War of 1812

Reaction score
Okay, I am really curious about this. In Canada we learn about a little something called "The war of 1812" and we are always told that Americans know nothing of this war even though it was a war between Canada and the U.S.

Is this true? Do Americans really know nothing of this war? I'm hoping that most will (without doing research after reading this post).

i'm canadian and i know about it. WE BURNT DOWN THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!! WOOOOOYAAAAAAAA ....no really, we actually burnt it down

EDIT: yes canada was not yet founded, but our ancestors were the ones u were fighting

U.S. Invaded canada, got their asses kicked, britan attempted to capture U.S. Cities, Failed, Lots of battles, two years later nothing much had changed.

Thats about as much as I know about it.

all i know is that you burned down my whitehouse! DIE!

edit: by the time ive responded 4 people already have. *shakes fist*

It was with Britain as well, I think. All of my friends know about it, I know about it.

Edit: You got lucky gh0st, it was five people before me :sniper:

It was a war between US and Britain.

There was no such thing as Canada at that time.

Okay fine so Canada won't be a country for another 52 years, but it is still basically Canada that was in the war.

Except they were british soldiers, and british Naval ships.

But yeah, Basically Canada :rolleyes:

I like this quote here by Thomas Jefferson at the time: "The capture of Canada is a mere matter of marching"

Haha... Canada taking credit for burning the White House... :rolling:

reminds me a of a great three dead trolls in a baggie song.

"and the white house burned burned burned, and we're the ones that did it, it burned burned burned, and the americans ran and cried"

as a russian I can't speak for americans and say they know it.

Here in Florida American History is taught to 8th Graders and 11th Graders. The earlier parts of American History are taught in 8th grade which is up to the Civil War. After that 11th grade picks up from where they left off and goes to about the Cold War Era. But thats if you take normal or honors American History in 11th grade. I took AP US History so where I started in 11th grade was with the Indian tribes that lived there before Columbus and went to the 1990's. We went further and in more detail then the regular classes did. So I know my American History pretty well (I got a 4 on the AP Exam :)). Since most people learned about the War of 1812 in 8th grade here they have no idea what it is after that. Pretty sad actually :/.

The Mullinator said:
I like this quote here by Thomas Jefferson at the time: "The capture of Canada is a mere matter of marching"

Oh dear christ, that's hilarious!

Yes, we are taught about the war of 1812 here in America, although it's really a quick overview really, rather than a full blown, in-depth look at it. It's the one with the ninjas right....right?

The war actually began because Great Britain borded an seized American Ships, despite a trade agreement that allowed free trade between the two nations. The funny thing was that British officials appologized in a letter (in an effort to prevent war) but it didn't reach the states until after the war had already begun. Damn carrier pigeons!

Hah, and it ended similarly... what with the Battle of New Orleans taking place AFTER the treaty due to those damn pigeons... but, hey, worked out well for Jackson... :)

americans wanted freedom of the seas.
they fought britain for a couple of years i think...
at the end they got a treaty with no freedom of the seas and no loss or gain of territory for either side since both agreed to give up the territory they had won during the war. (although i think the us got to move further west but i'm not sure)
americans claimed they got victory.

[edit]oops i think colonel sanders & letters said most of this. i forgot to read the second page.

Well, it seemed like victory at the time to us because the news of the war ending came immediately after the news of Jackson's great victory at New Orleans... people just kinda connected the two without knowing better.

Pressure said:
Here in Florida American History is taught to 8th Graders and 11th Graders. The earlier parts of American History are taught in 8th grade which is up to the Civil War. After that 11th grade picks up from where they left off and goes to about the Cold War Era. But thats if you take normal or honors American History in 11th grade. I took AP US History so where I started in 11th grade was with the Indian tribes that lived there before Columbus and went to the 1990's. We went further and in more detail then the regular classes did. So I know my American History pretty well (I got a 4 on the AP Exam :)). Since most people learned about the War of 1812 in 8th grade here they have no idea what it is after that. Pretty sad actually :/.

I'm in AP US History right now, but I feel like I'm already forgetting a lot of stuff I learned last semester. The first week of May is gonna suck.

I believe it ended in a ceasefire, but I don't remeber because I haven't read about it for a while. Also I don't think that their were any territorial gains made from the war because England no longer had ownership of land in the Americas, but I could be wrong.

The Mullinator said:
Okay, I am really curious about this. In Canada we learn about a little something called "The war of 1812" and we are always told that Americans know nothing of this war even though it was a war between Canada and the U.S.

Is this true? Do Americans really know nothing of this war? I'm hoping that most will (without doing research after reading this post).

The War of 1812 was the second major offensive by the British. I didn't read the other replies, because hearing such a thing offends me. Anway, in The War of 1812
the British even set the White House a blaze. And at that time, the WHite House was actually Brown. It wasn't until it was later rebuilt that it was paintedwhite and dubbed the "White House". Anyway, whoever told you that is a moron. The Canadians were barely involved, even though there was no official "Canada" at the time.

The only such war that really comes to mind is the French and Indian War. In this war, The French-Canadians(Yes, Canada was not a country, but it's still the area)teamed up with The Cherokees and other tribes to combat the British Colonies - Back before the American Rebellion and such.

Anyway, that person(s) is an idiot. I don't know why they would say such a thing, other than they're a jack-ass who hates America.

At the time since there was no Canada the definition of a Canadian could basically have been a British guy living in upper or lower Canada.

Well.
You guys in America have what ? ...500 years of history ? ...Something like that if you don't teach the indian history (and I'm nearly sure you don't)

I'm going to quote Dr. Jones on this one - «I wish I was a Historian in Europe. Out here we have to little details about 500 years. There we need to know the general outline of 3000 years.»

GhostValkyrie said:
The only such war that really comes to mind is the French and Indian War. In this war, The French-Canadians(Yes, Canada was not a country, but it's still the area)teamed up with The Cherokees and other tribes to combat the British Colonies - Back before the American Rebellion and such.

The British were also experiementing with biological warfare at this time giving blankets as 'gifts' to the Indians. However the blankets belonged to people who had smallpox. The Bristish knowing the Indians had little resistance to this was hoping to wipe out large numbers of Indians this way.

OMG weapons of mass destruction!!! lol

Anyway, that person(s) is an idiot. I don't know why they would say such a thing, other than they're a jack-ass who hates America.

Ah get used to it. I find it kind of funny actually.

Hehe...I took the same class. AP US History in 11th grade and I got a 4. :farmer:
Maybe I payed more attention than most people, but we studied the war more than once throughout grade school.

Sprafa said:
Well.
You guys in America have what ? ...500 years of history ? ...Something like that if you don't teach the indian history (and I'm nearly sure you don't)

I'm going to quote Dr. Jones on this one - «I wish I was a Historian in Europe. Out here we have to little details about 500 years. There we need to know the general outline of 3000 years.»

500 years is a bit of a stretch. The Puritans landed in 1628, not even 400 years ago. It's just barely been 230 years since we claimed our Independence from Britain, July 4, 1776.

500 years since Columbus (that was portuguese, not Spanish) discovered America, the Lost Continent.

Sprafa said:
500 years since Columbus (that was portuguese, not Spanish) discovered America, the Lost Continent.

Good lord, do you think we just screw around during school? Of course we learn about the Indians! You just seem to have an extreme hate for america or something....

dfc05 said:
I'm in AP US History right now, but I feel like I'm already forgetting a lot of stuff I learned last semester. The first week of May is gonna suck.

Heh. You'll need to remember cause you get asked questions like, how does the War of 1812 parallel with World War I?

pat_thetic said:
Good lord, do you think we just screw around during school? Of course we learn about the Indians! You just seem to have an extreme hate for america or something....

A typical example of massive overreaction. I hv no hate for no one.
GV said that you didn't. And how can you if there's nothing? I mean, indians lived in an age between B.C. the dark age.

Mostly in the younger grades we do study the Native American's way of life. That also includes Mezoamerica and South America too, so theres quite a bit of material.

Heh Americans know nothing about it? Yeah sure. It happened here and I have learned about it for 3 years straight.

The Mullinator said:

that is my new signature

anyway the biological weapon blankets was american, not british. it only really happened in the early 19th century.

anyways i think we can all agree that if canada in america ever - EVER - went to war - EVER - america would win. i believe it has something to do with... oh wait the US being a better country?

also i dont see what all this is about columbus discovering america. leif erikkson discovered it (he landed at newfoundland), and there is evidence that the corinthians (or phonecians, i forget) got here.

and yeah we do learn a lot about native american history (thus why i know about the biological blankets)

Origianlly posted by Thomas Jefferson? Then HL2 is really 250 years old? 0h noes V4LV3 LI3d T0 US 4G4IN!!!

Sprafa said:

Actually, the Murderous Columbus never even set foot on American Soil. He landed in the Caribbean. And, to be even more to the point of history before the Delcaration, the Vikings landed in America first. I never screwed around in School, or any of the College classes I've taken and am taking.
Not to say you said that, it just seems to be something you're implying.

omg lets start a pwn columbus thread.

was that before or AFTER he murdered half a million natives with foreign diseases and enslavement?

Back