boundaries. To accomplish this, you must manually make two func_areaportals, one that lies outside the water, and a second that lies inside the water. The two areaportal should meet at the water plane."

are you sure the above isn't the case? if it isn't, that seems like something you might want to contact valve about.

Back