War films everyone shold see.

ductonius

Reaction score
War films everyone should see.

Lets face it, if you want to be a decent human being, there are some war films you have to have seen. Chances are not eveyone has heard of all the good war films they should have seen, so heres a chance to tell everyone what they need to watch.

Required viewing for status as a human being:

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Enemy at the Gates
Platoon
The Thin Red Line

List any of the many ones I probably missed.

ductonius said:
Lets face it, if you want to be a decent human being, there are some war films you have to have seen. Chances are not eveyone has heard of all the good war films they should have seen, so heres a chance to tell everyone what they need to watch.

Required viewing for status as a human being:

Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Enemy at the Gates
Platoon
The Thin Red Line

List any of the many ones I probably missed.
Well for a start you've missed the war classics, and I'm gonna guess those were long before you were born.. Heck you don't even have the battle of britain or the great escape in that list, or the countless hundreds that are required viewing for anyone who calls themselves a film buff. That list is just the more recent boom boom movies.

;(

Hey man! Get real, that's movies! it's not real life and even if it reflects the different wars we've been through it can never show us exactly how it is out there.
I very much dislike this cuz you say that i haven't got the "status" of a human being cuz i've only seen 3 of those...
shezz... if this is serious then you must be the one that lacks "status" of a human being...

Saving Privet Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Full Metal Jacket
Platoon

Fenric1138 said:
The great escape

Thats a prison break movie that took place during a war, not a war movie per se.

Fenric1138 said:
That list is just the more recent boom boom movies.

Uhhh........Apocalypse Now (1979) is not a "boom boom" moive, neither is The Thin Red Line (1998).

Enemy at the Gates (2001) is a sniper movie but has more to do with the motivations of the Soviet troops than it does pure action.

Platoon (1986) is not an action film and I dare say niether is Full Metal Jacket (1987). Yes, they have action in them but thats not what they are about.

In fact, none of the fims I mentioned are "boom boom" movies and most of them are not that recent.

I really have no idea how you can justify what you said.

Next time, instead of criticizing my suggestions, why dont you make your own, seeing how you seem to know so many more good movies I should have listed.

THE BRIDGE OVER RIVER KWAI
TORA!TORA!TORA!
13 MONKEYS - sure it's not a war movie but it's my all-time favorite

I've seen platoon, and I liked it :)

But really, saying we aren't human if we haven't seen these films... then, well... hmmmm

And Enemy at the Gates is far from being a classic. It is good, but that's it. Fenric is right, you need to add:

• The Battle of Britain
  • The Dambusters
  • The Great Escape
  • The Guns of Navarone
  • A Bridge Too Far
  • The Deerhunter
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Hot Shots
  • Hot Shots Part Deux
  • Zulu
  • M*A*S*H
  • Schlinders List
  • Dr Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
  • Das Boot
  • The Bridge Over the River Kwai

Some of them may not be considered "classics", but they're all good/very good/great movies and worth a watch.

I'll probably think of some more later on.

ductonius said:
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
Enemy at the Gates
Platoon
The Thin Red Line

You listed many of my favorite war-movies. :)

But my favorite is probably Full Metal Jacket. Must be one of the best I've ever seen.

me = war movie fanatic...so there's no getting anything passed me.

watch:

The Great Escape
Bridge Over The River Kwai
Where Eagles Dare
Cross Of Iron
Kelly's Heroes
A Bridge Too Far
Paths Of Glory
Das Boot

i'm sure there's a couple of others i've forgotten but those are the core war movies. forget everything else, that's the list that's considered the best set of war films ever made.

to supplement those you should watch:

Saving Private Ryan (alternativley Saving Ryans Privates or Shaving Ryans Privates)
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
The Thin Red Line

those last four are probably the best of the bunch from the new and modern crop of war movies. you can disregard the rest because as fenric said, they're 'boom boom' films. they were only made to make a quick buck, these films were made for reasons other than money. so get yourself to your local video store and get yourself a copy of each of these and spend a weekend watching. you won't be dissapointed.

ahh zerminski good list, pointed out a few i missed, i like your taste in films ;)

Dirty Dozen
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
Run Silent Run Deep(best submarine movie ever)
And others...

You obviously focus on WWII, or american films.

Rorke's Drift - british film I believe. Excellent movie about the infamous battle of the zulu wars
RAN - Japanese film, set during the age of war. Subtitled and the battle scenes are awesome!
Stalingrad - German film - Shows the war from a german soliders point of view.

Other american films you left out.

Master and Commander - Best navel warfare movie made thus far.
Last Samurai - Maybe alittle hollywood effects in for visual, but excellent movie.
The Patriot - American Revolution setting.
Last of the Mohicans - During the 7 years war, excellent war/love story.
Gettysburg - Epic film covering the days up to the battle at cemetery ridge.
Glory - Civil war movie about the african american conscripts in the union army, one of the best civil war movies.

Theres more, I'm drawing a blank at the moment lol.

Yeah I forgot about Patriot. Oh and Starship Troopers. :)

It's a terrible movie, that makes a theiving murdering rapist into a hero.

Sprafa said:
THE BRIDGE OVER RIVER KWAI
TORA!TORA!TORA!
13 MONKEYS - sure it's not a war movie but it's my all-time favorite

Don't you mean 12 Monkeys?

He was a rapist? When? In the movie?
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

Bridge over the river kwai is my all time fav war movie, i absolutely love it! also Das Boot has to be seen in german otherwise it just isn't good :)

There's tons of classic war movies I have yet to see...

-Apocalypse Now
-Bridge over River Kwai
-Great Escape
-Most other classic war movies listed

I think that Enemy at the gates was a "boom boom" film. It didn't really cover the war so much.. they just followed a couple of badass snipers and their stories.

I really liked "Tora! Tora! Tora!". Anyone else seen it?

Whoa! Here are the missing ones:
-Windtalkers
-We Were Soldiers
-Forest Gump (sort of)

everybody forget about 'We Were Soldiers' ????

EDIT: nm, just saw that post above mine hehe. But i'd hafta say my favourite war movies are

saving private ryan
black hawk down
we were soldiers

The Patriot and Enemy at the Gate have to be the worst war movies ever :/ Saving Private Ryan is disgustingly overated - but ok (if you can bare the ridiculous story)

I'd like to add Glory to the list - havn't seen it for a few years but remember it to be pretty darn good :)

Zerimski said:
  • The Battle of Britain
  • The Dambusters
  • The Great Escape
  • The Guns of Navarone
  • A Bridge Too Far
  • The Deerhunter
  • Born on the Fourth of July
  • Hot Shots
  • Hot Shots Part Deux
  • Zulu
  • M*A*S*H