War crimes in video games

Escaep

Tank
Reaction score
http://kotaku.com/5863817/war-crimes-in-video-games-draw-red-cross-scrutiny?autoplay

One of the world's largest and most respected humanitarian groups in the world is investigating whether the Geneva and Hague conventions should be applied to the fictional recreation of war in video games.

If they agree those standards should be applied, the International Committee of the Red Cross says they may ask developers to adhere to the rules themselves or "encourage" governments to adopt laws to regulate the video game industry.

See you guys in The Hague!

Wanna know something funny, but only slightly related?

Swedish state television's highest honcho got an angry letter from the ICC (Hague) after they showed a controversial Norwegian documentary on the genocide in Srebenica that questioned several of the courts decision and put forth the theory that perhaps Srebenica wasn't a planned genocide.

They also got mad when the letter was made public, apparently they don't want people to know that they try to pressure media into censoring themselves.

Summary: Hague is ****ing crazy and if they are given the legal right to censor any form of media, they won't hesitate to do it if it is in their interest.

P.S. I did not agree with the documentaries view on the genocide, but I still think it absurd for the Hague to try to scold a sovereign state for sending a documentary critical of their decisions and verdicts.

They sent them an ANGRY LETTER.

And the letters will only get ANGRIER until video games stop being violent and start having more butt-seks.

Let's apply it to books and movies as well. And you will be only able to present fictional war crimes in them, if those fictional responsible have a fair fictional trial and are fictionally punished for their fictional crimes.

And you will be only able to present fictional war crimes in them, if those fictional responsible have a fair fictional trial and are fictionally punished for their fictional crimes.

All those fictional dictators/villains might object to that.

Let them. It's not like they can vote against it.

MACHETE ALL OF THE DARK ELVES.

I feel like this was started by some slut who thought they could play video games, got their ass kicked, went crying and now this.

wheres wikileaks when you need them? I'm sure as sure that a lot of these outrageous claims against video games are just like any other ploy to suppress the freedom of speech.

The Printing Press, Radio, TV, Internet....they all had their time in the sun but over time things become controlled and regulated...so its no surprise that video games were heading in that direction anyway. I just don't like it either

What about books and movies.

Haha oh wait I don't even have to make that comparison it's already retarded on it's own.

And here I was, hoping for some mature article on how a rather serious subject is approach in video games, exploring the themes and stories in games such as Red Alert 1, Operation Flashpoint and Resistance, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout: New Vegas etc.

But this?

And here I was, hoping for some mature article on how a rather serious subject is approach in video games, exploring the themes and stories in games such as Red Alert 1, Operation Flashpoint and Resistance, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout: New Vegas etc.

But this?

Well then this is your choice to write a book on it!

Back